Light-O-Rama Forums

What Did You Get Done Today?

Guest wbottomley

That's an aweful lot of cord running. :P

You know. I feel your pain. besides running more cords for new LED floods this year, I'm going around and revamping all my other display cords as I set them up. Calling it cable management. I'm paying the price this year on time (with nice weather here lately) but it SHOULD be a lot easier in the future.

So what's up for today? running more cords?

My hope today is to (yes, working with cords) get my 45 channels hooked up for my arch (cut, strip and place quick disconnect on all wires, 60 connectors in all). Then do the same exact thing for my mega tower LED floods. So both events will be dealing with... you guessed it. CORDS. ;)

YUP!  More cords when the rain stops!  LOL.  I am either almost done, or just almost out of cords.. not sure which, but I sure hope the first one..  I do have about 1500' of SPT-2 left, but I don't have enough ends to make too many more multi drops.. hopefully I won't have to....

Depends on how good you are at setting up! You might have it down to a science and all steps are proven. It took me a week to get mine all up plus a rain delay. Mine's all done and ready to run.

Show off!   :P

I made the mistake of NOT LABELING my cords last year.. so I spent about an hour or two figuring it out.. and moving them around.. aaaahhhhh  :blink:

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Santas Helper

• plasmadrive

• dgrant

• 75redman

Depends on how good you are at setting up! You might have it down to a science and all steps are proven. It took me a week to get mine all up plus a rain delay. Mine's all done and ready to run.

It not only depends on how good you are... but how much you have to set up.

I am not so sure I am that good.. obviously!  :wacko:   But I do have a bit to setup.. not like some of ya though.. mine is minor compared to a lot of others.. Only have 16 of the LOR controllers so only about 250 discrete channels to cord.  The rest are either pixels (3300) or DMX with multi plugs (96). 

Just went out in the rain and fixed (read corrected) some of my cable/controller positions.. Found my clipboard with all the printed controller configs on it.. and my glasses, and my highlighter and my glasses... All soaked.  Doh!    Did you know that yellow highlighter washes off in the rain?  So I have to remember what I plugged in and what I did not.. again... DOH! :blink:

Yeah, I'm not quite as elaborate as some of the videos I've seen in here...more next year! Still, it took a week, overall, to set up here with the rain delays. I'm only doing 112 channels this year, plus the one CCR. Based on the size of the yard, about the only thing I can add is more CCR's or get into RGB next year.

Got everything done except last 35 extension cords 

got last 35 extensions

ran a test on what I have done

Was told by wife my Mega Tree needs a lot more lights........................

Finished the connecting LED floods on my meag tree tower to the 3 controllers.

Today, hopefully get the mega arch connected (up in the attic).

Nasty weather coming in for the next few days.

Jabbed my left thumb with the cordless drill. Don't ask. Figured out that thumbs are crucial in making extension cords. Should be testing by Monday. Cutting it close.

bought a 10 foot fake tree to replace the tree that blew over in the wind storm we had last weekend also got my controllers mounted and power run to them to keep them warm as we have frigid weather coming. hoping to get fake tree up tomorrow and some of the cords made and run want to start testing this weekend as this is my first year doing this hope I did not cut my self to short :unsure:  

100% up and wired.  Everything is running but I have a few strings out that need fixing and one dumb strip.. other then that it seems to be working..

Oh yeah.. I was running one of my show sequences last night and the thing ran about 3/4 the way thru then completely went out of sync.. ran it again.. same thing.. This was a first.. so now it is troubleshooting time..  Other shows ran fine.. just not this one.. but I had run it many times before I got the complete LOR chain of controllers up and running.. We shall see how it goes.. All the rest seem to be fine, so maybe a corrupt data transfer to the laptop. 

Oh crud.. I forgot my sign too!  Thanks Papa

Just finished setting up my 'mega?' tree.  It's only about 16' tall to the top of the star and has 16 strands, but it's all mine.

Just have the 6 arches to do next week then the bulk of the display will be in.

One week from tomorrow!

well today I got my last rebar driven in the ground and also repaired my dish cable as yesterday  I drove the stake fro one of my controllers right through the cable got home last night and could not watch any TV :wacko: tomorrow last tree goes up and start running cords

well today I got my last rebar driven in the ground and also repaired my dish cable as yesterday  I drove the stake fro one of my controllers right through the cable got home last night and could not watch any TV :wacko: tomorrow last tree goes up and start running cords

That's ok...I drove a stake through a water sprinkler line when installing simple tomato cage trees.

Well Mr. Snow Miser blew in over night, not dropping snow but dropping temps and increasing winds. :angry:

So this evening is a sequence catch-up day. :D

Got the mega arch wired and tested yesterday before Mr. Snow Miser showed up.

All I have left are the mini trees which I plan to do tomorrow. I might need an ice pick to get the metal stakes in the ground B) . But that's okay.

Then set out the cords for them and hook them up. Then testing for the next several days.

Mr. Snow Miser is returning Sunday possibly dropping snow this time so I need to get the mini trees done tomorrow (note to self)

So really, mini trees and tweaking sequences with the new floods and I'm good to go for Thanksgiving evening. :)

Went to the md who told me I have viral respiratory infection, so set up is at a stand still right now. I did set up 10 Holidaycoro Hexa trees with RGB modules and made sure they were ready to go (I could do that inside) That was perfect. Just can't go outside and do anything else or I'm toast.

Went to the md who told me I have viral respiratory infection, so set up is at a stand still right now. I did set up 10 Holidaycoro Hexa trees with RGB modules and made sure they were ready to go (I could do that inside) That was perfect. Just can't go outside and do anything else or I'm toast.

ooooh, I've had that stuff. nasty too. :(

And not good timing either.

But hope you get well soon. ;)

Sorry to hear about the infection. Not a good time for that - not that any time is good!

How do you like the Hexa trees? I was looking at those for next year.

This is my first year with LOR. I don't have much room so I went with the smaller version. I don't have any frame of reference as I have never seen a display in person with mini trees. If someone could tell me how to take a video in the dark I can post one.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I fear I may miss my Dec 1st opening night.

Last year, I had 16 '4 to '6 trees out there, tied to 16 channels, but, I kept having the wind take them down. So I resorted to strings and stakes, but the cheap bases twisted and broke so even though I got through the season, it was a joke. This year, I'm using 16 '2 trees, so the wind can't have as much impact. I did place a few of the other taller trees out there, but used rebar in the ground and zipties to hold them to the rebar. So far, so good. Also, last year, I sort of had the 16 scattered around for a forest effect, but looking at the many display videos in here, I came to appreciate having 16 lined up instead. I've tested it of course already and so far, I think it looks better this way with the mini trees.