• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Santas Helper

• plasmadrive

• dgrant

• 75redman

omg I am so behind just finished putting the waterproof plugs on my dumb pixel tree lights got the controllers programmed and ready now just have to mount lights on pole  wow so behind lol

Tested all lights and equipment. Made contact with some one for getting a Rohn25 radio tower. Made a fantasy list of more lights and controllers. Tomorrow try to make fantasy a reality!

Finished putting the lights on the upper part of the 40' redwoods.  Now I can finish them off with a ladder. 

They grew about 4' taller this year.... can't reach the top with the bucket truck, had to use a pole.  Maybe one or two more years tops then I will have to figure out something else. 

Finished putting the lights on the upper part of the 40' redwoods.  Now I can finish them off with a ladder. 

They grew about 4' taller this year.... can't reach the top with the bucket truck, had to use a pole.  Maybe one or two more years tops then I will have to figure out something else. 

Do they sell cranes on Craigs List? :lol:

Do they sell cranes on Craigs List? :lol:

Not so much me thinks.. unless of course if I find one I can store it at your house!   :P

YESTERDAY, KIDS ON THE ROOF, ME ON THE LADDER

WE INSERTED 600 FEET (4X150FT PIECES WHITE, RED, BLUE, GREEN) OF LED ROPE LIGHT INTO CLEAR PLASTIC 4 FT LONG CHANNELS, AIMING ALL BULBS CAREFULLY.

THEN WE PLACED ONE FOOT SECTIONS OF EXPANDED ALUMINUM THAT WAS BENT AND PAINTED TO MATCH THE BROWN FASCIA ONTO THE FASCIA,

EACH ONE FOOT SECTION OF ALUMINUM WAS PRELACED WITH 8 ZIP TIES TO ACCOMODATE 4 EVENLY SPACED ROWS OF ROPE LIGHT EVERY FOUR FOOT ON CENTER . 8 TIES WERE DONE TO CAPTURE JUST ONE END OF EACH 4 FOOR SECTION WHERE IT JOINED ANOTHER. 

THEN WE ZIP TIED THE 4 CHANNELS TO THE ALUMINUM TO MAKE NICE STRAIGHT ROWS, WHILST GOING UP AND DOWN A 20 FOOT LADDER,(SEEMED LIKE 500 TIMES) SOMETIMES WORKING FROM THE TOP RUNG FULLY EXTENDED .

THE HEIGHT MADE ME A LITTLE NERVOUS AT FIRST BUT AFTER A COUPLE OF 6 PACKS I WAS SWINGING FROM THE EAVES.

ALL JOKING ASIDE IT WAS A GRUELING 12 HOUR DAY YESTERDAY BUT THE RESULT LOOKS GREATAND I AM EXCITED ABOUT THE SHOWS TO COME.

I HAD TO COME BACK TO WORK TO REST UP FOR.NEXT WEEKEND WE MAY TRY AND TIP UP THE 27' 32 CHANNEL 6400 LIGHT MEGA TREE.

TOO MUCH FUN

This weekend I replaced the warm white LED light rope in front of my 17 roses with WS2811 smart strip.  This also meant that 1 DC controller was removed from service and a SanDevices E6804 went into service.  Then modified last year's Pre-Halloween evening sequence to reflect the lighting change.  Got that done about a half hour after dark so I switched to the Pre-Halloween show.  Still need to update the Halloween show.

got all my adapters set up on computer tested  a OK  strung out cat 5 cable going to put waterproof ends on them tomorrow for outside

Lit up my Christmas Trees along the driveway.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/51bf6e6kznkte1x/IMG_3453.JPG

Today I light up the windows on the house.  Got them up ealier but now I need to add controllers and do some testing. 

Can't start on the lawn area for another two weeks when the grass should have really slowed down growing for the season... I hope!

Took down Halloween and put up the wreath and last two window frames, yesterday. Today, its trim the bushes in prep to install lights and I'll start the megatrees. Rain coming next week again so hoping to get the roof lights up before then.

Our first Halloween show is now under our belt which also serves as our test for Christmas.  Many of the props are numerically identical from a programming standpoint between Halloween and Christmas  - 8 tombstones get swapped for 8 tri-color tomato cages for example.   Now we know where to focus our remaining time for improvement between now and the first weekend after Thanksgiving when the big show kicks off!   The Christmas ground props are in the basement ready to go out the day after Thanskgiving.     The excitement is reaching critical mass and we cant wait!     :D

What a thrill it was this week to look out at 50+ neighbors standing in front of our home with eyes wide snapping pictures and taking video.   

Finally finished all of the ladder & roof work. From here on out, the balance of my setup is done with these two big feet planted solidly on terra firma.

I've been meaning to chime here lately, but I've been so busy (I'm way behind schedule).  What I got accomplished tonight (about 6 hours worth of work):

- Got all my LED lights for my shrubs and tree tested and counted

- Got LED lights for gutters tested and counted

- Ordered more LED lights from Greg at Seasonal Entertainment 

- Mounted Three LOR controllers to black metal stands (from Christmas Light Show)

- Ordered Two more LOR Controller stands (from Christmas Light Show)

- Figured out what new songs are going to be in this year's show (only adding two new songs - both from Kelly Clarkson's new Christmas album "Wrapped in Red").  Other sequences from past years will get new elements and minor updates

- Started sequencing a little bit (had time while watching my Michigan State Spartans beat up on the Michigan Wolverines)

- Figured out what I need to order for security - cameras, DVR, etc, and will put in order with vendor next week (it works when you do camera installations for a living and can get wholesale price)  :)

Overall, I think tonight was my first productive night I have had in a few weeks.  Things have been so busy lately (between finishing school and my job hunting) that next thing I know, November 1st showed up and I said "I need to get started".

I won't start setup for probably two more weeks, I'm thinking, since I'll be able to wrap everything up in about a week.  Last year I did setup week of Thanksgiving, this year, however, I might start a week earlier depending on a few things.

was going to start setting up my mega trees on the roof...but 60mph gusts of wind kept me inside and working out some RGB bugs...

yesterday was calm and a balmy 64 degrees...

go figure...

Edited by jimswinder

was going to start setting up my mega trees on the roof...but 60mph gusts of wind kept me inside and working out some RGB bugs...

yesterday was calm and a balmy 64 degrees...

go figure...

not afraid of something falling over are you jim lol