Light-O-Rama Forums

Waiting on S3

Larry Leonhardt

Frank Rossi wrote:

Were do you find the link for a SuperStar license????

S3 hasn't been released yet. Thus, you are unable to purchase the SSE at this time.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• bob

• JBullard

• Surfing4Dough

OK so now the big question. I just upgraded in Sept 2011. I did the license check and it says it doesn't cover S3. I thought if you upgraded within the year you would get the upgrade for S3 free? Now I'm confused.....

LightsinMaine wrote:

OK so now the big question. I just upgraded in Sept 2011. I did the license check and it says it doesn't cover S3. I thought if you upgraded within the year you would get the upgrade for S3 free? Now I'm confused.....

Check out post 157 in this thread. Look at Bob's disclaimer.

Sorry but the way I read a "LICENSE RENEWAL" is you PAY THE SAME EXACT AMOUNT AS YOU DID WHEN FIRST PURCHASED YOUR LICENSE. Example of why I take it this way is your vehicle registration that is RENEWED YEARLY, you pay the same amount every year (unless some brain dead moron politician raises the fee). Or when the FCC USED to require a LICENSE RENEWAL yearly for CB Radio, I paid the EXACT AMOUNT every year for that priviledge.

So to me when someone says I have to RENEW MY LICENSE means it will cost me the EXACT AMOUNT (or possibly HIGHER if fees had been raised) to RENEW.

This is where I "got/get MY information from", from past and current LICENSING RENEWAL FEES for other items that require them. And I would think any "renewal fee" would work the same way.

EDIT: To me software I own and have "licensed" does not ever require a "license renewal" and this term should never be used, it should be a "SOFTWARE UPGRADE FEE", as in any other software I own that, again, is licensed, if I wish to move to the next version, I pay an "UPGRADE FEE"(NOT a license renewal fee) that is usually 50%-75% less than if I had to purchase the software again, although some are only 10%-15%, those that don't give a decent discount on upgrades, well, I never upgrade that software, especially when I already feel I spent more than the software is worth (after using it and having some issues with it, like constant crashes). Not saying this is the case with the LOR Suite, but "License Renewal" to me is an incorrect terminology here, and feel it should not be called by that, "Software Upgrade" would be more appropriate in my opinion.

And I'm certain this is, and has confused others as much as it has with me.

LightsinMaine wrote:

Sounds to me like yours should cover S3. Please send your license info (name and key) to me (bob@lightorama.com), and I'll look into it. Thanks.

OK, Orville. I again apologize for the confusion that I caused.

For what it's worth, the reason that we chose "renewal" rather than "upgrade" is because we had already been using "upgrade" for years to mean something entirely different ("upgrade Basic to Advanced", for example). And we are not the only software company that uses "renewal" in this manner.

Finally, I understand that you're not necessarily referring to LOR when you talk of "constant crashes", but if you do experience constant crashes -- or in fact any crashes at all -- with LOR software, we would appreciate it if you would let us know. Thank you.

paulanator wrote:

As a person who has worked in Tech Support for years, the developers favorite line that we had to pass on was....

Two Weeks......

Was a long running joke in the company, and it is true across the board with software and hardware. The answer is always two weeks!

Someone has been watching "The Money Pit":D

trankin79 wrote:

Is there going to be an email blast when it's available for download/purchase/renewal/upgrade?? :-)

I don't know if Dan (or whoever) does email blasts for releases, but at the very least it will be announced to the "Important Announcements" section of these forums.

The day is not over so Dan statement could still come to pass. That said:

Dan statement on the 6th was not the best idea to make unless he was 100% sure it was going to happen. I know, I've done that my self and got burned.

Come mid this week if it looked like the release was not going to happen it would have been good to post that on the PDU.

I'd take a page from Apple's book about know. Release as you said you would but include the list of known bugs and the do an update in a couple of weeks. After all if they thought they were going to release this week the bugs can't be that bad that can't be patched in a couple of weeks.

IMHO

Timon wrote:

The day is not over so Dan statement could still come to pass. That said:

Dan statement on the 6th was not the best idea to make unless he was 100% sure it was going to happen. I know, I've done that my self and got burned.

Come mid this week if it looked like the release was not going to happen it would have been good to post that on the PDU.

I'd take a page from Apple's book about know. Release as you said you would but include the list of known bugs and the do an update in a couple of weeks. After all if they thought they were going to release this week the bugs can't be that bad that can't be patched in a couple of weeks.

IMHO

I agree 100%. I am loyal to LOR, and that is not going to change, but it is time to ship it with a disclaimer. I am not complaining, but let's roll with it already.

You know, I agree with folks about the need to just release the software today, ready or not.

I am a total newbie to this stuff, but not to business. My experience thus far has shown me that LOR customer service is outstanding...really, surprisingly good. To get an email back from Dan on a Sunday (totally beyond reasonable expectation) made me a loyal customer right from the start. It tells me that the company cares.

Now, caring is one thing...consistently following through on statements is another equally important quality. The best customer service in the world cannot mitigate unfulfilled promises. I will keep coming back because of the customer service....when I can take a chance on fulfillment timeline.

My three cents ...

At the company I work for, the I/T department has one hard, fast rule - we never, ever release software on a Friday. The reason is that if it blows up over the weekend the programmers, etc, will not be available to get things going again.

I'm not saying that's what's going on here .. that's just how we operate at the company I work for (and most companies, as a matter of fact).

Mike Maness

Forney, TX

I recall the frustration with S2 when it came out in November and a year (or more?) later than planned. It's a cruddy situation for everyone to be in. You quickly learn software isn't something that's going to come out on schedule. (Ask any company about software release dates.) You either have to look over that 'shortcoming' the company has (in your eyes) or go somewhere else.

In this market, though, there's not many other companies to start with. (And those that are out there ... well... yeah.)
hat off>

As Bob said yesterday ... "Soon"

hat on>

BillyTRichVa wrote:

Hey Bob- will S3 run on a win2k machine? I don't sequence on it, just run the show

Starting in version 3.0.0, Windows 2000 will not be supported (nor will any pre-XP operating system).

Any company that takes the position that people can deal with their problems or walk, with no obligation to mitigate those problems through communication or resisting the urge to make statements that cant be followed through on has a management problem. Not necessarily such a big problem that the company needs to be avoided. But it looks bad to customers nonetheless.

I teach at a university these days, but in previous years I was a project manager that created large scale programs that included software releases. I can tell you that yes, internal timelines often get scrubbed or pushed back. That is why you dont make public statements promising product release by XYZ day until it is ready to release.

Like I said, the customer service largely makes up for this issue. That doesn't mean that customers shouldn't express concerns or frustration with it.

That is the shortcoming in business, if you cant see the "shortcomings" from the customer perspective, do something else.

You know, I want to be a loyal LOR customer based on everything I hear. However, everything I have tried to purchase has been delayed or backordered. So, at this time I have D-light controllers (and they do just fine) while I wait on my LOR controllers to arrive, I am playing with LSP while I wait for S3 to arrive...etc. Though I have purchased the license for S2 and I like the interface...look forward to learning S3.

I know that those of you with a long standing relationship with LOR feel very loyal. However, as a newbie (started trying to buy things in August) the pattern of follow-through has not shown a good track record. I really hope to develop the same loyalty that you guys have.