Light-O-Rama Forums

What Did You Get Done Today?

Guest wbottomley

Thought I was about ready, but ran the test utility and discovered quite a few incan strings not working. :(. They were working when I last put them away - on my prebuilt window frames.

How do you guys find the bad acting incans?

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Santas Helper

• plasmadrive

• dgrant

• 75redman

Thought I was about ready, but ran the test utility and discovered quite a few incan strings not working. :(. They were working when I last put them away - on my prebuilt window frames.

First switched to LEDs, they seem to work year after year. Also, I check every strain before it goes a foot off the ground. To find bad bulbs that may affect a whole string I just get a hand full of new bulbs and start a pull and replace from bulb one to the end, but ALWAYS check fuses FIRST!

Good Luck

I use one of the small inductive voltage testers. Works great for incans. Doesn't work at all for LEDs

Froze my a$$ off.  That is what I did today.  High of 31 degrees and very windy.

But got tons of stuff done in 5 hours with the help of two elves.  :)

Put up icicles, Holdman star, snowman. That finished with getting things out in the biggest part of the yard.  Three controllers hooked up and did a little mini-show for my self. :)

All I have left to put out are 2 trees, polar bear, 2 deer, FM sign, and mega-tree.  :wacko:

Well got the mini trees in place and hooked up. :)

But I'm having bleed over from another channel on 4 of them :angry:

So troubleshooting in the next day or so when the snow (that forecasted to come in in the morning) goes bye-bye.

After that, pretty much running tests and setting up the show in the editor.

Oh, and tweaking other sequences for the new floods.

Took some video of those floods tonight. I'll see if I can get them posted.

Those 10W LED RGB floods rock!!! B)

With the exception of 2 Corostars, that are plaguing me, I'm done. Will check sequences throughout the week and make notes for tweaking, but all in all, I'm ready for LIGHTS ON.

Display is 95% in-place.  Now, that the temps are plummeting, I still need to place all of the controllers and wire everything up.

Had most of my lights up last weekend. Today I ran cords and then made cords and ran cords and then... Well it's the same over and over

Used the HW and saw 1 blue strand out on my garage roof. Still need to run cord to the 16- 2 channel each mini trees and push 1800 lights into the coro dancing Santa. I have to get more done tonight once the kiddo goes to sleep. I want to get done before I leave to pick up the hubby. He is done getting delayed and will be home on tuesday.

Since we go to my folks 7 hours away for turkey day, he is flying to my hometown. He won't get to see the display until next Saturday and I go live Sunday 1 December.

Just hoping the lights survive the wind gusts we are getting right now

Pulled out the Pixel tree from the storage shed and set it up on a trashcan in the driveway.  Hooked up the computer so I could update the firmware on the E682 and the computer could not get any response from it - Oh Crap!  Found that the ethernet module had become partially unplugged.  Plugged it in fully and then I could do the firmware update - Thank goodness!  Fired up sequence editor to do a test, and everything worked.  Attached the rebuilt pixel star and did a little re-wiring so it could be used with the E682 that drives the tree.  Once it was hooked up, tested the star, and other than having string 1 and 4 reversed, it worked just fine.  Put the tree in place, mounted the power supply under the eve and stuffed the power and ethernet cables through the conduit stub through the wall into the attic.  Dinner got called, so I will go up to the attic tomorrow to plug in the two cables, and then test from the show computer.  Lights up next Friday at 7:00 PM...

Frickin cold today.  Managed to get my Ball Tree up today.  Tomorrow get the second burst up on the roof.  Hopefully start some testing tomorrow night.  I did get some indoor projects done in my lab today.  I'm getting antsy to get my lab makeover done soon.

Frickin cold today.  Managed to get my Ball Tree up today.  Tomorrow get the second burst up on the roof.  Hopefully start some testing tomorrow night.  I did get some indoor projects done in my lab today.  I'm getting antsy to get my lab makeover done soon.

Jim, kinda curious on the "lab" deal. Wanna  show a pic? ;)

Of course, the burst set-up too. :)

Started up a simple animation show which "teases" the neighborhood. Just a few strings slowly fading on/off. This coming Thursday, same animation will start up 30 minutes earlier, ending one minute before the main show begins and during that one minute, another animation will begin with a countdown of my 16 minitrees, 3.75 seconds each, then when done, the magic begins at exactly 6Pm...its going to dazzle the neighborhood!

Yesterday was horribly windy and then horribly windy and cold. But I finally finished wiring the mini-mega tree! This year it went from 3 channels(silver/gold/red) to a full 24 so it could imitate our larger mega tree. Ran a couple sequences last night around 11pm and it's awesome having two trees you can spin. :D

Biggest thing left to do is trouble shoot our nine 5' trees. Some of them have half the lights out so I'm hoping for something simple like a cord is unplugged or maybe a mouse chewed through something. Otherwise it's click, click, click, click, click, click for me. :D

In the past 2 days i have put up mega tree with 16 channels, Nativity scene, train delivering gifts to mega tree, arches ,still have about  30000 lights to go. Hopefully will be done in about 2 to 3 days ,turning the system on Black Friday don't have much time left.   

Jim, kinda curious on the "lab" deal. Wanna  show a pic? ;)

Of course, the burst set-up too. :)

Not doing pics till it's done.  Room is currently a mess.  I doubt I'll have it done before Christmas, so don't hold your breath.  I need to have a lot of Patience for this project.  Patience is a hint, but I won't respond to any guesses.  

Everything up. First test run. FAIL! :blink:

Seems when I set up in the basement, the pixels worked fine with two supplies running four universes. But on the house I had to extend power lines to two of my universes. That extension dropped the voltage just enough to cause glitches in those two universes. Placed an order for two more supplies, two day shipping. Fingers...and toes...crossed. :unsure:

Everything up. First test run. FAIL! :blink:

Seems when I set up in the basement, the pixels worked fine with two supplies running four universes. But on the house I had to extend power lines to two of my universes. That extension dropped the voltage just enough to cause glitches in those two universes. Placed an order for two more supplies, two day shipping. Fingers...and toes...crossed. :unsure:

That is why I used the DC-DC converters on the Plasma Icicles.. That voltage drop is a killer some times.  Hope your supplies make it in time.. You are early enough to not be in the Christmas rush so you should be fine. 

What about your data stream?  How is that for distance?  Noise? 

Just completed another sequence to add to the show. Been wanting to do that one, so will test it tonight on the house to see if it needs more or less than what I just did. From the Polar Express movie, "Christmas Comes to Town". Pain in the posterior to get my snowman to light up properly as the voice of the little boy singing it. Lots and lots of fade ups and downs all through the song for him. Someone at LOR could write some cool code to do voices to a channel! Differentiating the voice from background music would take a super computer though.