Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16 Setup and Configuration step by step

dibblejr

3 minutes ago, MikeA said:

38 this unit is 30

You need to bump up that #. Set it at 50. Remember it uses 16 unit IDs so to be safe always set it a little higher than needed.

Covered in step #4

JR

Edited by dibblejr

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

You need to bump up that #. Set it at 50. Remember it uses 16 unit IDs so to be safe always set it a little higher than needed.

JR

Nope, still found "1 unit, 30 - Unknown Device ??"

Edited by MikeA

Just now, MikeA said:

Nope, still found "1 unit, 30 - Unknown Device ??"

Are you restarting HU every time? When there is a problem I find it almost necessary to shut down HU and SE some time even reload SE.

Is this the only controller connected?

Check your cables, red HS adapter ect.

JR

4 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Are you restarting HU every time? When there is a problem I find it almost necessary to shut down HU and SE some time even reload SE.

Is this the only controller connected?

Check your cables, red HS adapter ect.

JR

Problem solved.  It must have been loaded from the factory with the newest firmware 1.04.  I am using 4.3.18 by your recommendation and it needed older firmware 1.03.  Thank you for responding.

Go Chiefs!!

2 minutes ago, MikeA said:

Problem solved.  It must have been loaded from the factory with the newest firmware 1.04.  I am using 4.3.18 by your recommendation and it needed older firmware 1.03.  Thank you for responding.

Go Chiefs!!

I have 1.04 on most of mine. Must have been a separate issue.

Glad it worked though.

JR

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

I have 1.04 on most of mine. Must have been a separate issue.

Glad it worked though.

JR

That's because you are using 4.3.36 which requires firmware 1.04.  I am using 4.3.18.  Anything after 4.3.34 requires the new 1.04 firmware.  Learning as we are going.  Yes, they are working and I am happy.

53 minutes ago, MikeA said:

That's because you are using 4.3.36 which requires firmware 1.04.  I am using 4.3.18.  Anything after 4.3.34 requires the new 1.04 firmware.  Learning as we are going.  Yes, they are working and I am happy.

Hmm, last I checked I am running 4.3.18, unless know something I don’t about my computers.

Let me clarify- when I made the video I was on a higher version. I had problems with that version and went back to .18.

Still building and using .18 no problems with any of the firmware versions.

Great that it all worked no matter what the problem was. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much! Your post helped me get my comp to communicate with both of my Pixie 8's. However, I cannot figure out how channel config. Two pixie 8's, Unit 1 running 4 Arches, Unit 2 running 3 Wreaths. (Do to placement in my yard, and allowing for further expansion, that is why there are separate units running a few props.) Under current config Unit 2 is running off of the Arches sequence, not the Wreaths. Based on the above original post, Unit 1 Arches  start at Unit 1,2,3,4. I skip 5,6,7,8 and star t Unit 2 Wreaths at 9, 0A, OB.  Any suggestions on a remedy?

NET1.png

NET2.png

NET3.png

NET4.png

NET5.png

Scarcebigfoot85 

why dis you skip 5,6,7,8

If you set it up correctly you use SE to add your pixie controllers.

It will auto assign the unit ID’s.

Pixie 1- 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

Pixie 2- cannot start before unit 9

It sounds like you added them manually by inserting rgb channels.

Also it sounds like you may have another controller sharing unit id’s such as an AC controller but I could be wrong since you don’t mention other controllers.

You can connect those two pixie8’s to one network and control individual props as you want.

Let me know if you need additional help. Also let me know if it works. I also help via phone if needed.

I do not use PE though but luckily you are using S4.

I may have misread your unit id’s. But I can prob walk you through it on phone so I can get a better understanding.

jR

Edited by dibblejr

• 4 weeks later...

Wish I had seen this first post when I first tried configure my Pixie 16D last week.  I think I have pretty much figured it out, but have a problem now.  My new RS-485 adapter burned up the third time I used it and now can't use the hardware utility to configure or test my Pixie 16D.  I went through the steps initially and selected RGB for my configuration. (I am using WS 2811 RGB pixels, 50 pixels per string for 12 strings total).  When I connected the Pixie 16D to the strings, they show up as BRG rather than RGB.  Since I can't access the board now, I noted that on page 14 of the manual dated Aug 17, 2019, on the Support section of the website, that I might be able to set the configuration using the JP5. The manual gives some pixels that I am not familiar with, such as WS28118.  However, the second entry, lists J2 can configure WS2801 pixels, RGB, 50 pixels. Would this be able to change the configuration on the Pixie 16 to the correct order for the WS2811 pixels I am using.

