Light-O-Rama Forums

E682 initial setup

zvacman

This topic has been beaten to death.  The controller is boxed up and headed to SanDevices. I would have kept messing with it until the CPU started getting hot.  As far as posting a link to the pixel strips I bought, I can't find it.  I bought them a year ago and just dug them out for testing. Sorry.  I want to thank everyone for all of the help through this.

Mike

54 minutes ago, zvacman said:

This topic has been beaten to death.  The controller is boxed up and headed to SanDevices. I would have kept messing with it until the CPU started getting hot.  As far as posting a link to the pixel strips I bought, I can't find it.  I bought them a year ago and just dug them out for testing. Sorry.  I want to thank everyone for all of the help through this.

Mike

OK. Let us know what Jim comes up with. I's only April, so you've still got plenty of time to work pixels into your display.

Good luck.

Mike

18 minutes ago, greenie95125 said:

OK. Let us know what Jim comes up with. I's only April, so you've still got plenty of time to work pixels into your display.

Good luck.

Mike

To the contrary, within the next couple weeks I will enter my busy season.  I will start working 12-16 hours per day 7 days a week.  The blinky blinky will take a backseat to eating and sleeping.  My Christmas stuff will sit virtually untouched until late August or early September.  That is the reason I was such a pain in the backside for the last couple weeks.  I'm sure all of you guys couldn't figure out my level of urgency, now you know.  Again thanks for the help.

Mike

Hey Mike, 

I'm running the same 2811 leds as you (2 red 2white 1 green) 30 leds per meter.  I have a detailed pic of my board and hook up but I can't upload it on here, it's too big. Pm me your e-mail and I'll send it to you. 

PS  on the config page of the controller, did you make sure to tell the board what your chip set was (2811) and hit the update button one the same line? there are a lot of update buttons on the config page and you have to hit them one line at a time or it won't update! 

Edited by Need more lights

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that this horse was beat to death, buuuut, here I am again. I had to buy a new laptop. It's got windows 10.  I can't get the controller to connect that was doing just fine on the old computer. I did the cmd, ipconfig and found that the new computer is 169.254.70.161. I tried to force 169.254.74.73 like the manual says. Nothing. I know I'm not doing something, I've missed a step somewhere, help. Thanks

Mike

I tried both that are in the manual, 192.168.1.206 and 169.254.74.73 neither worked.

You have to have 169.254.70 because that's not listed it explains how to get it in the manual

Do yourself a huge favor and buy a router.  Configure it for 192.168.1.X

Connect your computer to one if it's ports (1-4) - not the uplink port.

Reboot your computer.  Run ipconfig and you should have an IP address like 192.168.1.2.

Connect the E682 up to the router (port 1-4) and power it up.  Assuming you didn't change its default IP address, you should be able to connect to using 192.168.1.206.

Use cables - no wifi to start. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zvacman said:

I thought that this horse was beat to death, buuuut, here I am again. I had to buy a new laptop. It's got windows 10.  I can't get the controller to connect that was doing just fine on the old computer. I did the cmd, ipconfig and found that the new computer is 169.254.70.161. I tried to force 169.254.74.73 like the manual says. Nothing. I know I'm not doing something, I've missed a step somewhere, help. Thanks

Mike

That's your public ip address for the internet. You need to check your private ip address. Using the ipconfig command your private ip address will be listed in the section, "Ethernet adapter Ethernet" on the line, "IPv4 Address." That's the ip address range that has to match the e682. 

Mike

Mike,

I tried that as well. I went to network adapters and changed the ethernet IP address to 192.168.1.200, still nothing.

Mike

I don't understand how you can go from  169.254.70.161, to 169.254.74.73, and now to  192.168.1.20.  

Through my Internet provider, my public IP address is for example 67.103.212.33  - but since I have everything connected to a router, the router's IP address starts with 192.168.1.xxx.

Everything in my house connects to the router and has addresses from 192.168.1.1 up to 192.168.1.255

When I connect to my provider's WiFi, I get a completely differ IP address and subnet.

23 minutes ago, wbaker4 said:

I don't understand how you can go from  169.254.70.161, to 169.254.74.73, and now to  192.168.1.20.  

Through my Internet provider, my public IP address is for example 67.103.212.33  - but since I have everything connected to a router, the router's IP address starts with 192.168.1.xxx.

Everything in my house connects to the router and has addresses from 192.168.1.1 up to 192.168.1.255

When I connect to my provider's WiFi, I get a completely differ IP address and subnet.

The 169.254.x.x and your 67.103.x.x are public IPs. That's what the world see's as your computer. Your router directs that traffic to individual computers based on the private IPs of your INTERNAL network. Think of an office phone system... your public IP is the office phone number, and the internal IP is the extension of each individual office.

With most internet providers, you have to pay to have a static public IP address, so in most cases your public IP can change at any time. That could have been what happened to Mike. The private ip of your internal network can be static if you wish, by turning off the DHCP service of your router or gateway.

Mike

Edited by greenie95125

So, tonight I get home from work. Boot up the laptop and plug in the controller and there it is connecting with the 192.168.1.210 address that I assigned to it with the old computer. Running tests on the matrix and its friggin' awesome!  What scares me is how temperamental this controller has been.  I changed nothing from yesterday and it's working fine.  I'm worried that I will run into connection problems during the show. This is crazy.

Mike

3 hours ago, greenie95125 said:

The 169.254.x.x and your 67.103.x.x are public IPs. That's what the world see's as your computer. Your router directs that traffic to individual computers based on the private IPs of your INTERNAL network. Think of an office phone system... your public IP is the office phone number, and the internal IP is the extension of each individual office.

With most internet providers, you have to pay to have a static public IP address, so in most cases your public IP can change at any time. That could have been what happened to Mike. The private ip of your internal network can be static if you wish, by turning off the DHCP service of your router or gateway.

Mike

My point was not understanding how his IP address changes.   I understand how mine works.

Edited by wbaker4

2 hours ago, wbaker4 said:

My point was not understanding how his IP addresses changed.   I understand how mine work.

Great! Maybe the info helped out someone else then.

Mike