Light-O-Rama Forums

Waiting on S3

Larry Leonhardt

Alan C wrote:

I see Bob has posted the helpfile for S3. Page 73 of the pdf version tells us about the licence levels. There seem to be two parts to the licence, one with the levels of basic to advanced that we know now, the second part states how many CCRs can be controlled by the "Superstar" functionality.

Regards,

Alan.
for those who missed it:

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=28443&forum_id=55

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• bob

• JBullard

• Surfing4Dough

Also, I should say:

Some existing customers' licenses do not support version 3.0.0 of the software. If you're one of them, you could continue using 2.9.4 (or earlier) forever, but if you want to use 3.0.0 (or later), you'll have to purchase a license renewal. HOWEVER:

A license level UPGRADE (for example if you have a Basic license and upgrade it to Basic Plus) counts as a license renewal.

Also, a SuperStar license purchase counts as a license renewal.

So, if you're one of the people who would need a license renewal, you might want to consider purchasing a license level UPGRADE, or a SuperStar license, instead of an actual license renewal. You'll get the new version (as if you had purchased a renewal) and also the extra features of the license level upgrade or the SuperStar license.

bob wrote:

Also, I should say:

Some existing customers' licenses do not support version 3.0.0 of the software. If you're one of them, you could continue using 2.9.4 (or earlier) forever, but if you want to use 3.0.0 (or later), you'll have to purchase a license renewal. HOWEVER:

A license level UPGRADE (for example if you have a Basic license and upgrade it to Basic Plus) counts as a license renewal.

Also, a SuperStar license purchase counts as a license renewal.

So, if you're one of the people who would need a license renewal, you might want to consider purchasing a license level UPGRADE, or a SuperStar license, instead of an actual license renewal. You'll get the new version (as if you had purchased a renewal) and also the extra features of the license level upgrade or the SuperStar license.

since I purchased my s2 in may this year,whe nI dowload s3 will the license already update?

bob wrote:

thanks for the tip Bob...

soooo...is S3 coming out tomorrow???

you can tell me...I won't tell anyone!!! :P

since I purchased my s2 in may this year,whe nI dowload s3 will the license already update?

That should be true. Anyone who purchased S2 within the past year (from its date of release) should be eligible for version 3.0.0 without needing to purchase a license renewal.

To check to be sure: If you retrieve your license info, the email that we send you should say something like either "This license supports S3" or "This license does NOT support S3".

Disclaimer: As of this moment, what that email says might not be 100% accurate, because S3 hasn't actually been released yet. So it may not currently be right for someone who purchased their license exactly one year ago, or something like that. But for most customers, it should be right even now.

bob wrote:

To check to be sure: If you retrieve your license info, the email that we send you should say something like either "This license supports S3" or "This license does NOT support S3".

DARN!!! :D

No benefits for having the most posts!! :P

The following Light-O-Rama licenses are associated with the
email address jimswinder@hotmail.com :

===============================================================================
Name: Jim Winder

*This license does NOT support S3.
And even if you try and BUY S3, we will not allow you to download it.*

License Key:
Feature Level: Advanced
SuperStar Feature Level: Demo
Seats: 5
Max Version: 2.12

Oh, also:

Even if your license supports version 3.0 (no matter whether it already supports it or whether you purchase a renewal), your computer may not know that it supports 3.0. So, after you install version 3.0.0, you might suddenly find yourself in Demo mode.

In this case, just reactivate your license (for example, through the Sequence Editor's Help / Register Light-O-Rama) and you'll be back to Advanced (or whatever).

jimswinder wrote:

bob wrote: DARN!!! :D

*This license does NOT support S3*

License Key:

I was rooting for you Jim...I guess its back to the current version or, it looks like you have to go back to 2.12 thats just hard to swallow, knowing how excited you were about the new stuff...Hey, there is always next year!

thevikester wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
bob wrote: DARN!!! :D

*This license does NOT support S3
And even if you try and BUY S3, we will not allow you to download it.*

License Key:

I was rooting for you Jim...I guess its back to the current version or, it looks like you have to go back to 2.12 thats just hard to swallow, knowing how excited you were about the new stuff...Hey, there is always next year!

yeah..was wondering what that "Max Version 2.12" meant...

Bob??

I'm a winner!!! Name: Edward Shupe *This license supports S3* License Key: Feature Level: Advanced SuperStar Feature Level: Demo Seats: 5 Max Version: 3.0 (and any future versions released by August 25, 2012)

thevikester wrote:

I'm a winner!!!

Name: Edward Shupe

*This license supports S3*

License Key:
Max Version: 3.0 (and any future versions released by August 25, 2012)
ummm..may want to delete your license code before everyone knows it!!

jimswinder wrote:

thevikester wrote:
I'm a winner!!!

Name: Edward Shupe

*This license supports S3*

License Key:
Max Version: 3.0 (and any future versions released by August 25, 2012)
ummm..may want to delete your license code before everyone knows it!!

hehehe, my excitement got me into trouble...I figured out after I sent you and BOB both a PM, saying HOW...

bob wrote:

. . . So, if you're one of the people who would need a license renewal, you might want to consider purchasing a license level UPGRADE, or a SuperStar license, instead of an actual license renewal.  You'll get the new version (as if you had purchased a renewal) and also the extra features of the license level upgrade or the SuperStar license.

Thanks for the info on that Bob.

Regards,

Alan.

yeah..was wondering what that "Max Version 2.12" meant... Bob??

It means that if we ever come out with version 2.10, 2.11, or 2.12, you're already covered. We're unlikely to ever come out with version 2.10, 2.11, or 2.12, though.

This is an artifact of the wacky way our license purchases work (seankovacs was closer to the truth than he might have realized with his "creation of the fancy charts" remark!). When you purchase a license, it entitles you to:

(1) All currently existing versions at the time of your purchase;

(2) All future versions that are released within one year of your purchase;

(3) Any future version that is at most six "minor" versions past the latest version at the time of your purchase, no matter when they are released.

The "minor" version means the middle of the three numbers - for example the "9" in "2.9.4".

So, specifically, your "max version 2.12" means:

(1) At the time you purchased your license, the current latest version was 2.6;

(2) You did that more than a year ago.

And while I'm saying stuff like this, here's one more bit of info that will be important to some users:

As of version 3.0.0, no operating system earlier than Windows XP is supported. If you want to use 3.0.0 or later, and you have some pre-XP operating system (such as Windows 98 SE), you will have to upgrade to XP or later.

Or, optionally, you can continue to use 2.9.4 (or earlier), indefinitely, without upgrading your operating system.

Bummer, I'm out too. Oh well, I need to upgrade my level anyways. I wonder what the superstar license will run. hmmmm....:dude:

So when will we find out about upgrading the current license to the S3 upgrade? I'm sure I'm among those that DO NOT get the free upgrade, so it would have been nice to know and be able to BUY at least the license upgrade for either Superstar or S3.

Question though, if you already have the advanced license and don't upgrade to SuperStar, how are you going to upgrade to the same Advanced License you currently have in S2 to S3. As from what I'm reading and understanding, this only works if going from a lower license to a higher one. What if you're already at the top (Advanced) licensing level and can't or don't want the SuperStar, but want to be able to use S3.

Just exactly how is the lioense going to know if it's an S2 or an S3 license?

What are the differences in the two between the two software programs?

As I'm also certain from what I've read the current S2 license won't work in S3. So I (and I'm positive I'm not alone in this) want to know how this particular upgrade will work in this respect.