Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16 Setup and Configuration step by step

dibblejr

Nothing attached, just the USB cable to the adapter, no CAT 5.  Used two different filtered cables, same result on both cables. 

31 minutes ago, Denny said:

Nothing attached, just the USB cable to the adapter, no CAT 5.  Used two different filtered cables, same result on both cables. 

Definitely a bad adapter.

Hmmm! have you tried a (not valuable) device into that USB port

Yep, both computers.  Been using all varieties of these adapters over the past 12 years and this is the first time I have ever had this problem.

Denny - sounds like the same issues I had - first and second controller got so hot - you could hear the fan running way to often.  With the third one it doesn't run nearly as often.  So on my third pixie16 it did great - figured out how to program it and everything!  Ran perfectly in my house UNTIL we put the whole show up and chained them together with the normal controllers.  For some reason it fries the controller.  I've changed the com chip and fuses etc but will have to send it back again.  Our solution - we got a 4 port network mini director and made our own pixie4 (since we only have 4 pixel arches).  With the separate networks it seems to work fine.  Instructions for all of this is also a bit lacking but finally figured it out.  Hoping to return the pixie16 and get it fixed and hopefully it won't get fried now that we have the new multinetwork mini director. 

5 minutes ago, Mscannic said:

Denny - sounds like the same issues I had - first and second controller got so hot - you could hear the fan running way to often.  With the third one it doesn't run nearly as often.  So on my third pixie16 it did great - figured out how to program it and everything!  Ran perfectly in my house UNTIL we put the whole show up and chained them together with the normal controllers.  For some reason it fries the controller.  I've changed the com chip and fuses etc but will have to send it back again.  Our solution - we got a 4 port network mini director and made our own pixie4 (since we only have 4 pixel arches).  With the separate networks it seems to work fine.  Instructions for all of this is also a bit lacking but finally figured it out.  Hoping to return the pixie16 and get it fixed and hopefully it won't get fried now that we have the new multinetwork mini director. 

I have every version pixie16, 8, 4 and have never had any issue connecting with multiple controllers nor on one network.

Please update us here with what LOR discovers or decides to do. Interesting to know.

Unless I am wrong Dennys controller isn't getting hot, its the adapter. I have 20+ and out of the 14 used never had any problem. Except running one over with my truck.

JR

Absolutely!  I'm curious as well if the pIxie16 will work when I get it back. It's been totally baffling!  We really want it to work so we can move forward with a mega tree next year!  My husbands already researching the best way to build one! 

4 hours ago, Mscannic said:

Absolutely!  I'm curious as well if the pIxie16 will work when I get it back. It's been totally baffling!  We really want it to work so we can move forward with a mega tree next year!  My husbands already researching the best way to build one! 

I did a writeup with 2 different styles 1- wood and 1 emt. If your house has a large enough flat space there is an easier and cheaper way.

JR

Update on my RS-485 problem.  JR rushed a replacement RS-485 to me which I received today.  Hooked it up and everything functioned as it should.  First time in 12 years I have had this problem, but there's always a first time.  Just glad I didn't damage the computer or the Pixie 16.  LOR is also sending me a replacement for the bad RS-485, so will have a spare if needed.  Thanks to everyone for their suggestions in trouble shooting and a big thanks to JR.  Hopefully, everything will go smoothly from here on out and the Fire Dept will have one good parade entry.

• 4 weeks later...

After 2 year of playing around wasting time trying to play with pixels controller missing this very helpful video and read it all came together thanks so much Jr ..Newbies please watch this video once again thank you so much it all made sense where I was going wrong . Merry Christmas Jr to you and your family .

44 minutes ago, keithandrews said:

After 2 year of playing around wasting time trying to play with pixels controller missing this very helpful video and read it all came together thanks so much Jr ..Newbies please watch this video once again thank you so much it all made sense where I was going wrong . Merry Christmas Jr to you and your family .

