Light-O-Rama Forums

Light-O-Rama Licensing - Is it here?

michael.farney

Randy wrote:

If you go to this page:

http://store.lightorama.com/software1.html

then choose "Retrieve License", add to cart and go through the process like you're buying the license or software (it is priced at $0.00). Once you finish the transaction, you'll be emailed a license string that you can use to make your software a fully functioning "Advanced Version"

Randy

I did all of that and got two emails. One was a copy of the "order" the other was entitles Lightorama License information it was a blank email.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightORamaDan

• cmoore60

• -klb-

• tikilights

I have tried now 4 times to retrieve the key. 2 times earlier with different capitalization of the email.

Then BOB posted in another thread about discovering some problems with the way email was authenticated on LORs end. I tried 2 times sense then again with different capitalization of the email address. Still no key.

I have sent email to software@lightorama.com. I have tried to email Dan to see if I had to wait till business hours.

I wish this would have been released during office hours to help iron out these bugs. I am sure the LOR will get all us "problem" people worked out.

Chuck

thedementedelf wrote:

Randy wrote:
If you go to this page:

http://store.lightorama.com/software1.html

then choose "Retrieve License", add to cart and go through the process like you're buying the license or software (it is priced at $0.00). Once you finish the transaction, you'll be emailed a license string that you can use to make your software a fully functioning "Advanced Version"

Randy

I did all of that and got two emails. One was a copy of the "order" the other was entitles Lightorama License information it was a blank email.

Well....I tried retrieving the license one more time. followed the steps and this time got an email with the activation key. Loaded the key into the software and no problems at all.

I just deleted a bunch of posts that have to do with future upgrades, software expiring etc... Rather than read through 15 posts to try and figure out what the story is, it will be posted in one spot.

1. Once you have installed your license on version 2.3.4 of the S2 software, your software will never expire. It will continue to operate at the license level forever. All LOR I users were given an Advanced License. There is no annual fee to keep things running... We have never screwed the customer and we are not starting now!

2. Up to now, all upgrades to the LOR software have been free. If you purchased your software 6 years ago you have had free upgrades up to and including version 2.3.4.

3. The new License system allows users to have free upgrades for only 1 year. So what does that mean:

First: Regardless of when you purchased your LOR I software from us, the database now has your date of purchase as 6/16/2009. So for the next year you get all upgrades major or minor releases for free.

Second: Major and Minor releases are sometimes hard to define. When we jump to version 3.x.x, it will be considered a Major release. If we release 3.x.x within a year then you get it for free. If it is released a year and a day from now then you would need to pay for it.

(Now before you ask, A person would be a jerk to hold a major release so that it rolls to a date that generates the most potential upgrades. I am not a jerk!).

Before I consider something a Major Release it has to have a major amount of work in it so I hope that when we bump up to version 3 you agree that it is worth it. One of the advantages of being a combined hardware/software company: When we introduce new hardware that requires software changes to support it, we would be foolish not to have a way to get that additional software support to our customers without additional software costs so you can expect that the free minor releases that you get forever will keep you up to date with any new hardware.

I am not sure what the cost for a upgrade to future releases will be but it will not a big number. The reason for such upgrades fees is to help defray the cost of cost of software development.

LightORamaDan wrote:

I just deleted a bunch of posts that have to do with future upgrades, software expiring etc... Rather than read through 15 posts to try and figure out what the story is, it will be posted in one spot.

1. Once you have installed your license on version 2.3.4 of the S2 software, your software will never expire. It will continue to operate at the license level forever. All LOR I users were given an Advanced License. There is no annual fee to keep things running... We have never screwed the customer and we are not starting now!

2. Up to now, all upgrades to the LOR software have been free. If you purchased your software 6 years ago you have had free upgrades up to and including version 2.3.4.

3. The new License system allows users to have free upgrades for only 1 year. So what does that mean:

First: Regardless of when you purchased your LOR I software from us, the database now has your date of purchase as 6/16/2009. So for the next year you get all upgrades major or minor releases for free.

Second: Major and Minor releases are sometimes hard to define. When we jump to version 3.x.x, it will be considered a Major release. If we release 3.x.x within a year then you get it for free. If it is released a year and a day from now then you would need to pay for it.

