Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie configuation

bbig

When setting up multiple pixies I always thought that all ports ended up getting a unit ID.  For instance, when setting up a pixie 4, if unit 1 is selected then the software would take unit IDs 01, 02, 03, and 04 so when setting up another pixie 4 I would start with UI 5.  However, I watched a video today that showed someone setting up 2 pixie 16s and he used 01 for the first pixie 16 and UI 02 for the second.  Have I been doing this wrong all this time?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KYHI

• dibblejr

• k6ccc

• Mr. P

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, bbig said:

However, I watched a video today that showed someone setting up 2 pixie 16s and he used 01 for the first pixie 16 and UI 02 for the second.

You have it right.  The only way this would work is if the two Pixie 16 controllers were on different LOR networks.

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

You have it right.  The only way this would work is if the two Pixie 16 controllers were on different LOR networks.

Interesting.  I never thought about that and did not know you could do that (reuse unit IDs).  It is just simpler (for me) to keep each controller completely unique no matter what network it is on.  I guess this could be applicable to those with really large shows.

Regular network Unit ID 01 and AuxA network Unit ID 01 are NOT the same.  However it is confusing to us humans.

I've used unique Unit IDs (even though I only have 3 AC controllers on REG and 2 Pixie 2s on Aux A), it's much less confusing for me when I look at the Channel Summary in Preview Design and sort by Unit ID.

So, will you just clarify for me, If I have (2) A/C controllers, (2) Pixie16 and (6) Pixie2 in my setup each with different Unit ID

Can I run them all on (1) Enhanced Network with only (1) Red Adapter ?

Or do I need the Black Adapter (Regular) Network & the Red (Enhanced) Network ?

1 minute ago, KYHI said:

So, will you just clarify for me, If I have (2) A/C controllers, (2) Pixie16 and (6) Pixie2 in my setup each with different Unit ID

Can I run them all on (1) Enhanced Network with only (1) Red Adapter ?

If the AC controllers are Gen-3, they can operate at 500K on an Enhanced LOR network, so in theory you could run all those on one 500K ELOR network.  HOWEVER, with that said, with a 500K ELOR network you are limited to about 1,200 pixels.  With two Pixie16 and six Pixie2 controllers, you could very easily exceed 1,200 pixels and run the risk of lag in your show.  So, the question to you is how may pixels are you controlling?  For the most part, it's the number of channels that matters - NOT the number of controllers.    Note that the Pixie series controllers can operate at 1000K speed which allows about 2,400 pixels, but none of the AC controllers can operate at 1000K speed.

http://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/

Good thing I asked - 1800 Pixels & 4 Singing Trees..

So I will figure to setup the Pixie16's using a separate Network

so in theory you could run all those on one 500K ELOR network.

And that is using Black or Red adapter ?

Edited by KYHI

500K or 1000K speed requires the high speed red adapter.  Either one will work for 115K or slower networks.

Thank You for confirming all that for me...

One more dumb question - it is the female end of a pixel string that hangs out the controller ?

as some consider the pins (me) and some consider the connector

Edited by KYHI

Standard?  What standard?  For the most part, I don't use any of them (none at the controller).

I'm like you that consider the electrical conductors male vs female to dictate with the connector is, but that is not universal.

50 minutes ago, KYHI said:

Thank You for confirming all that for me...

One more dumb question - it is the female end of a pixel string that hangs out the controller ?

as some consider the pins (me) and some consider the connector

1000K is reserved for Pixcon16's only as you will see the note in the NP as you configure it correctly.

Depending on what you are using the pixies for I would not recommend over 1600 per network, even though LOR says more may be used it all depends on the effects. this is from Beta testing on to current use. You will notice lag.

JR

At least you have a plan!

Assuming that JR is right and the Pixie controllers can only handle 500K (not 1000K), then I would run this as four LOR Networks.  One each for the two Pixie16s.  A third network for the four singing trees, and the fourth for the Arches and AC controllers.  All would need to run Enhanced.

Just curious why some of the controller ID assignments.  General recommendation for a Pixie16 is to start at n0 through nF as it makes it easier for us humans to keep track of it.  I would have used 10 - 1F for the first one and 20 - 2F for the second one.  And why the gap between Arch A and Arch B?  Or were you leaving a hole in case you change the arches to 50 pixels per arch in the future?

It is just a plan on a spreadsheet.. Seen the 4 leaping arches on Pixie4's  with 1/output , so just removed the last 2 ID's since figured using pixie2, splitting the ribbon and sharing 1 port for 2 arches

Image069.thumb.jpg.4a741f909efb9604343427669b46902d.jpg

and here is a preview of my house, as it appear today - without LOR

So far my shopping cart is about 4k - just to get blinkie lights - and that cart does not include the singing trees

And the recommended is a separate network every 800 pixels (2400 Channels) when they showing (7516 Channels) in the LOR Network Diagram

Our House - Preview 1-2020-12-21.jpg

Edited by KYHI

On 12/21/2020 at 12:27 PM, KYHI said:

This is my plan

Image068.jpg

I suggest you watch my video included in this long tutorial. (link below)

Your pixie Unit IDs are way off. That will throw anything after the pixies off as well. 

Pixie16 A- 06,07,08,09,0A,0B,0C,0D,0E,0F,10,11. 12, 13, 14, 15 

16B - 19, 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, 1F, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ,26, 27, 28

I had 13 -14 networks once I am now down to 9.

JR

Pixie16 Setup and Configuration step by step - LOR Hardware - General - Light-O-Rama Forums

40 minutes ago, KYHI said:

and here is a preview of my house, as it appear today - without LOR

So far my shopping cart is about 4k - just to get blinkie lights - and that cart does not include the singing trees

And the recommended is a separate network every 800 pixels (2400 Channels) when they showing (7516 Channels) in the LOR Network Diagram

Our House - Preview 1-2020-12-21.jpg

I do not recommend more than 1800 pixel (2400 channels) your counts are off or you are misreading/ understanding how this all works,

JR