Light-O-Rama Forums

What Did You Get Done Today?

Guest wbottomley

Hopefully got the hook set a little deeper today. B)

I have a co-worker that is interested in LOR.  We had a little show and tell session this afternoon.  I think he'll be doing a 16 channel display this year! 

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Santas Helper

• plasmadrive

• dgrant

• 75redman

Tested my singing pumpkin faces with M6 leds. Worked great in the sequence. Have decided to change out the leds and go with rope lighting. Will start on my portable hole next week. 

Don't know why the font got so small.

My son and I built our first Fog Chiller last night.  :)        After watching the threads on this forum and YouTube videos, we decided on the trash can version.   We used a 3/4 size trash can from Walmart ($6), 25ft of expandable 4" drainage duct from a home improvement store (extended to about 15' and without the holes), a used 4" in-line powered HVAC vent fan ($10) and a trash bag as a dampener/spreader.   The basic design can be found on YouTube using Kip Kay's video.   We're powering it with a Chauvet 1300 (20,000 cfm with a 3.3L tank capacity) that we found at an overstock/off season sale a few months ago.   Very powerful and effective.  

A great feature of this model of chiller is that the fog is trapped from entrance to delivery and doesn't require direct contact with the ice.  The powered fan pulls the fog allowing for a longer chilling chamber.  Theoretically, this should slightly extend the life of the ice (Dry and traditional ice mix).   The duct is heavy duty so it wont collapse or tear under the weight of the ice blocks and wont leak fog or water inside the trash can.  We used foam to seal the can/duct joint and put in a cheap drain cock so we can continue to use the cold water/slurry at the very bottom for cooling even after the ice melts.  The fog is power vent assisted (110v) so it pulls the fog into the chiller and allows easy output directionality no matter where the light wind is coming from.  The model of fogger we chose also allows it to be driven from LOR using a DMX input.     (Pictures are coming)   

We're going to test again tonight and try using slotted drainage tile connected onto the chiller output to see if we can make the fog appear simultaneously from many different locations behind the landscape foliage in an attempt to get it to creep through at the ground level.  

This is going to be GREAT this year !

Edited by Bizywk

My son and I built our first Fog Chiller last night.  :)        After watching the threads on this forum and YouTube videos, we decided on the trash can version.   We used a 3/4 size trash can from Walmart ($6), 25ft of expandable 4" drainage duct from a home improvement store (extended to about 15' and without the holes), a used 4" in-line powered HVAC vent fan ($10) and a trash bag as a dampener/spreader.   The basic design can be found on YouTube using Kip Kay's video.   We're powering it with a Chauvet 1300 (20,000 cfm with a 3.3L tank capacity) that we found at an overstock/off season sale a few months ago.   Very powerful and effective.  

A great feature of this model of chiller is that the fog is trapped from entrance to delivery and doesn't require direct contact with the ice.  The powered fan pulls the fog allowing for a longer chilling chamber.  Theoretically, this should slightly extend the life of the ice (Dry and traditional ice mix).   The duct is heavy duty so it wont collapse or tear under the weight of the ice blocks and wont leak fog or water inside the trash can.  We used foam to seal the can/duct joint and put in a cheap drain cock so we can continue to use the cold water/slurry at the very bottom for cooling even after the ice melts.  The fog is power vent assisted (110v) so it pulls the fog into the chiller and allows easy output directionality no matter where the light wind is coming from.  The model of fogger we chose also allows it to be driven from LOR using a DMX input.     (Pictures are coming)   

We're going to test again tonight and try using slotted drainage tile connected onto the chiller output to see if we can make the fog appear simultaneously from many different locations behind the landscape foliage in an attempt to get it to creep through at the ground level.  

This is going to be GREAT this year !

can you post the link on the chiller from youtube?  Can't seem to find it.

Sure.   I should have done that the first time.  My apologies.     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gncp2FPnk4k

I dont recommend direct contact with the fog machine, or using the flimsy dryer vent hose, but the concept works.   We also used a black garbage back in lieu of the add-on box. 

It has no bacon references, but I hope this helps!

Edited by Bizywk

LOL are you serious? :)

Each bulb "shares" the voltage. As each bulb burns out, it on longer takes its "share" of voltage and the others get a little more. Once 2 or 3 burn out you're now overvoltaging all the other bulbs in the series, and they'll burn out faster, and the problem cascades...

Who knew? I just started using the bad sets as extension cords. Guess I can add back another 1500 lights or so.

Sure.   I should have done that the first time.  My apologies.     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gncp2FPnk4k

I dont recommend direct contact with the fog machine, or using the flimsy dryer vent hose, but the concept works.   We also used a black garbage back in lieu of the add-on box. 

It has no bacon references, but I hope this helps!

Not legit without bacon references!!

I completed two additional arches and fabricated the base-ring for my second megatree. Did a second "Tune To" sign, one now for each side of the yard. Been fixing things in the sequencing but so far, I'm not adding any additional songs since I had 28 already done from last year.

My wife just bought me a new laptop to replace our 9y old Dell XPS.   Woohoo!     Now we have a cutting edge laptop to run the lights and I wont have to figure out how to use my desktop.  (Apparently she hasn't figured out yet how much this effort has cost us this year.)

Its a Win 8 computer.   I spent way too much time getting it to resolve a com port problem with the LOR RS485 adapter.  After playing with it for about 3hours, it just started working.    I powered off, and came back again tonight to find it not finding the com port again.   

It finally started working when I used our back-up LOR adapter (USB-RS485-HS ) I ordered when I saw the new high speed ones come out a few months ago.     I'm not convinced that was the problem, but it started controlling the lights immediately afterward.   Has anyone else had trouble getting the sequencing software to run the lights on the Win 8 operating system?

No video?!

No video till about Dec.  I did set up a couple of set of them just to see how they would look.. Other than that.. nothing to see yet. 

Well today just started but later today, I have to trouble shoot an element. Only half of 250 pixels are working properly. Yesterday however, I soldered up my back-up E1.31 to DMX bridge. That will be tested this afternoon as well.

Figured out exactly how many icicles strips I will need and thier placement on the house.  I was winging it until yesterday. Only causing minor changes in the finish program.

Figured out that it would be way easier to hand EMT on the back side of the eves and then hang the icicles from the EMT.  That should make installation much faster and easier. 

I just finished up working with the Demented Elf for a few inexpensive voice overs to be broadcast between songs to inform and help our viewers stay out of hot water with the neighbors.    I'm trying to get ahead of neighbor problems with helpful instructions to the viewers about blocked driveways, safety, dimming lights, driving on the grass, etc.  He also did a few short humor bits and a quick promotion voiceover directing our viewers to our favorite charity's website.  I think it will really add a level of professionalism to the display.     

Its much better to address issues before they happen, especially given that common sense isnt equally distributed to all.    At least, if my neighbors are inconvenienced, they know I tried.    The Demented Elf was Very Fast, professional and thorough.  He did a GREAT job setting us up for success.    

Finished the base ring for my second megatree, now start on building 32, '50 SPT1 extension cords. Just fabricating at least one thing each day till its all ready to install. The day after Halloween comes down, Christmas starts going up.