Waiting to hear back from LOR about a replacement for the RS-485-HS, but am running out of time as this is for the Fire Dept and their entry in the Christmas parade.  Time is really short to get this working.  Thanks in advance for any guidance.

5 minutes ago, Denny said:

Wish I had seen this first post when I first tried configure my Pixie 16D last week.  I think I have pretty much figured it out, but have a problem now.  My new RS-485 adapter burned up the third time I used it and now can't use the hardware utility to configure or test my Pixie 16D.  I went through the steps initially and selected RGB for my configuration. (I am using WS 2811 RGB pixels, 50 pixels per string for 12 strings total).  When I connected the Pixie 16D to the strings, they show up as BRG rather than RGB.  Since I can't access the board now, I noted that on page 14 of the manual dated Aug 17, 2019, on the Support section of the website, that I might be able to set the configuration using the JP5. The manual gives some pixels that I am not familiar with, such as WS28118.  However, the second entry, lists J2 can configure WS2801 pixels, RGB, 50 pixels. Would this be able to change the configuration on the Pixie 16 to the correct order for the WS2811 pixels I am using.

Waiting to hear back from LOR about a replacement for the RS-485-HS, but am running out of time as this is for the Fire Dept and their entry in the Christmas parade.  Time is really short to get this working.  Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Howd you burn up a adapter?

How do you know, it may be the cable or you may have messed up the network port.

J3 may help you, however if you cant access the board in HU you wont be able to access it at all. 

Now if you have the black adapter it should work for configuration but may not work well with a show, if you have the black adapter try that while awaiting for LOR HD. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Before you try again replace the adaptor cables, somthing shorted it out. Either a bad cable or connector. There is 5V dc on two of the pins. 

I picked up the adapter and it burned my hand.  Tried replacing the cables and tried on two different computers, same result.  Adapter got very hot and created a "clicking" sound coming from the computer.  Ordered this adapter, new, for use by the fire dept.  I had other adapters, but donated my display and all the components to a non-profit up in Oregon this year since I could no longer set up a display for health reasons.  Thought I was finished, but  then the fire dept. came by and asked me to do some sequences and set up controllers for them if they provided all the manual labor.   Have never used the Pixie 16 before, but DMX controllers from competitors.  Since the fire dept. wants to continue and expand yearly, thought going 100% LOR would be easier for them.  Using a uMP3g3 to run the lights on the truck rather than a laptop, so wouldn't need the RS-485 to run the show.  Looks like I may be "dead in the water" until I get a new adapter.  Thanks for the advice, though.

31 minutes ago, Denny said:

I picked up the adapter and it burned my hand.  Tried replacing the cables and tried on two different computers, same result.  Adapter got very hot and created a "clicking" sound coming from the computer.  Ordered this adapter, new, for use by the fire dept.  I had other adapters, but donated my display and all the components to a non-profit up in Oregon this year since I could no longer set up a display for health reasons.  Thought I was finished, but  then the fire dept. came by and asked me to do some sequences and set up controllers for them if they provided all the manual labor.   Have never used the Pixie 16 before, but DMX controllers from competitors.  Since the fire dept. wants to continue and expand yearly, thought going 100% LOR would be easier for them.  Using a uMP3g3 to run the lights on the truck rather than a laptop, so wouldn't need the RS-485 to run the show.  Looks like I may be "dead in the water" until I get a new adapter.  Thanks for the advice, though.

Did you check the fuses on the pixie?

Let me know if LOR doesn't have any in stock. I have a few new ones and will gladly sell you one for the LOR price plus however you want it shipped. 

Shoot me a PM if needed.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

3 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Did you check the fuses on the pixie?

Let me know if LOR doesn't have any in stock. I have a few new ones and will gladly sell you one for the LOR price plus however you want it shipped. 

Shoot me a PM if needed.

