Light-O-Rama Forums

CAT 5 - possible damage and controllers

Psjoe

Probably a stupid question but nagging me anyway so might as well ask.

Is it even possible for a damaged CAT5 cable to do physical damage to a CCP control box?

Have had a couple blow. Can't see signs of any damage in cable or in box but strings go out. So something is wrong. Fuses not blown.

Things were running great but I went back to an old CAT5 to reach the 100' to my box. And the signal passes through three other boxes before the damaged one, rest of show running great. Then after about an hour the box went, lost a whole string of pixels.

At my wits end of buying new cables, replacing boxes under warrantee and the problem still occurring. Luckily I have a back up but now some what afraid to use it until I know if I also need a new 100' CAT5.

P.S. these guys at LOR support are just fantastic. What a great company!

I wonder if you are going through the same thing I am...  my show is dark and shut diown because im currently down 5 controllers...  they have discovered a flaw in some builds of the CCP / CCB controller.. . (CCB100) box...

the VR (voltage regulator) chip blows... 

you'll notice that the green light is off now and the smell of burned electronics if you take the cover off the controller... 

you'll often notice that the black IC chip labelled "VR" to the lower left of the transformer is busted or has a hole in it..

to find it, hold the controller length-wise in your hand with power cord to the left and light string cords to your right. the VR is low and left of the transformer...

-Christopher

I wonder if you are going through the same thing I am...  my show is dark and shut diown because im currently down 5 controllers...  they have discovered a flaw in some builds of the CCP / CCB controller.. . (CCB100) box...

the VR (voltage regulator) chip blows... 

Is this your speculation or has LOR confirmed this?  And since this affects some builds, do you know if it's really early ones, newer ones, etc?  I have 3 sets of CCPs that were bought in the first minute or two after they became available.  So far they're working perfectly...

Thanks for the replies. I have been trying to be gentle with them but they need to stand some moving around. Kept thinking it had to be me and I hated bugging customer service. This is my third blown unit in a month. I even ordered a back-up, which I will put in place now.

The customer service at LOR has been fantastic with this issue so I will go ahead and open another ticket. Perhaps still time to ship out replacement in case my back up also goes.

I built a Jumbotron matrix as my center piece and really hate that it isn't working but as with any new tech there will be bugs. Will have to keep the spirit and fingers crossed for 17 more days :)

Is this your speculation or has LOR confirmed this?  And since this affects some builds, do you know if it's really early ones, newer ones, etc?  I have 3 sets of CCPs that were bought in the first minute or two after they became available.  So far they're working perfectly...

this is confirmed and i have a ticket open with them...  in my own observations it appears my early controllers are working perfectly and the issue exists in some form of later builds..  I have some that are working..  since they dont really have "serial" numbers on them its hard to tell exactly when they were built..  I bought a bunch of them in the spring sale and a bunch of them this fall.. i didnt keep track, I simply layed them all out..  I do know which ones are my older ones as the plastic is slightly lighter green on them and none of them have failed...

they are working on a fix..  I just wanted to give the OP a heads up and what to look for on the board itself in case its the same issue im experiencing

-Christopher

I also opened a ticket for the blown box and LOR confirmed problems.

Guess it is just fingers crossed for the rest of this season....

I've lost 3 brand new CTB16PC gen 3 controllers that I purchased in the fall.  LOR has been fantastic and replaced one.  I had to completely reconfigure my show to operate on 1 controller and 2 CCrs.  It totally sucks but not much use complaining at this point.  I got a smaller version running just fine.  I seriously believe there was a flaw in the design because the new controller works perfectly with the way I had originally set up the show.  It is what it is and I'm confident LOR will assist me with repairing the controllers or exchanging them out in time for next year's BIGGER show.

That's odd I think. I have three of those with one at 6 years. All run like champs. Guess it could be a newer chip as in the pixel controllers? Electronics is not my strong suit. Like plug and play :)

Yes LOR is great to work with. Always helpful, never blaming the customer. Hope they are around for many years to come.

• The topic was locked