Figured out most of it, simpler than the DMX I was used to.   First time with the Pixie 16, always used SanDevices or JSys in the past.  Had to use a laptop to run it though, could not get the uMP3g4 to play even a single sequence all the way through.  I wanted to keep everything LOR controlled since they (fire dept) want to do this every year.  Figured doing LOR, they only need to learn one system and it's all compatible.  Here is a link to a short 45 second  video of what we did.  From concept to implementation, 6 weeks.  https://www.facebook.com/193082674038510/videos/521909488399325/  

26 minutes ago, Denny said:

Figured out most of it, simpler than the DMX I was used to.   First time with the Pixie 16, always used SanDevices or JSys in the past.  Had to use a laptop to run it though, could not get the uMP3g4 to play even a single sequence all the way through.  I wanted to keep everything LOR controlled since they (fire dept) want to do this every year.  Figured doing LOR, they only need to learn one system and it's all compatible.  Here is a link to a short 45 second  video of what we did.  From concept to implementation, 6 weeks.  https://www.facebook.com/193082674038510/videos/521909488399325/  

Amazing, great job

JR

14 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Amazing, great job

JR

Thanks.  Even though you can't see it in this video, there is an 8 foot high, 12 strand pixel tree bringing up the rear of the truck.  Sort of a surprise after the truck passes by.

JR,

In step 46 you state to select audio does it make a big difference if you select audio or animation?

All my sequences are made using animation. Also if I use the red adaptor do I need to put it in enhanced mode?

Again thanks for all the help you give out!!!

51 minutes ago, tbuff23 said:

JR,

In step 46 you state to select audio does it make a big difference if you select audio or animation?

All my sequences are made using animation. Also if I use the red adaptor do I need to put it in enhanced mode?

Again thanks for all the help you give out!!!

No difference, I don't use animation much.

Yes for enhanced, pixie16 requires enhanced.

You and everyone are very welcome, being retired it helps me as much as it helps you all.

JR

JR,

Ok after pulling half my hair out I finally got it. I following your video step by step just wasn't working I ran HU and it was showing I had crossed 

controllers so I disconnected all the controllers hooked them up one by one I Ran HU again it showed all the controllers that it was supposed to.

I had all the controllers together than to the computer so when I hooked them up again it works like a champ. Lesson learned Ma a chart of how

to hook up the controllers. I am learning!!

Again a thousand thanks!!!!

1 hour ago, tbuff23 said:

JR,

Ok after pulling half my hair out I finally got it. I following your video step by step just wasn't working I ran HU and it was showing I had crossed 

controllers so I disconnected all the controllers hooked them up one by one I Ran HU again it showed all the controllers that it was supposed to.

I had all the controllers together than to the computer so when I hooked them up again it works like a champ. Lesson learned Ma a chart of how

to hook up the controllers. I am learning!!

Again a thousand thanks!!!!

That’s why it says only one controller connected when setting up.

Glad you got it.

JR

I'm so glad I waited. I saw a Christmas special on TV last night that has inspired me to finally dip my Canadian toes into the Pixel realm... I'm going to start with just one Pixie16 Controller and then about 100 Pixels to get started with. 

Now I just want to upgrade my Software, Get the gear and start playing.

Thank you for this great video and Instruction Set. I've been lurking over in the FB Group but, haven't come back to here in Years. Time to reinvest in some new LOR Gear!!!!

• 4 months later...

Recently I have discovered some things have changed with various FW updates.

The pixie series is now capable of running at 1000k enhanced.

NP still says “1000k Pixcon16 only”.

Even though the pixies can run at 1000k I personally see no reason to need it and have never had a problem with 500k enhanced. 

There is also a newer manual that shows you some new ways to set the pixie series controllers to run differently. 

Just wanted to provide everyone with this little update.

JR

• 5 months later...

Hi firstly  Ive read all of your post, and all questions replied to in the hope of finding my Answer

Thank you for your very instructive Information,

I just received my pix16 this week  and managed to get it running on my desktop,

pre reading your awesome  EASIER instructions,

Anyways it works fine on my desktop,   but I can not repeat the success on my laptop which I use to control my shows

both computers WIN 7  S5

Ive now  followed everything to your letter including resetting the dip  as you suggested ,

The hardware controller finds the unit  it always has, I config everything so at that point its  ok ,  tests lights ok

Then I enter Network Preferences  double check the comm port is correct and raise the speed to  500,  click apply / ok

I get both the dialogue boxes are per your  descriptions, so I assumed its loaded the settings  however  if  I try to run a sequence with motion effects it says enhancement is required

I click ADVANCED   within network settings

I get  runtime error438  in a box it reads vbalexplorer bar lib runtime error 438 object doesn't support the property or method 

and  the Network Preferences shut down  I can run regular speeds from the laptop used it for a few years no issues but first time with pixels

Ive rebooted pc installed latest  LOR version today  running S5  so may my question be out of your ball park 

any Ideas appreciated thanks Sandra Oz