Light-O-Rama Forums

Vendors

TitusCarnathan

Should LOR Block vendors  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should LOR Block non lor competitive vendors. (eg. CDI MITS HLE)

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TitusCarnathan

• LightORamaDan

• shfr26

• plasmadrive

And I believe the sequencing I provide causes people to buy more controllers each year also. I base this on the fact that almost all of them DO buy more controllers each year.

I think someone should contact Alex Jones and share this with him. I'm smelling a conspiracy designed to get more traffic to the PC forum that most of us have fled because we detest the atmosphere there.

You know, it is BS like this that really gets to me. A "conspiracy", how silly... Just everyone relax and take a deep breath. I will say the following and this is my last couple of comments on this for now.

We will look into this whole topic more and will come up with a policy that is fair. But I will also say that any vendors that continue to spew crap and accuse me of a conspiracy are certainly not going to be welcome here regardless of how good it is for anyone. I do not take such accusations lightly.

As far as Craig's saying he will spend less time here and broaden his horizons I think that is a great idea. The beauty of the internet is that you can search, do research on things, etc.... Go out and find bargains etc. It is nice to have feedback on some items, like was a particular vendor fair, etc. and that is one of of the quandaries I would not want to suppress information/feedback that people can use when making a decision selecting a vendor. However such things turn into a big mess as people argue with one another because their experiences with a particular vendor were considerably different.

Again that is why the solution is not so simple. It will be as fair as possible but somewhat controlled (rather than the free for all we have now) and perhaps a way of rating vendors, etc...

This is the last comment on this for the time being.

Dan

the way I look at this is that this message board is a support mechanism for Light-O-Rama and not a flea market. It is here for the sole purpose of providing support for their products and NOT as a market place. The fact that they have been lenient with most of us buying and selling should be looked at as a bonus, not a constitutional right.

The thing is also if it is "sold" here then there is a natural assumption that it is "supported" here. If it were my business I would be concerned about the liability "assumed" by something on my web site. There have been folks on here that "assumed" that because they bought a "used" controller on here that it had been "certified" by Light-O-Rama when LOR had no part in the transaction.

Edited by caniac

I am sure Dan put some thought into this and didn't wake up this morning and say I am going to ban all vendors from the forums today.

the way I look at this is that this message board is a support mechanism for Light-O-Rama and not a flea market. It is here for the sole purpose of providing support for their products and NOT as a market place. The fact that they have been lenient with most of us buying and selling should be looked at as a bonus, not a constitutional right.

The thing is also if it is "sold" here then there is a natural assumption that it is "supported" here. If it were my business I would be concerned about the liability "assumed" by something on my web site. There have been folks on here that "assumed" that because they bought a "used" controller on here that it had been "certified" by Light-O-Rama when LOR had no part in the transaction.

I am not so sure used controllers was something on Dan's mind... but rather new and competing controllers and gear..And all the hassles he said it is causing him. After all, a used LOR controller is still a LOR controller and will most likely remain allowed here.

I certainly see his point of view though.. but as Herbaclaus said "The devil you know is better than the devil you don't." Perhaps..

I guess we will see what Dan figures out if and when he does.. As for me.. I am starting to look around a bit.. Seeing things I didn't really pay attention to before.. still love my LOR stuff and I have a lot of it.. but now I need to stay informed more from other sources.. that's all

I'm very new to the forum and this hobby. I don't have a single issue with this policy. What's not-competing this month, might be competing next month, especially at the pace the very technology at the core of our displays is evolving.

I certainly don't get all my information from this one forum.

Guest Don Gillespie

I think there are two things happening here, the first is Dan and his team from LOR are sick and tired of all the bullsh!tt that goes on when two people seem to disagree on the forum, I think his thinking is their time could be better spent doing other things to promote buisness, the second thing I see are people that have some thing of value have taken it upon them selves to advertise their wares on the forum, is that wrong? or is it the way it is being done, some of the vendors are very reputible, some well we won't go there, the way I see it if there is a problem fix it, if there is no problem no need to fix it, some people will disagree with me, in my company I let others who promote my buisiness promote their company, it is good for both parties, if one of those companies screws with any of my customers that company no longer is allowed to promote their buisiness with me, if it pisses them off to bad the answer is simple if you are going to try and screw people don't do it on my penny start your own forum, as for George, Doug and others who actually have reputible buisinesses and promote extra sales for LOR I would see no reason for dismissing them from promoting their products, but this is only my 2 cents take it for what it is worth.