(Now before you ask, A person would be a jerk to hold a major release so that it rolls to a date that generates the most potential upgrades. I am not a jerk!).

Before I consider something a Major Release it has to have a major amount of work in it so I hope that when we bump up to version 3 you agree that it is worth it. One of the advantages of being a combined hardware/software company: When we introduce new hardware that requires software changes to support it, we would be foolish not to have a way to get that additional software support to our customers without additional software costs so you can expect that the free minor releases that you get forever will keep you up to date with any new hardware.

I am not sure what the cost for a upgrade to future releases will be but it will not a big number. The reason for such upgrades fees is to help defray the cost of cost of software development.

Dan, thanks for all your help, info and candor. I have no problems providing a stipend for an upgrade, and it is fair for LOR to start this type of license model. LOR has always provided the utmost in customer care. It is even more evident by reviewing threads where LOR is getting new customers every week. Dan you have always done your customers right, and I know this will not change in the future. This will only ensure that LOR can continue to provide outstanding products and support.

I just upgraded, with no problems at all and am looking forward to sequencing for the coming season starting very soon.

It's funny how just the simple act of the owner explaining why he is making the changes can stop the whole "They're trying to screw us over" reaction.

Thanks again Dan for a well-worded explanation and continuing the best customer service in the world!

It might be your personal firewall on the PC, or other internet communication issues. You should be able to go through the telephone registration process, if you think it is likely to be easier than troubleshooting the connectivity.

unable to get registration key. no key exists for my email.

i am 100% positive it is the correct email i originally ordered from because i have the saved email from 2006. i sent an email to the software address. i also tried the other 2 email addresses i have used to order with and those failed too

bob

Jeremy,
are you trying Communicating with with LOR registration server using wireless ?
if so try hooking up the network direct.

I had to do this morning to Communicating with with LOR registration server.

cvlrs2000 wrote:

I keep getting

Error Communicating with with LOR registration server.

What to do/????

Victory402 wrote:

anyone going to start a thread about the new features?

I already did, about the Timings selection.

robert cox wrote:

i am 100% positive it is the correct email i originally ordered from because i have the saved email from 2006. i sent an email to the software address. i also tried the other 2 email addresses i have used to order with and those failed too

bob

The exact same thing happened to me. I also made the purchase in 2006. Was that a bad year? ;) I also have 2 other addresses but I don't believe I ever used them for any orders. I also had saved the order confirmation email and have forwarded it to the software address. Is the name entered on the order form for license retreval critical? Sometimes I use my full name and other times not. The orginal order came from an older but still functioning computer. Would that make any difference?

Well I downloaded 2.3.4 and the new license key and installed it on my 2 desktop machines and my laptop with no problems at all. Easy and smooth upgrade for me. Just what I have come to expect from LOR and their team.

Thank You Dan for the explaination of the new software license setup.

Personally I have been amazed at the fact that you have not gone to this before now. Building the hardware is the easy part in this and the cost of the software development to be able to run things on such a wide variety of computers and operating systems is a daunting task that has to cost quite a bit.

Certainly no one who thinks about this for a minute can fault LOR for charging for the software? Dan has a top notched team assembled that takes this work to heart and strives to correct anything we come up with in a fast and extremely friendly manner, which is the main reason that I chose to go with Light-O-Rama in the first place.

Of course it doesn't hurt that LOR's factory is only an hour and a half away from me.
I am only afraid that if I ever visit them it is going to be tough for them to explain to Dan who the older gentlemen is who is sitting out on the production floor assembling controllers. :D

Thanks again Dan for an excellent product, great software, and the best support I have seen from any vendor in a long time.

Bill Ellick

brad,

I double checked my original invoice and made sure all my info matched exactly.

hopefully i will hear something back today?

bob

Brad Stucky wrote:

robert cox wrote:

bob

The exact same thing happened to me. I also made the purchase in 2006. Was that a bad year? :D I also have 2 other addresses but I don't believe I ever used them for any orders. I also had saved the order confirmation email and have forwarded it to the software address. Is the name entered on the order form for license retreval critical? Sometimes I use my full name and other times not. The orginal order came from an older but still functioning computer. Would that make any difference?