Light-O-Rama Forums

Light-O-Rama Licensing - Is it here?

michael.farney

I didn't see any announcements about this, but today I am not able to control lights. I could before 6pm today, but suddenly the schedule editor informed me I didn't have a license for using the calendar. I opened up my sequece editor, and sure enough, the software is now running in "demo" mode. Control Lights is grayed out. I'm in the middle of programming and testing, so it would be nice if it worked. ;)

How do we resolve getting our registerations? Or should this not have happened yet...? Should I reinstall?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightORamaDan

• cmoore60

• -klb-

• tikilights

Is anyone else having this issue? I'm curious if someone will open their LOR and see if this is a 2.1.6 issue. A complete reinstall using RegWipe didn't solve the problem. The funny thing is it will still let me schedule shows and will run them on the normal week calendar. But I can't control lights using the sequencer. ;) Per the registration levels in the help file, many of the items I use like startup and shutdown tabs are not working because I have a "demo" copy.

Time to email LOR support... :)

michael.farney wrote:

I didn't see any announcements about this, but today I am not able to control lights. I could before 6pm today, but suddenly the schedule editor informed me I didn't have a license for using the calendar. I opened up my sequece editor, and sure enough, the software is now running in "demo" mode. Control Lights is grayed out. I'm in the middle of programming and testing, so it would be nice if it worked. ;)

How do we resolve getting our registerations? Or should this not have happened yet...? Should I reinstall?

Problem solved. The computer clock had inadvertently been changed and the date was 7-6-09. I uninstalled and reinstalled the software after fixing the date, and it worked without requiring registration. So the moral of the story is don't spin your clock forward or you'll lock out your LOR software. :)

I guess we now know the registration feature activates next month. Any LOR comments on this? Is registration going to be a "go"?

michael.farney wrote:

[snip]
I guess we now know the registration feature activates next month. Any LOR comments on this? Is registration going to be a "go"?

Yes registration will be a go. We are puting the finishing touches in place (email address, support training, etc...) and I really expect it to happen this week.

Can some more details be given on this? Is my software going to shut down on me because I didn't "register"? What does it mean to register? I purchased my software last November directly from LOR, am I ok?

Thanks,

Vic

Victor,

Relax. If you purchased your software from LOR they have a record of it and know your email address as of the time you purchased. One of two things will happen before your software will shutdown. 1. you will get the required information to register/activate your software with the new license scheme. OR 2. LOR will release another update that will extent the time before the software locks down.

Just remember that if after the beginning of July (from Michael's post) your software shutsdown and you have not gotten the info from LOR then you should check for an update that was released.

Chuck

I have been beta testing the newest versions of S2. There are couple of new features added, the peskey jumping around has been fixed and the licensing was introduced. I actually tested the process of registering it with LOR and as usual it worked flawlessly.

I wouldn't be surprised if you saw the newest version S2 released tomorrow.

We are very close to getting things release. Our largest vendor (WOW Lights) is planning to have an automated system in place Monday or Tuesday to interface with the licensing system. Either way we will go live with the licenses on Tuesday.

Dan

Will this new version of S2 be "complete?" That is, will we still have to upload the original LOR I and then update to S2? I know, if it is already installed the update is fine, but I have built a new, LOR dedicated machine and would really like to just upload a complete, up-to-date, LOR program on it. Also, when do you anticipate a CD will be available for purchase with the current LOR S2 on it? Thanx.

On Tuesday the following will happen:

1. The new S2 software with license code will be released for download. This software does not require that you have LOR I installed on your PC. This version will be a full installer, not an upgrade installer.

2. In the on-line store there will be a new software page. On the software page people can Purchase Licenses for various levels. Important for you, on the same page there will be some prominent buttons. "Download" and "Retrieve License"

The Download button will allow you to get the latest version of S2. Unlike the old LORI Software which had a demo version (just the Sequence Editor in Demo Mode) and a full version (all LOR Programs), the S2 software only has one version. When you download S2, it will install in demo mode. All programs will work but you will not be able to control lights. You can create sequences, create shows and schedule them etc.

People will be able to purchase 4 different License Levels: Basic, Basic+, Standard and Advanced". The Licence is for single family use and we allow for the software to be installed on up to 5 machines owned our used by that family. When someone purchases a license key, that person is automatically sent the license and they are also placed in a database to allow us to track their usage of that license key.

All existing LOR I users have also been entered into that same license database and they have been listed as owning an Advanced License.

The Retrieve License button on the software page allows an existing S2 License Holder to Retrieve the license key from the database. Thus existing LOR I owners can go to the Retrieve License page and have a copy of their S2 license emailed to them. The Retrieve License license is like a regular store transaction. You have to add it to your cart and checkout. However the cost of a License Retrieval is $0.00. The system will automatically send the user a copy of their User Name and License Key.

There is going to be an issue with some people because you have to provide the same email address in the Retrieve License transaction that you used when you originally purchased the software. Some people will not have access to that same email address. On the Retrieve License page, there will be instructions on what to do to get your license in this case.

3. A new CD will become available in the on-line Store BUT there is a reduced need for it now with the new scheme.

If your PC running S2 crashes and you need to re-install or if you get a new PC and want to install S2 on it, you can go on-line and download the current version and install it and use your license key to unlock it. If you loose your license key then you can just go to the Retrieve License page and get a copy sent to you.

I can see that some people will want a copy of the software on CD for a number of different reasons so they will be available but optional for an additional flat fee (S&H included). The CD will not have a license key with it. It will contain only the software installer for the Current version of the S2 software at the time you purchased the CD.

4. In addition to the changes on the software page, there will also be changed to all of the Starter Packages. Those packages will be changed to reflect the different versions (prices) of software available. Thus starter packages can be less expensive then they are today if you opt for lower levels of the software.

I'm so confused, not an unusual state for me :P.

After watching all the wonderful shows people had built and posted on the web, I decided I had to have a LOR and build my own show in Feb (2009). I purchased the starter package which came with the LOR software-extended edition disk.

I understand fully LOR's desire to curb pirate software, but I'm totally confused how it is going to effect me.

1) Do I have an existing S2 license? "All existing LOR I users have also been entered into that same license database and they have been listed as owning an Advanced License". Is LOR I the generic name of the software and S2 the version? The reason I ask is that I thought my package said LOR II.

2) I have version 2.1.6. Do I need to download an update now? I looked but it seems 2.1.6 is the newest version.

My hope is I need to click on "Retrieve License", enter my user name and key when I receive the email (hopefully entering the user name and key will be straight forward) and I'm ready to go.

One last question; about how long will it take to get the email? Yahoo (and AT&T) do strange things with my email blocker at times so I need to be watching.

If you purchased the software from LOR or one of their authorised resellers, then you should have a licensed copy. An updated version of LOR II software will be available on the LOR website from Tuesday for download. The software keys will also be available from Tuesday. As I understand it, if you select "retrieve license" from their site, you will be emailed a copy of your license number (to the email address you used when you purchased the software).

Regards,

Alan.

I have a friend who's waiting for the sale to buy his gear, should he buy the software now for a better deal? What will the pricing be for the software after tues?

You can kind of judge for yourself. I will almost gaurantee that you will not get the advanced level of the new software for the current price after the newest version is released. Check out the attached help file from 2.1.6 software under the feature comparison. There is a chart that details the different levels of purchase.

http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/LORHelp-2.1.6.pdf

You can always order the starter package and they have in the past held off shipping the controller till later. Give you the software now. I know of more than one person that has done this, got the software and even in the Feb sale purchased the controllers.

Chuck

tikilights wrote:

I have a friend who's waiting for the sale to buy his gear, should he buy the software now for a better deal? What will the pricing be for the software after tues?

This is going to be a hard question to answer. It is difficult because there will be versions of software less expensive than today and versions that will be more expensive.... The list price for the Advanced version that everyone has today will be $139.95....

However the basic version which is $49.95 is not only less expensive, it will be free with 16 and 32 channel starter packages. Unfortunatly I do not have all of the pricing cast in stone for all of the "package deals" but I think that if you purchase a starter package then it will will probably be less expensive to wait for the sale rather than purchase the software not before the sale.

Dan

ainsworth wrote:

[sNIP]
I understand fully LOR's desire to curb pirate software, but I'm totally confused how it is going to effect me.

[sNIP]

Yes it is confusing and unfortunate. We have strong evidence that the software is being pirated so we end up inconveniencing the good guys with all this license crap.

We hope to make this as simple and painless as possible. If you have purchased the LOR software then you will need to do the following three things:

1. On the new software page click the "retrieve license" button to get a copy of your user name and license key sent to you.

2. Download and install the latest version of the S2 software. Download button is on the software page.

3. Run the Sequence Editor, click Help then click Register and enter you user name and license key.

There is no cost involved other than your time and patience.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

ainsworth wrote:
[sNIP]

[sNIP]

Yes it is confusing and unfortunate. We have strong evidence that the software is being pirated so we end up inconveniencing the good guys with all this license crap.

We hope to make this as simple and painless as possible. If you have purchased the LOR software then you will need to do the following three things:

1. On the new software page click the "retrieve license" button to get a copy of your user name and license key sent to you.

2. Download and install the latest version of the S2 software. Download button is on the software page.

3. Run the Sequence Editor, click Help then click Register and enter you user name and license key.

There is no cost involved other than your time and patience.

Dan
Is the new page up yet Dan?

bdeditch wrote:

Is the new page up yet Dan?

The store will be updated sometime on Tuesday June 16th. The new software page will be available then.

Dan

Jeff Millard wrote:

I've been asked to curb my tongue but ....

One wonders that since you only have good things to say, why have you been asked to curb your tongue? Or is it a NDA thing?