Light-O-Rama Forums

E682 initial setup

zvacman

Greenie:

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it didn't work.  I am getting closer to throwing in the towel on the RGB/Pixels.  I think I've tried just about everything and nothing is doing the trick.  Keep an eye on the coffee shop, you all might see some screaming good deals on a pretty substantial amount of stuff.

Z

22 hours ago, zvacman said:

My computer is set to 192.168.1.107 the E682 is set to 192.168.1.206. My biggest problem as far as I can see is that the wireless goes offline as soon as I plug ANYTHING into the ethernet jack on the laptop.

Z

Let's back up a second. Have you been able to get to the configuration page of the e682? If you're connecting it via ethernet, then it doesn't matter if the wireless drops out (for now). Let's go one step at a time, and see if we can get you going. Like I said, I was pulling my hair out over this exact same stuff a year ago. It wasn't until mid-summer until I thought I finally had a solid grasp of this RGB stuff.

Mike

I spent two hours on the phone with Mike on Wednesday evening going over all of this. It looks like he has a problem with the E682 that he was testing with. Could not ping the E682 nor connect to the config page I suggested that he needed to call Jim at SanDevices.

I agree that the WiFi turning off when a LAN cable is plugged in is not the root of his problem.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

in his first post he said he built the E-682 "s  maybe he needs to go back and check his work .

I can't get the config page up on either of my E682 controllers.  And now to add insult to injury I did a restore to put all of the settings I have been messing with back to where they were I lost LOR AND all of my sequences.  My license key won't even work to reload LOR.  The fire sale is on the horizon.

Z

I went through and double checked all of the solder points today. All good and no bridges. Meter tested everything that I could all good. All of the LED's on the board are acting as they should. I'm at a loss.

Z

shot in the dark, hows your patch cable? regular, proven, working cable? maybe change that.

If not, 

I would do what Jim said and contact Jim @ sandivices. I bet he can figure it out or have you send them back for repairs.

22 hours ago, zvacman said:

My computer is set to 192.168.1.107 the E682 is set to 192.168.1.206. My biggest problem as far as I can see is that the wireless goes offline as soon as I plug ANYTHING into the ethernet jack on the laptop.

Z

Check your jumpers... carefully. Is the EEPROM jumper to the right of the CPU in the lower position? That was my problem last year with similar symptoms. I was ready to send it back to Jim for repair, and he told me to check my jumpers. He was right and problem solved.

Mike

Mike: 

Sorry for being so stupid. The CPU is the largest chip on the board right? There are 3 pins sticking up above it toward the right side of it. I have the jumper on the two pins closest to the chip.

Z

Did you ever recycle thru the default IP address to verify your on the one you think is the default one 

28 minutes ago, zvacman said:

Mike: 

Sorry for being so stupid. The CPU is the largest chip on the board right? There are 3 pins sticking up above it toward the right side of it. I have the jumper on the two pins closest to the chip.

Z

I think the pins on my board are oriented differently than yours. Unfortunately, my board is well  packed away and not readily accessible, so I can't check. That jumper is to set the type of CPU that shipped with your board. Try putting the jumper in the other 2 pins and see what happens. If that does nothing, I'd send Jim at sandevices a note with your problem (jim@sandevices.com), as Jim suggested. He helped me out last year. Let us know.

Mike

I had him do override 5 which gives a specific address and then override 1 to read it back via the blinking red LED. The default address is on the subnet of his WiFi, so had to move the wired LAN to another subnet, then use the override to move the E682 to that subnet.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

It just seems like it's something simple. I have a hard time believing that something is wrong with the board or the soldering simply because everything is functioning as it should.  Everything that is supposed to blink or light up is doing what it should. Now I'm going to sound really stupid. To access the E682 config page I need to type the controllers address into my browser.  I've always called the Internet address bar the browser, this is correct no?

Z

1 minute ago, zvacman said:

It just seems like it's something simple. I have a hard time believing that something is wrong with the board or the soldering simply because everything is functioning as it should.  Everything that is supposed to blink or light up is doing what it should. Now I'm going to sound really stupid. To access the E682 config page I need to type the controllers address into my browser.  I've always called the Internet address bar the browser, this is correct no?

Z

Yes. Type the controller's ip address into the internet address bar in your browser (internet explorer, chrome, firefox, etc.)

Mike

Dennis:

i just turned all of my firewalls off and tried it, no go.  Thanks for the thoughts.

Z

If you cant ping the device,

if your cable is good (???),

If network king k6ccc, could not get it going (I personally had to force ip option 6 on mine),

Then try a different computer!!!

http://sandevices.com/documents/E682_Operating_Manual.pdf

Read this...twice. It got me up and running.

169.254.74.73 This is the E682's default IP... for wireless network. Plug the Controller into your PC Ethernet and try this #.

Good luck...if you want PM me...see if we can't get you running.

In this case you will connect the E682 directly to your PC’s Ethernet jack using an Ethernet cable.  Typically, an unused PC Ethernet port will be given an IP address of 169.254.X.Y when Windows starts.  Therefore we will use an Override to force the E682’s IP address to be within this range.  Perform the OVERRIDE function (described below) using an override code of 4. Now, go back to the browser address bar and type this in:  169.254.74.73 and press ENTER. Do you see the E682’s web page?  If so, success, please jump ahead to Configuring, if not please re‐read and repeat the instructions in this section. Using the OVERRIDE function Read this procedure through completely before doing it.  You will need to know the OVERRIDE NUMBER that you want to perform, generally 1 thru 15: 1) Press and hold the PROG button on the E682. 2) After a few seconds the red and green LEDs will begin flashing on and off together at the rate of about 1 flash per second.  Wait until the LEDs flash the number of times equal to your override number, then release the PROG button. Example:  If your override number is 5, press and hold PROG, and count the flashes.  When the LEDs come on for the 5th time, release PROG.