Light-O-Rama Forums

Introducing: Blizzard and Rainbow Wall Runner

Ponddude

Greg,

Thank you very much for everything you have done here.

Your products look very interesting.

Scott

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ponddude

• HowardShank

• Tim P

• beeiilll

These are really cool!
The snowfall tubes that I have seen are two sided, so if the tube spins around as it hangs you will always see lights.
Will two blizzard boards fit within one tube? and How hard would it be to have both boards in sync with each other?

Craig

Craig,

You certainly could fit two Blizzard units in one tube. For reference, these are very bright some the sides as well as the back. The back looks like this...

There has been a lot of questions about how the Rainbow Wall Runner works in conjunction with LOR. Here is a demo video.

Hi Everyone,

First off I would like to thank you for your interest or purchase of Blizzard and/or Rainbow Wall Runner's. I have received a lot of questions regarding how this order process is going to work, so I thought I would send you all a note explaining it.
For the most part I am funding this project completely on my own. I was initially going to run this as a COOP, but the problem with those is once the COOP is over, you will not have the ability to purchase these again. I decided that I would keep stock in each of these units so that if you like them, you can purchase them throughout the year. What I was going to do was put these up for sale for a week as a type of pre-order, then place the order. That would help defer some of the costs. There has been a lot of questions about all these units which is great and tells me there is a lot of interest. At the same time, today I received two emails informing me that two of the main components of each unit are on back order. One being the LEDs for the Blizzard and the other the modular jacks for the Wall Runner. This isn't a huge issue because the back order is only for a week.

So, here is what I have decided to do. These units will remain on their "pre-order" status until August 10th. By that time, all the components will be in stock. On August 10th I will place the order for the circuit boards, which will then arrive to me on August 24th. I will ship them out immediate. Everyone who has currently ordered, or will order these units by the August 10th deadline will receive their units no later then September 1st. I think that still gives everyone plenty of time for assembly and implementation of the units. Do not worry though, if you don't purchase these by August 10th, there are still going to be plenty for you to purchase from here on out.

I will continue to keep everyone updated and, as always, I am here to answer any of your questions. Please don't hesitiate to contact me.

Greg Renna
Christmas on Manor
www.christmasonmanor.com
greg@christmasonmanor.com

[align=left]I may have missed it. I know 2 of the units fit inside a 4' tube, but what are the dimensions for both units?

Thanks
[/align]

Blizzard is 12" long and 1.5" wide

RWR is 12" long and 1.3" wide. Rain allows you to put two units in one 4ft tube. One on one end, a 22" Cat-5 cable and then one on the other end. One tube, with 2 RWR units in it will fill a 6-7" patch of wall with light.

Ponddude wrote:

Blizzard is 12" long and 1.5" wide

RWR is 12" long and 1.3" wide. Rain allows you to put two units in one 4ft tube. One on one end, a 22" Cat-5 cable and then one on the other end. One tube, with 2 RWR units in it will fill a 6-7" patch of wall with light.

Ah Greg is that a typo? Should it read 6-7' "patch of wall with light?" Looks like you are saying that it will cover 6-7" "patch of wall with light."

Thanks

Max

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give everyone an update about Blizzard and RWR. As I stated in a previous post, the first order of all the production boards and parts will be made on Saturday. Actually, I already have about 10,000 LEDs in stock. (let the painful counting begin...haha) If you would like to guarantee that you have your hands on these by September, place your order now! Of course you will be able to purchase these for many years to come, so if you don't get them now, you will certainly have your chance. A lot of people have placed orders so you will have the ability to get comments from fellow forum buddies.

Just to let you know what else we have done with these lights. There has been some questions regarding whether you can use the RWR with AC power. The simple answer is NO. However, we are currently testing the idea of using a wall wart transformer on three channels of any standard AC controller to get these to work. I will say that I have been slacking, but I will make sure I test this idea and have a definitive answer by this weekend. It certainly will open up the possibilities of these lights.

Finally, the power draw of each light is as follows:
Blizzard: .21 amps per unit
RWR: .24 amps per color (Each color R,G,B, is slightly different, but using a common number of .24 amps per color will hopefully make it easier to do your calculations.)

This means that you could easily power between 19 and 38 Blizzard units per channel on the LOR DC board! (depending on heatsinks)

You could also easily power between 16 and 33 RWR's, one color per channel, on the LOR DC board! (Again, depending on heatsinks)

As usual, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email me at greg@christmasonmanor.com

Place your orders now!!

Greg,

Is there any way to sync them. For instance, if I wanted to put 2 of them end to end and have the 2nd one fire after the first one is done?

Thanks

The blizzard. If I put two end to end, can I make one start as the other finishes and have it look like it was a continuation?

You could, but with some work, they won't do that just by themselves. The easiest way of doing it would be do get a very cheap chaser card, All Electronics sells them, and instead of putting LEDs on their outputs, attach DC relays. They could trigger each one, but Blizzard is not designed to fire like that. Each unit is its own seperate unit with a microprocessor for each one.

Update:

Just wanted to let everyone know that Blizzard and the RWR will start shipping on August 24th. Those of you that already ordered, I will contact you on the 24th about your shipping totals.

Would the people who ordered that live in the US prefer I ship with USPS or UPS? (outside orders do not have a choice and have to ship via USPS, simply because of customs.)

Well, I guess you can say we have reached the worst case scenario....or maybe the best depending on how you look at it. Blizzard has proven to be EXTREMELY popular. The initial order of components and LEDs arrived this week. They are all sorted and ready to go. The PCBs will be here on August 24th and all pre-orders will ship on the 25th. Here is the kicker. I have sold out of the initial order! Like a said, best or worst case scenario, depending on how you look at it. So, I have placed a second order for PCBs. What does this mean? Well, after tomorrow, if you order Blizzard, their ship date will be pushed into September. Again, this great news that so many people are interested in them and I am sure you will love them. I will get all the pieces in stock ASAP and as soon as they arrive, I will get them out to you. Thank you again for all your interest and I will keep you posted on any updates!

As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at greg@christmasonmanor.com

Out of curiosity, would there be any interest in having a Blizzard unit that was 9" long? We could make smaller ones, but only if there was an interest in it. Let me know.

I am not 100% sure which ones you are are talking about, but yes there are quite a few commercially available ones on the market. The difference between these lights and the commercially made ones are that you actually build these. These lights have different patterns you can select, with different delay times. None of that is available commercially. I am certainly not trying to take away from the commercially built ones, but rather offering another option.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask.