Light-O-Rama Forums

What Did You Get Done Today?

Guest wbottomley

It was a great weekend just past up here in Calgary Canada!

Got my 8mini trees ups with two colors each, my 4' stars, two color eves icicles, and my "jump" tree. 12 channels-3color- 4 channels each. When searching for design ideas for the JUMP I found a bunch of different ideas, ended up going with 2" rigid with 1 1/2" inside. There are lots of posts and videos about how to build and what to build and how to set up/ down the pole but no one seems to post stringing the actual lights... That is a job onto its self... Especially for a first timer... Lol

Just the windows to out line left and run the cords. Will post a video when done so all you old pros and let me know how I did for a newbee

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Santas Helper

• plasmadrive

• dgrant

• 75redman

Plasmadrive, you should name the bad guys. It's like waking into a buffet and being told, "Don't eat what I ate!" Leaves you wondering which item to avoid!

uumm... I don't know Bob... maybe a good point..   Against my better judgement.. PRODCtoDC is the company. 

I had one converter go to 6.6vdc and take out two strings of Plasma Icicles.  That was after being up for about a week.  In the mean time I found a high percentage of converters that were shorted V+ output to the heatsink.  So when grounded, they completely shorted out.  These were supposedly made to work in vehicle.. try screwing the bad ones down to a chassis and see how what works for ya.   Anyway, after may bad ones they said it couldn't be their fault and stopped responding after I showed them a video of me testing some by poking my meter leads thru the unopened packages to show the short..  Wound up getting a partial refund via PayPal after I lodged a dispute.

OK.. I felt I had to explain if I coughed up the name.. Sorry for the rant.. but there you go.. 

Let's see... Painted the house for the first half of my vacation last week and got half of my lights up the other half of the week, and sequenced every night. Back to work Sunday morning, woke up and found out that that I had no cream for my coffee, so I had some Monster Energy drink and used that in my coffee instead and got halfway to work before I realized I forgot my car. But seriously hopefully the weather will clear today or tomorrow so I can finish the lights. 

Just accidentally destroyed my mega tree star. Reminder: never try to drill out a steel mounting plate after having a beer.

Placed a rush order on Christmaslightshow... new star arrives Friday. Booyah!

Just accidentally destroyed my mega tree star. Reminder: never try to drill out a steel mounting plate after having a beer.

Placed a rush order on Christmaslightshow... new star arrives Friday. Booyah!

It probably would have work out if you had that first beer... think for a bit... have a second beer... THEN drill the plate.

Works every time :D

It probably would have work out if you had that first beer... think for a bit... have a second beer... THEN drill the plate.

Works every time :D

Smart. :lol:  

I'm at about 75% setup, was originally planning to turn on Friday evening but still have stuff to get setup, plugged in, and tested.  Found out I ran out of extension cords, so I need to make some more (something for me to do while watching football on Thanksgiving).

As for sequences, I have no idea where I'm at with that.  I think I'm at 80% complete on those, but again, I've been so side-tracked with other projects and things on my mind that the display has taken a back seat for the time being.  It's kind of hard to do setup in 20* weather by yourself.  And they say Global Warming is on the way....  :lol:

Smart. :lol:  

Yep, I've always had to pause between and think about it. Works pretty well so far. :D

I always say... with moderation, think and drink, or drink, think and drink, or something like that. ;)

All kidding aside, I like to have my beer, BUT only when I know my limits for climbing and such.

Have fun BUT be safe doing it!!!

Makes me smart??? I don't know.

But havin fun while doin it.... you bet-cha :)

Final Test done and all systems are a go!!!

If the new hacked floods can handle this season.... Look out!!! B)

If they work great this season I won't have to come to your place to see your show, i'll just get on my roof!

If they work great this season I won't have to come to your place to see your show, i'll just get on my roof!

:lol:

That's funny right there. Don't care who you are...

:lol:  Sorry, I'm still laughing here.

Same here. All done, tested, fixed as needed. Computer is running already. All controllers showing up properly. Teaser display starts at 5:00 till 5:59, then a one minute countdown display will begin...then the Griswolds happen at exactly 6Pm.

Ran through a full show tonight for the neighbors. I have a tweak or two to do also. other than that, I'm ready to go live tomorrow night. Good luck all.

Been getting up those damn leaves today. Set the mini trees out. Since you can't find stakes the length you need, there is only one thing to do.  Make your own, get the rebar cut to length and bend it. Hope to get the spiral tree up tomorrow. Show will start tomorrow spiral tree or not.

DRUM ROLL PLEASE......

Corrected a wiring error :wacko: and pixels all working!  Some minor touch ups left on a couple of sequences and it's show time tonite. :D