Light-O-Rama Forums

What Did You Get Done Today?

Guest wbottomley

I wouldn't think of it as a bad thing. You will be greatful in the future when you actually do need one at the last minute.

I have a couple of them because you never know.

That, and I'm bad about missplacing things myself. ;)

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Santas Helper

• plasmadrive

• dgrant

• 75redman

Got the mini trees up and connected. Got up all of the props at ground level now wired too. Radio freq signs and so on. Started wiring bushes. Can't do the lights on the megatrees yet till the ground dries out some more. Similar for the rest of the roof too, waiting on the roof to dry.

Can't do the lights on the megatrees yet till the ground dries out some more. Similar for the rest of the roof too, waiting on the roof to dry.

Same here with my mega tree and wet grounds. This weekend will be a good time for me. Great weather and dry conditions.

unrolled, labeled and rerolled last years zip cords.   went from 32 to 96 channels this year so many existing cords will be reassinged and many more will be made.

8 mini trees completed, mega tree completed and two songs sequenced. At least 4 songs left to sequence, have to put everything out in the yard this weekend and wire everything. Wish I had two months to finish the show instead of two weeks!

Wish I had two months to finish the show instead of two weeks!

Hey don't short change yourself if lighting up on Thanksgiving. it's three weeks. ;)

Hey everybody. Three weeks from today!!! If firing up Thanksgiving evening.

Same here with my mega tree and wet grounds. This weekend will be a good time for me. Great weather and dry conditions.

Yeah, I got the mini-trees out there and connected along with a few other props but was quickly turning the grass into mud so I had to stop. Yes, this weekend looks great to get it all done.

Put in the long rebar stakes for my mini trees (holds them over the hedge)

Started wrapping trees.

Found out the hard way that my power calculations for the Plasma Icicles was right.  I knew I needed a bigger supply then the 250 watt one.. calculates at about 350 watts.. so I have intentionally not programmed ALL WHITE on all icicles.. Well I got carried away and forgot about the fact that I need to add a supply... and I programmed one spot ALL WHITE on all icicles.... When it tripped off the first time I thought, WTF?  I rebooted thinking may communications.. no joy.. then I powered down the supply and then back up.. it worked.. thought that was odd.. played the song again.. same spot it went out.. looked at my program.. DOH!   Stupid me. 

So this supply is mounted under the 2nd story eve in a spot that is easy to get to with the forklift.. so today I will add another supply and split the line.. I hate it when I forget stuff like that.. DOH!

After mounting my pixels, I discovered some distances were off. So I spent last night slaving over a hot soldering iron changing leads and connectors.

Steady progress, that's all I ask for!

... Today's work involved tools by Stihl and Husqvarna and now the view onto the display is much better :-) put a new chain on the shopping list for next year's display...

Seems I always start new things at the very last moment. Just got a couple 8 flood rgb kits. I know I want to do something, Just can't decide what idea I'm gonna try and cram in.

Last summer, someone gave me their old trampoline frame to use for my fan.  I got it done and holding up very well against the wind today.  Can't wait to fire it up and see how it looks.  It was more work than last years setup, but it's bigger and made some modifications from last year.  Next year need to add more channels and lights to it to fill it in better.

Also made a lot of progress on my project in my work room this last week, currently way ahead of schedule on it.

Got the 19,200 LED lights hung on the 33' mega tree. It's all down hill from here on out. :)

That's not counting the star and the American flag is it?

Papa

Rebuilt 24 meteor tubes with "real" wire and must longer so I could put them a distance apart.  Hung half the meteor tubes in the bigger of the two trees. 

Finished wrapping my last front tree.. That thing has grown a lot since last year.

Hit the 85% mark on my last song programming.

Completed 4 colors on the roof peaks, valleys, ridges and downspouts.   :)

Tonight will put more lenses on the technicolor strings.... the never-ending task......  :blink:

Yesterday, I got 750 super-bright LED lights hung on my gutters (Red, Blue, Clear) hung on my gutters.  Today, I finished by running the extension cords to them and just finished testing them tonight - I could not believe how bright they were.  My Kill-a-Watt meter said that I was pulling approximately 57 Watts from all of them, which is a lot less than what I was pulling last year with the same amount of incandescents.

Last year, my landscape bushes were LED and this year my gutters will be LED too.  Next year, hope to convert my yard decor (candy canes, penguins, deer, etc) to LED and then my display will be considered 100% LED.  But I'll take what my wallet will give me at this point.

not getting as far as I would like!!!!!  have the 4 real trees strung with lights have the wire frames put in place my singing Santa in place and my mega tree put up. But the mega tree dose not seem right I think my pole is to short the base seems to wide (ok insert pun) so I may redo that tomorrow morning. still need to get the house lights up and cords run. Starting to get to panic mode that I am getting way to far behind

After 2 days fighting with a 64 channel Mega tree, I have 8 or12 zip ties to put on, put power to the controllers, and she's ready to go.