Light-O-Rama Forums

Light-O-Rama Licensing - Is it here?

michael.farney

No I am not doing this wireless. I don't know what to do. I just keep getting the error. I have contacted LOR but still nothing figured out yet.

Any ideas???

Jeremy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightORamaDan

• cmoore60

• -klb-

• tikilights

Jeremy,

At what point do you get the error?

Have you downloaded the software? Do you have your key?

If you have your key and your entering it in but your computer cannot talk to the registration computer. Then why not use the method for phone authentication.

There are instructions on how to do that in the little window that pops up for entering your name and key.

Chuck

Heh, Just filled in that form to request the email change for the key. I did a search in the oldest email account I have now, but to no luck in finding the original order.

The two or three accounts that probably were used are long gone. I don't really like Yahoo, and I really really don't like Hotmail....

--Daniel L

LightORamaDan wrote:

I just deleted a bunch of posts that have to do with future upgrades, software expiring etc... Rather than read through 15 posts to try and figure out what the story is, it will be posted in one spot.

1. Once you have installed your license on version 2.3.4 of the S2 software, your software will never expire. It will continue to operate at the license level forever. All LOR I users were given an Advanced License. There is no annual fee to keep things running... We have never screwed the customer and we are not starting now!

2. Up to now, all upgrades to the LOR software have been free. If you purchased your software 6 years ago you have had free upgrades up to and including version 2.3.4.

3. The new License system allows users to have free upgrades for only 1 year. So what does that mean:

First: Regardless of when you purchased your LOR I software from us, the database now has your date of purchase as 6/16/2009. So for the next year you get all upgrades major or minor releases for free.

Second: Major and Minor releases are sometimes hard to define. When we jump to version 3.x.x, it will be considered a Major release. If we release 3.x.x within a year then you get it for free. If it is released a year and a day from now then you would need to pay for it.

(Now before you ask, A person would be a jerk to hold a major release so that it rolls to a date that generates the most potential upgrades. I am not a jerk!).

Before I consider something a Major Release it has to have a major amount of work in it so I hope that when we bump up to version 3 you agree that it is worth it. One of the advantages of being a combined hardware/software company: When we introduce new hardware that requires software changes to support it, we would be foolish not to have a way to get that additional software support to our customers without additional software costs so you can expect that the free minor releases that you get forever will keep you up to date with any new hardware.

I am not sure what the cost for a upgrade to future releases will be but it will not a big number. The reason for such upgrades fees is to help defray the cost of cost of software development.

Dan,

Thanks for the explanation but it doesn't clear things up.

===============================================================================
Name: Larry Hazeltine
License Key: *****
Feature Level: Advanced
Seats: 5
Max Version: 2.3 (and any future versions released by June 17, 2010)

Maybe it's the last line of the license that's confusing. We're on v2.3... now and it says that is the max version. To me, that makes it look like my license will expire at this time next year and I'll have to go through this process again and again. If I really have a perpetual license for any version released by June 17, 2010 then that should be stated more clearly.

Larry Hazeltine wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:
[snip]
Dan,

Thanks for the explanation but it doesn't clear things up.

Name: Larry Hazeltine
License Key: *****
Feature Level: Advanced
Seats: 5
Max Version: 2.3 (and any future versions released by June 17, 2010)

Maybe it's the last line of the license that's confusing. We're on v2.3... now and it says that is the max version. To me, that makes it look like my license will expire at this time next year and I'll have to go through this process again and again. If I really have a perpetual license for any version released by June 17, 2010 then that should be stated more clearly.

Hi Larry,

There is another post here where I corrected a mistake in the explanation in this thread (which you quoted).

To your question: Your license will never expire and you will not need to renew the license to continue to use the software you have now. In addition, any releases that we make for the next year will also be available to you with your current license and they will never expire.

After a year, if we release a feature that you want to use, you will need to renew your license to get that feature. The license renewal will be a small fee. The amount has not been determined.

