Light-O-Rama Forums

Waiting on S3

Larry Leonhardt

So when will we find out about upgrading the current license to the S3 upgrade? I'm sure I'm among those that DO NOT get the free upgrade, so it would have been nice to know and be able to BUY at least the license upgrade for either Superstar or S3.

When S3 is released, you will be able to purchase a license level upgrade, a SuperStar license, and/or a license renewal.

Question though, if you already have the advanced license and don't upgrade to SuperStar, how are you going to upgrade to the same Advanced License you currently have in S2 to S3.

In that case, you can purchase a license renewal.

As from what I'm reading and understanding, this only works if going from a lower license to a higher one. What if you're already at the top (Advanced) licensing level and can't or don't want the SuperStar, but want to be able to use S3.

Going from a lower license level to a higher license level is a "license level upgrade". A license level upgrade counts as a license renewal, but you can purchase a license renewal without purchasing a license level upgrade.

Just exactly how is the lioense going to know if it's an S2 or an S3 license?

When you first install version 3.0.0, your computer (likely) will not know. And so it will kick you into demo mode. But you can then reactivate your license: Just go into the Sequence Editor's "Help / Register Light-O-Rama" and click "Register" (your license name and key should automatically be filled out there for you already). Your computer will then ask LOR's licensing server, which (assuming your license supports 3.0) will tell your computer that the license is valid for 3.0.

What are the differences in the two between the two software programs?

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. Could you please rephrase it?

As I'm also certain from what I've read the current S2 license won't work in S3. So I (and I'm positive I'm not alone in this) want to know how this particular upgrade will work in this respect.

I'm not sure that I understand this one either. Some current licenses won't (initially) work in S3, but some will. And those that won't initially work in S3 can be made to work in S3 by purchasing a license renewal (or upgrade, or a SuperStar license).

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• bob

• JBullard

• Surfing4Dough

Orville wrote:

So when will we find out about upgrading the current license to the S3 upgrade? I'm sure I'm among those that DO NOT get the free upgrade, so it would have been nice to know and be able to BUY at least the license upgrade for either Superstar or S3.

Question though, if you already have the advanced license and don't upgrade to SuperStar, how are you going to upgrade to the same Advanced License you currently have in S2 to S3. As from what I'm reading and understanding, this only works if going from a lower license to a higher one. What if you're already at the top (Advanced) licensing level and can't or don't want the SuperStar, but want to be able to use S3.

As I'm also certain from what I've read the current S2 license won't work in S3. So I (and I'm positive I'm not alone in this) want to know how this particular upgrade will work in this respect.

Orville,

Retreive your licence then reread this thread.

The information is there. If you are currently elegible for S3 your license will say so. Bob said so in this thread.

If you are eligible, you do nothing. If not you purchase a new licence. That simple.

I'd guess that everyone and his mother is trying to retrieve their license info. I've been unable to load the retrieval page for at least 20 minutes.

mmaness wrote:

I'd guess that everyone and his mother is trying to retrieve their license info. I've been unable to load the retrieval page for at least 20 minutes.
I just tried again..went right through...

DANG!!! License still doesn't have S3 support!!! :(

you may also want to check your "Junk Mail"..that's where mine was...

mmaness wrote:

I just tried, and it worked OK for me; maybe I got lucky. An alternate way to check (which might have the same problem anyway, but hey) would be to go to:

http://lightorama.com/licenseCheck.html

On that page, you'll have to enter both your email address and the first five characters of your license key. It will then display the answer to you on your screen, rather than emailing the answer to you.

jimswinder wrote:

mmaness wrote:
I'd guess that everyone and his mother is trying to retrieve their license info.  I've been unable to load the retrieval page for at least 20 minutes. 
I just tried again..went right through...

DANG!!!  License still doesn't have S3 support!!!  :(

you may also want to check your "Junk Mail"..that's where mine was...

Mine doesn't either Jim. I will be paying to upgrade also. Make you feel any better?

