Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie configuation

bbig

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

I suggest you watch my video included in this long tutorial. (link below)

Your pixie Unit IDs are way off. That will throw anything after the pixies off as well. 

Pixie16 A- 06,07,08,09,0A,0B,0C,0D,0E,0F,10,11. 12, 13, 14, 15 

16B - 19, 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, 1F, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ,26, 27, 28

I had 13 -14 networks once I am now down to 9.

JR

Pixie16 Setup and Configuration step by step - LOR Hardware - General - Light-O-Rama Forums

MY bad on this, your numbers are correct and Jims numbering system is better for someone just starting in the hexidecimal numbering system.

I saw 06-15 and 19-28 and panicked for you.

Its time to go to sleep.

JR

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KYHI

• dibblejr

• k6ccc

• Mr. P

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Assuming that JR is right and the Pixie controllers can only handle 500K (not 1000K)

From what I see on the Network Speed page, Pixies can do 1000k.

I've been running my 2 LOR Singing Christmas Trees @ 1000K {Pixie2D Controllers} on their own network{using an N4-G4 Director} and they've been functioning with no issues since my show started running on Dec. 1.

6 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I do not recommend more than 1800 pixel (2400 channels) your counts are off or you are misreading/ understanding how this all works,

JR

Three Channels per Pixel ? Correct ?? 1 Red, 1 Green, 1 Blue

Maybe I miss understand

The max recommended pixel count for a 1,000K enhanced network is 2400 pixels/7200 channels, half that for a 500k enhanced network. Keep in mind that number can go up or down based on the complexity of your sequence. If you have very fast, flashy pixels going then the number may go down. If you have slow fades and steady lights then the number may go up. This is why 90% of my show is pixels and ran on E1.31, I personally prefer to run 40+ controllers on one LOR network and one E1.31 network.

6 hours ago, Don said:

From what I see on the Network Speed page, Pixies can do 1000k.

Those pages sometimes have typos as I recall Mike saying years ago that he writes the manuals and sometimes as humans errors occur.

That’s just like the new pixie Manual stating 200 pixels per port. I haven’t gotten any clarification in that since it’s always been 170 as with the 512 DMX pixels per universe.

All I know is what is in the NP setup screen.

”1000 reserved for Pixcon16 only” so I base my statements on that.

All of my pixies have always ran at 500k ELOR and have never had a problem. I have helped many who all they see is pix and select the 1000k pixcon only setting and has problems. 

JR

Well according to what I have concluded - the Software has a 150 Pixel limitation / Port - the Hardware has a 150 LED limitation / Port

And a 720 watt power supply is required to run a 16x50 Ribbon Tree

That is my design plan - using two ELOR Networks each with less then 2000 pixels

Edit:

However, an LOR network at 1000K speed is enough to run 2000-2500 pixels in
your display. To give you an idea of what you can do with a few thousand pixels, take a look at our
website and view our ‘Cosmic Color Tree’ videos. The trees in those videos are using 800 pixels OR LESS.
With 1000K LOR network you could have 3 of them – all without the need to go to E1.31!

Network Protocols and Speeds
There are three network protocols currently in use:
LOR Normal, LOR Enhanced, and PixieLink.
LOR normal is the protocol that has been used by
LOR controllers from year 0.

LOR Enhanced protocol is a newer compressed
data protocol designed specifically for high density
pixel displays. It is pretty much required for even a
moderately active display.

PixieLink protocol is used between a PixieLink
E1.31/Art-Net adapter and Pixies. The PixieLink
adapter allows Pixies and other LOR G3 controllers
to be used with a standard Ethernet E1.31 source.

The Pixie controllers understand all protocols and
automatically detect network speeds from 19.2Kbits
per second up to 17Mbps.
All delivered Pixies have
at least 5Mbps comm chips and will always work
with PixieLink at 4.25Mbps. They will usually work
with PixieLink at 8.5Mbps. The 8-pin socketed chip
near the RJ45 jack may need to be upgraded to a
10Mbps chip to use the 17Mbps PixieLink speed.

Image070.jpg

Edited by KYHI

18 minutes ago, KYHI said:

Well according to what I have concluded - the Software has a 150 Pixel limitation / Port - the Hardware has a 150 LED limitation / Port

That is my design plan - using two ELOR Networks each with less then 1200 pixels

All of those conclusions are incorrect.

Pixie Port Limits - 170

Software limits - 170 

Power Supply - 500 is what LOR sells their preassembled pixie16's with and they run 50x16 just fine.

And yes I would not have more that 1 pixie16  on a network at one time unless you are under using it. You can have other controllers on the same network though,

JR

23 minutes ago, KYHI said:

That is my design plan - using two ELOR Networks each with less then 1200 pixels

You have a pro license so just get a good E1.31 controller and all the limits go out the window.  😁

2 hours ago, KYHI said:

Three Channels per Pixel ? Correct ?? 1 Red, 1 Green, 1 Blue

Maybe I miss understand

Welcome to the confusion, some caused by evolving systems. 

IMHO Ports  should be used for any LOR controller connectors, be it 1 Channel for AC or non-RGB DC, 3 for Dumb or smart RGB controllers, 3 or 5 for some smart RGB/DMX

Going back to your Arches. by starting at 41 you have a single orphan ID (40. The only x0 ID prohibited is 00

IMHO Gaps (Binary multiples) is good. A Pixie2 can become a Pixie4  with NO existing sequence PAIN (or effort). You just add Ports (I just added a LOGICAL Pixie4 controller into that 4 ID gap I left)

You do NOT need to use a Single PSU for Pixie8, Pixie16, Pixcon16 or CMB24 (dumb). These all have BANKS that can be powered separately (and can even be different voltages)

11 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Going back to your Arches. by starting at 41 you have a single orphan ID

Got hem from Imported WowLights Arches Prop

8 minutes ago, KYHI said:

Got hem from Imported WowLights Arches Prop

Ah! done for those who never learned to count in HEX 🥺 (and not helping to TRAIN them further). 

51 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

You do NOT need to use a Single PSU for Pixie8, Pixie16, Pixcon16 or CMB24 (dumb). These all have BANKS that can be powered separately (and can even be different voltages)

And it seems that (2) 12v 350 watt power supplies are comparable (little more or little less) in price as to (1) 12v 500 watt power supply

Thus if I decide on a Ribbon Tree (due to actual height) I'll opt for a 2 power supply setup

24 minutes ago, KYHI said:

And it seems that (2) 12v 350 watt power supplies are comparable (little more or little less) in price as to (1) 12v 500 watt power supply

Thus if I decide on a Ribbon Tree (due to actual height) I'll opt for a 2 power supply setup

Except for my beta testing pixie16 all of mine have 500w per bank. Well I do have one double controller a pixie16 and 8 combo that has a grand total of 1500 watts but that was the second pixel controller in my line up and a couple of us here netted great deals on some 750 Meanwell Commercial grade controller. So it got two of them and power my matrix since.

But yes 350w per bank is good.

My 4’s and 8’s all have 500 to 700 watts

My 2’s - 350w

JR

Edited by dibblejr