Light-O-Rama Forums

Need Help configuring PixCon16

CKSedg

The step-by-step instructions from DevMike say that the PixCon16 has to run in enhanced mode; and at least 500K speed.

I will also have two networks--one for PixCon16s, running at 500K enhanced, and one for the rest of my 16 controllers, running at the normal speed and not enhanced.

I use the pixel editor to test my lights.  It can generate effects so I can see if they are working.

First, run the control panel

In pixel editor, click tools, then check mark control lights.

Then under tools, select effects generator, this will give you a list of effects that when selected, should automatically make the pixels work (if your network settings are correct).

Edited by BluMan

No luck with that, either, BluMan.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll keep that in mind for when I finally get a connection going.

I'm going to try another USB485, even though the one I'm using works fine for other controllers.  I'll post my progress.

Nope, no luck with a different USB485 adapter.

I'm probably just missing something in the configuration, but I don't know what it would be.  I've been through every step a bajillion times.

I'm sorry.  I only told you half of what you need to do in the Pixel Editor.  You have to first define the prop so it knows where to send the data.  Totally my bad.

Ok, for the sake of simplifying it, we will assume your going to be building a mega tree that's 180 degrees.

1) Open Pixel Editor

2) Under Tools, select "Manage Previews"

3) In the Preview List, select New (you can modify the default but I don't)

4) In the Preview Design window, give your prop a name (like 180 tree or whatever)

5) From the Prop drop down list right below the Preview Name field, select "New"

6) From the Prop Definition winows, the first or left window tells the system what kind of lights the prop is, select the "RGB" tab.

7) You can also select the channel order here but if it's different than RGB, you'll also have to change it in the Network Configuration part of LOR

8) From the Prop Definition window, the middle window defines the shape, from that drop down window, select "Tree 180"

9) Even though you might only have two strands connected now, you can go ahead and if it's a tree your doing, then you can set the parameters up as needed.

10) Under the Channel section of the Prop Definition window is where the rubber meets the pixels.  Select your network, and then the starting Unit # (I think you gave us that in a previous message).

11) Go ahead and put in all the Unit #'s even though you don't have actual lights hooked up to them.

12) Save the Prop Definition.

13) Save the Preview Design.

14) In the Preview List, select the "Tree 180" and click OK.

15) NOW you can test the lights using the proceedure I gave you earlier.  If your network Unit #'s are correct, they will light up when you select an effect.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate everyone's help on this issue.  I had a ticket open with the HelpDesk and they asked me to only deal with them for the time being, so I didn't get things all mess up.  I appreciate that.  That's why I haven't replied here for so long.

We finally got the PixCon16 working, but it took many time back and forth, trying every suggestion.  I found that every time I removed power from the PixCon16 to change pixels or switch the Cat5 cable from the silver port to the other ports, it would not work!  I would then have to reconfigure the board.  If I did not remove power when I moved the Cat5 cable, everything worked great.  So, I will just leave power to the board and hopefully it will still work.  I need to say that DevMike at the helpdesk was awesome and didn't give up on me!  I really appreciate that.

Thanks!

I'm not here to ruffle feathers but if you can't save the configuration and then turn off the board and have it remember what the settings were, then that's a problem.  Are you going to leave power to the board for the entire time between shows?  Having to reconfigure the board every time you power it on would not be a solution in my book but like I said, I'll let things lie.

Ultimately, I'm glad you got the lights to work!

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, BluMan said:

I'm not here to ruffle feathers but if you can't save the configuration and then turn off the board and have it remember what the settings were, then that's a problem.  Are you going to leave power to the board for the entire time between shows?  Having to reconfigure the board every time you power it on would not be a solution in my book but like I said, I'll let things lie.

Ultimately, I'm glad you got the lights to work!

I have to agree, if this is a new board then there is a problem with it and should be replaced. You shouldn't have to configure the board every time you apply power.

Hey, I understand what you're saying, and I agree.  I'm still working on it.  Strangest problems I've ever had with a controller.  Nothing seemed to go right at first.  It took me weeks to work through it.  I have to say that the Help Desk never gave up on me.  We tried so many things.................with the controller and my computer.  Thanks for all of your input.

• The topic was locked