Jeff Millard wrote:

Don't worry John, I caught the free license number the vikester posted too. I'll send it to you but when you, me, mmaness and vikester hit 5 seats, you have to call in to get the number of seats bumped up a few... :(

Guys, I'm more excited right now for the release than I was when I got the first Beta weeks ago! :D:D:D

Bob, Thank you thank you thank you for the Help file and the info on the Licenses. We all really appreciate it very much!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, and vikester :D

JBullard wrote:

Mine doesn't either Jim. I will be paying to upgrade also. Make you feel any better?

Nope...other than me, YOU were the one I was hoping wouldn't have to pay either...

:(

Don wrote:

Orville wrote:

Question though, if you already have the advanced license and don't upgrade to SuperStar, how are you going to upgrade to the same Advanced License you currently have in S2 to S3. As from what I'm reading and understanding, this only works if going from a lower license to a higher one. What if you're already at the top (Advanced) licensing level and can't or don't want the SuperStar, but want to be able to use S3.

Orville,

Retreive your licence then reread this thread.

The information is there. If you are currently elegible for S3 your license will say so. Bob said so in this thread.

If you are eligible, you do nothing. If not you purchase a new licence. That simple.

Then this is telling me I have to pay the same full price to upgrade my license to S3 as I did when I first purchased my Advanced License? If that's true, then I won't be upgrading to S3 period and will have to stay with S2. I am NOT going to pay full price for what I consider an upgrade.:X:X:X

Then this is telling me I have to pay the same full price to upgrade my license to S3 as I did when I first purchased my Advanced License? If that's true, then I won't be upgrading to S3 period and will have to stay with S2. I am NOT going to pay full price for what I consider an upgrade.:X:X:X

No, it's not telling you that at all.

I don't know what the price of a license renewal will be (I am not involved in the business decisions). But nothing that I said was meant to imply that the price of a license renewal will be the same as the price of a license purchase.

If I accidentally seemed to be saying that the price of a license renewal will be the same as the price of a license purchase, I apologize.

Orville wrote:

Either you are reading into what I'm saying with information that fits your needs, or you haven't understood.

There is nothing I've written that says you will have to pay full price for an upgrade. I don't know what the new price will be, and I'd bet no one else outside of LOR does either.

Dan said at the Christmas Expo that those who have owned the software for a year or less would get a free upgrade. Everyone else would have to pay a small fee. He used the example of $20 as a potential price.

bob wrote:

Also, I should say:

Also, a SuperStar license purchase counts as a license renewal.

So, if I currently have a license that does not support LOR 3.0 and I want both a LOR 3.0 and a SuperStar license, then all I have to do is purchase a SuperStar license?

WayneKremer wrote:

bob wrote:
Also, I should say:

So, if I currently have a license that does not support LOR 3.0 and I want both a LOR 3.0 and a SuperStar license, then all I have to do is purchase a SuperStar license?

That's correct.

Well, I'm not paying $0.00 for my upgrade! This is making my chest hurt!! Sorry!!!!

Is that better Don!

Donny M. Carter wrote:

Well, I'm not paying $500.00 for my upgrade! This is making my chest hurt!! Sorry!!!!

Would please PM me the location where you saw the $500 quote? That type of information is false, and only serves to confuse newcomers to the hobby. It needs to be removed from the forum.

mmaness wrote:

Hey, thanks for the free license key!  I really appreciate that.  Now I don't have to purchase S3!  Woo-Hoo!

DON'T make me hunt you down:cool:

Hey, I'm not the one that gave out the free license key!!!!

Don't worry ... I plan to upgrade legally. I'd hate to wake up some morning and find the software police waiting to take me to see my new boyfriend named Rufus in the local hoosegow.

bob wrote:

WayneKremer wrote:
bob wrote:
Also, I should say:

That's correct.

Were do you find the link for a SuperStar license????

I guess some of us long timers who were grand fathered in now have to pony up

I've been denied also

Name: Dave H

*This license does NOT support S3*

License Key: Feature Level: Advanced
SuperStar Feature Level: Demo
Seats: 5
Max Version: 2.9

Were do you find the link for a SuperStar license????

It's not for sale yet. It will be for sale when S3 is released, which should be soon. I'm sorry I can't be more specific than "soon".