JR

Thanks.  Fuses on the pixie seem fine.  Pixie runs all channels, just not RGB. Red is blue.  Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that.  Desperately need to change the colors in the hardware utility.  Manual is somewhat difficult to follow/understand plus what is in the revised manual on line, is not exactly what is in the User Manual packaged with the Pixie.  No where did I see the requirement about turning off the one dip switch in order to change the unit numbers.  If I had seen your tutorial earlier, it would have saved me a lot of time and heartburn trying to figure out why it wouldn't change.  Once I get the replacement RS-485-HS, I am going to run your checklist and make sure I covered all the bases, so much easier to follow.  I will send you my address and info and you can let me know shipping and costs. Will paypal the funds to you.  If LOR replaces the new one, the Fire Dept will have a back up.

12 minutes ago, Denny said:

Thanks.  Fuses on the pixie seem fine.  Pixie runs all channels, just not RGB. Red is blue.  Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that.  Desperately need to change the colors in the hardware utility.  Manual is somewhat difficult to follow/understand plus what is in the revised manual on line, is not exactly what is in the User Manual packaged with the Pixie.  No where did I see the requirement about turning off the one dip switch in order to change the unit numbers.  If I had seen your tutorial earlier, it would have saved me a lot of time and heartburn trying to figure out why it wouldn't change.  Once I get the replacement RS-485-HS, I am going to run your checklist and make sure I covered all the bases, so much easier to follow.  I will send you my address and info and you can let me know shipping and costs. Will paypal the funds to you.  If LOR replaces the new one, the Fire Dept will have a back up.

Sent PM, you should try to determine the cause. The one I send you is brand new with the cable and all. Hate to see you burn another one. I don't see any reason they wont replace it. It may take a while because this is the busiest time of year but the CS is exceptional. As long as you are nice to them. LOL

JR

13 hours ago, Denny said:

Wrong RGB order is handled by using the HU.

Older Pixies (gen 1) did not have switches. You use HU to set the ID.  You CAN just set the ID with the switches (gen 2) or you can turn the switch off and use HU.

Gen 2's also have aux power isolation jumpers, a RS485 Termination jumper (use on last unit only)

Hot adapter= serious ground loop problem / Polarity wrong

28 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Wrong RGB order is handled by using the HU.

Older Pixies (gen 1) did not have switches. You use HU to set the ID.  You CAN just set the ID with the switches (gen 2) or you can turn the switch off and use HU.

Gen 2's also have aux power isolation jumpers, a RS485 Termination jumper (use on last unit only)

Hot adapter= serious ground loop problem / Polarity wrong

He knows this, atm he can’t access the controller via HU until he gets his new HS adapter. He will have it in 2 days.

Since he probably didn’t make the cable from the PC to the adapter it was probably a faulty adapter cable from the production line.

Just assuming since I wasn’t there.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I have plugged the RS-485 into the computer without attaching it to the Pixie 16 and it gets hot just by plugging it in.  Have changed out the USB cable and still gets hot, so I can only assume it is something internal to the RS 485.  It did work fine the first time I attached to the Pixie 16 and again when I hooked it up to a CTB16PC.  It also connected to the Comm Port the last time I was going to access the Pixie 16 and after a minute or so, it dropped off.  That's when I noticed how hot it was.

All the jumpers are off of the Pixie 16, so don't know what else could be wrong.  Hopefully, LOR can tell me something tomorrow when they reopen.

59 minutes ago, Denny said:

I have plugged the RS-485 into the computer without attaching it to the Pixie 16 and it gets hot just by plugging it in.  Have changed out the USB cable and still gets hot, so I can only assume it is something internal to the RS 485.  It did work fine the first time I attached to the Pixie 16 and again when I hooked it up to a CTB16PC.  It also connected to the Comm Port the last time I was going to access the Pixie 16 and after a minute or so, it dropped off.  That's when I noticed how hot it was.

All the jumpers are off of the Pixie 16, so don't know what else could be wrong.  Hopefully, LOR can tell me something tomorrow when they reopen.

By not attached:  Just the adapter on the USB...NO CAT5 into the adapter?

Have you tried another USB CABLE (that is just a Mini-USB with filter pods. thos just keep the stray RF from annoying the neighbors)