Dan

Hmmm, I apologize to be stupid here, but I am still confused about the status of theability to download a license. For the last several days, I have been going to this web page that I found in another post... http://store.lightorama.com/s2solire.html

Even after refreshing the page, it seems to have the same messge for the last week. After doing a quick search of the forum, I didn't find an alternative way to get the new license.

Actually, I got two calls and emails from other LOR owners that don't know about this forum and was wondering the same thing when their software died. Perhaps it would be good to send an email to the registered purchasers of the product (not the registered forum users) to tell them what is going on; Otherwise I guess LOR is going to continue getting support calls.

Where did I go wrong?

Richard,

On the page you were on. Click the software button on the left button bar.

That will take you to the page to purchase the software. On the far right there is a light pink button that says retrieve license.

Chuck

Cmoore & Al,

Much thanks. That got me to the right page. Three of us users have been waiting for the updated message on the page I mentioned...
http://store.lightorama.com/s2solire.html

I suggest LOR removed that old page or have it automatically redirect to the new license page in case people are trying to go to this old page. It's confusing.

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Cmoore & Al,

Much thanks. That got me to the right page. Three of us users have been waiting for the updated message on the page I mentioned...
http://store.lightorama.com/s2solire.html

I suggest LOR removed that old page or have it automatically redirect to the new license page in case people are trying to go to this old page. It's confusing.

I had that page corrected. Sorry for the confusion. We removed all links to that page and had not anticipated that people would remember/save the URL.

Dan

I received my license information without any trouble. My problem is that, even cutting and pasting the information directly from the e-mail, I get the following error message:

"Registration Error.

Please make sure name and license key exactly match those in you registration information."

Any suggestions?

Bob

Make sure you did not get extra spaces at teh beginning or end of the code.

Might try proper capitalization if you did not already on your name. Remember this will be the name you registered with LOR at the time you purchased your software.

Chuck

Bob Musil wrote:

I received my license information without any trouble. My problem is that, even cutting and pasting the information directly from the e-mail, I get the following error message:

"Registration Error.

Please make sure name and license key exactly match those in you registration information."

Any suggestions?

Bob

Bob,

I had the same problem. The simple remedy is to copy your name from the e-mail message and paste it and then do the same with the license key. Make sure you don't have a space at either the beginning or end when you copy them also.

If I ever delete that registration e-mail and have to reload the program, it will probably take me forever. It's hard to tell what is the letter "O" and what is the numeral "0" in the key.

Denny wrote:

If I ever delete that registration e-mail and have to reload the program, it will probably take me forever. It's hard to tell what is the letter "O" and what is the numeral "0" in the key.

That is simple. You go back to the website and retrieve your license code again.

Chuck

Denny wrote:

Bob Musil wrote:

"Registration Error.

Any suggestions?

Bob

Bob,

I had the same problem. The simple remedy is to copy your name from the e-mail message and paste it and then do the same with the license key. Make sure you don't have a space at either the beginning or end when you copy them also.

Still doesn't work. I have tried copying and pasting from the original e-mail, and from the spreadsheet where I store all of my software serial numbers. I checked to make sure that there are no spaces at at either end. I even tried typing everything myself, and still can't get registration to go through.

Does anybody have anything else I can try before I have to pester Dan's support desk? Thanks,

Bob

Does anybody have anything else I can try before I have to pester Dan's support desk?

One thing that might be causing this: Some anti-virus or anti-spyware programs disallow things writing to the registry. We store license info in the registry, so it's possible that your computer sent the registration request to our server, and our server sent back "OK, you're approved", but LOR was not able to write your license info into the registry. And if that info is not there, LOR thinks you're not registered.

So, if you have any such software, one thing you might want to try is checking to see whether it is set up to block us from writing to the registry.

If this doesn't help, I would suggest... umm... pestering Dan's support desk :) - one thing that might get around the situation is trying an offline registration.

I have a new problem and searched for anyone else having this issue with no luck, I rebooted my main show pc today which I have upgraded to the new version, & registered, and now it says I'm on demo mode again??? It worked fine a few days ago.
Before I drag out my 100ft lan cable and hook back to the net, why would this happen and if I register again will it count against my 5 allowed pc's?