Light-O-Rama Forums

E682 initial setup

zvacman

@ Mike, I wanted to get the update out before you troubled yourself, thanks for the offer. @Dennis, Jim has an order in his email for 2 more already. It does still strike me as weird that they won't accept an odd number address. It won't be an issue until I get to 24 of them but I need to find out why.

Mike

1 hour ago, zvacman said:

It does still strike me as weird that they won't accept an odd number address. It won't be an issue until I get to 24 of them but I need to find out why.

Mike

Mike,

The San Devices controllers will take odd IP addresses just fine- my four are 192.168.131.91, .91, .98, and .99.  And since there are 254 available addresses in a 255.255.255.0 subnet, even with a limitation of only even addresses, you could have 127 controllers before running out of addresses.

I just tried connecting both controllers to the computer through my 8 port switch and they both connected. After that I tried plugging a ribbon into number 2 and it now flashes green and red and won't connect.  What the heck??

Mike

Dennis:

i am using Chinese strips that have 3 wires that go into a plug and also have two mire wires that don't. I'm assuming the two extras are for power injection?  I ended up holding the program button on the controller down in an effort to get the green and red leds on the board to stop flashing.  They stopped alright, they went off all together and won't come back on.  Is there a hard boot that can be done to these, or a solution to the red and green not being on?

I'm getting sick of saying this, but HELP!  Mike

38 minutes ago, zvacman said:

Dennis:

i am using Chinese strips that have 3 wires that go into a plug and also have two mire wires that don't. I'm assuming the two extras are for power injection?  I ended up holding the program button on the controller down in an effort to get the green and red leds on the board to stop flashing.  They stopped alright, they went off all together and won't come back on.  Is there a hard boot that can be done to these, or a solution to the red and green not being on?

I'm getting sick of saying this, but HELP!  Mike

Wow, you can't seem to catch a break. Are any of the yellow lights on? When the red and green lights were flashing, were they flashing together (like the start of an override sequence)? This may seem obvious, but have you checked the fuses? If a fuse did blow, you'll need to find out why before you replace it. Lastly, are you sure the pixel string is wired properly? It's easy to do it wrong, especially for a novice.

Maybe I'll dig mine out after all...

Mike

On the strings you bought can you see any markings on what each wire is , about the board when you disconnect the lights can you get the board back on all 5 LEDs on 

The three yellow lights are on. I visually inspected the fuses and they look fine, my meters are at the shop so I can't hit them with a meter until tomorrow.  When the red and green were flashing they were doing it together without any variance so it didn't look like a pattern.  My pixel strips have 5 wires 3 that go into a plug red,green, and white. The two extra wires are red and white.  I assumed the red was + the white was - and the green was data with the two extras being for power injection?  When I plug the cat5 into the board there is no  led activity on the jack and my wireless doesn't get kicked offline.  I have an email into the person I bought the strips from to verify the wire designation but they are in China so who knows what time it is there. 

Dennis: 

There are no markings indicating what color does what.  I cannot get the red and green leds on the controller to come on.  I just dug out one of my old meters and the test on all of the fuses were good.  If it helps I ended up where I am by holding down the button while the red and green were flashing until they went off.

Mike

Edited by zvacman

Went through all of the fuses and they checked out ok.  All of my outputs are reading 12v EXCEPT 4-1 the same one that I did the pixel test on.  Hmmmm?

Mike

6 minutes ago, zvacman said:

Went through all of the fuses and they checked out ok.  All of my outputs are reading 12v EXCEPT 4-1 the same one that I did the pixel test on.  Hmmmm?

Mike

Mike, I'm really scratching my head here. This board really isn't that difficult to set up, so I don't know why you're having so many issues. You really need to reach out to Jim again. I think at this point he's the only one that will be able to help.

Mike

They are WS2811 pixels. Only 3 wires go into the plug and two are just wires. Also I just noticed that the CPU gets a lot warmer on this board than the other, almost hot.

Mike

What plug are you supplying power to the board - J19 or J17?

Feeding 12 Volts on either one?  If feeding 12V on J19  jumpers on J21 should be  1&2    3&4

If feeding 12v on J17 - jumper 1&2  4&5.

Make sure jumper j26 is set to atml/on sem

I have built several e682 boards - but I am using 5 Volt ws2811.

I am running 12v feeding J18 and J19. My J17 is designated as my 5v output for the 8 gig a bit ethernet switch. J26 jumper is on atml.

Mike

42 minutes ago, zvacman said:

I am running 12v feeding J18 and J19. My J17 is designated as my 5v output for the 8 gig a bit ethernet switch. J26 jumper is on atml.

For your testing, I would recommend that you NOT power the switch from the E682 - just to one more potential issue.  Since you are feeding 12V to the board, make absolute certain that the power jumpers near the upper right corner of the board are properly set for 12V.  The hot CPU chip concerns me.

Did all five leds on the board come back on ?  do you have any other strings of lights to try and do you have a part number of the lights your using

3 hours ago, zvacman said:

I was running this board solo when I did the test.

Mike

Like Jim, I'm concerned about the hot CPU. I got mine out of storage and have had it running on a test pattern for the last 2 hours and my cpu is barely warm to the touch. My IR thermometer shows it at 95.

Mike