I guess thats the central question right? If its just an LOR support forum that heck, just drill forum topics down to that and hang out socially on another forum like Planet Christmas or something.

I just like this group. That...to me....is the value LOR gets of supporting a "community" versus just have a support for LOR forum. Look at how many people (like me) are going to buy a BUTTLOAD of LOR gear this year after first trying our toes in the water with our first 1-2 controllers.

I am not trying to argue with Dan. I love LOR stuff. I just want them to know that right now this forum is MY FIRST STOP for questions on anything I think about RE my display. I think that is good for them. Even if occasionally that causes them to get aggravated with someone being critical or competing.

Now I have to go to another forum to continue researching my Christmas Light purchase. I wish I was staying here to do that.

Herb

I can understand where Dan is coming from. I have done a few post on getting into RGB and on most of the responds that I get are to go with DMX with this LOR workaround so and so in China. To this day do I know what equipment for LOR I can use on the DMX platform to go the LOR way. I read the instructions on the DC unit but it was little help. But when I contacted third party vendors they helped me understand.

So with that being said we are sent to these forums to get help. I think LOR should come up with a manual for us not so technically inclined people to take our display to the next level. If there is a manual out there could someone direct me to it. So I can weigh my options.

There's always someone that thinks they know better than the owner of the company. Since you're not a share holder, not sure why you are complaining. Most of the vendors advertising here do sell some variance of what LOR is selling.

If you ran a business, you certainly would not let your competition advertise on your webpage.

It will be interesting to see what comes of all this. I've spent a ton of time here and enjoyed the "Community" that's why I keep coming back. If that is somehow lost? We'll time to move somewhere else. It has pretty much been a nice one shop stop for everything christmas display but I don't think it was ever intented to be that. Now with RGB becoming more common, I think you'll start to see less of those that want to go that direction.

Hopefully the new guys turn into the old guys. Just my observation but it seems lately that many members with a wealth of knowledge have left and like anything else in live there will be those that follow.

To each his own.

The nice thing is LOR will always have great support for their products and I don't see most people moving away from plug &play systems.

my .02, there should at least be a buy/sell area. and ALL of the posts for used controllers, sequencing, lights, presales, wives for rent, etc. could be listed. that would allow me to skip all them there posts when i am just trying to see the new stuff... :)

that being said, i used to be a PC, and LOR guy. then slowly migrated away from PC for the most part, and only wound up here. last year, got more into the ACL site, with a little DIY, and this year seems, i am split evenly between LOR, ACL, and DIY... no wonder my head hurts!

i love LOR, have a ton of their stuff, but LOR is the boss, and what they say for their forums goes. wouldnt want anyone telling me how to run my stuff... just glad they seem to take customer feedback, and actually act and follow through with it.

You know, it is BS like this that really gets to me. A "conspiracy", how silly...

Silly enough to even be a joke, perhaps???

Pssst... hey you!

Ya wanna buy a watch?

psst_do_you_wanna_buy_a_watch_by_richardkitts-d2xgfjf.jpg

I saw this post and it made me smile (thanks)...(So I broke my rule and chimed in one more time on this thread) I do believe I recognize these guys.... We will work on this and make it fair to our customers, ourselves, Until we know what we are going to do we will ask that vendors wait...

Dan

I saw this post and it made me smile (thanks)...(So I broke my rule and chimed in one more time on this thread) I do believe I recognize these guys.... We will work on this and make it fair to our customers, ourselves, Until we know what we are going to do we will ask that vendors wait...

Dan

What about the watch guys do they have to wait.

Edited by TitusCarnathan

The only time I see vendors posting regularly is during their yearly presale, which they are in the middle of now.

I would have let them finish the presale a before I excommunicated them. My 2 cents.

I would have to agree with Dan on this one. While I like to have a place that I can go to to get information on products/vendors, too often it becomes a battle among members and that leads to much aggreviation to the members and probably to Dan when the complaints come in. I also see the vendor issue as not wanting to be seen as endorsing a particular vendor. Most of the vendors that have posted on this forum have done so in a way that respects the other vendors and just promotes their sale or whatever. But then there is the arguing among members that sometimes occurs and there have been occasions where one vendor will reply to a thread regarding another vendor and criticizing the vendor in that thread. I am sure that is a problem Dan does not want to deal with.

I can still come to this forum to get help with decorating, projects, sequencing, software/hardware issues and just to relate stories and that is fine. I am sure Dan will find some policy that supports the members of this forum while not causing him problems. I can wait until he decides what that policy is.