Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting controllers together

Sijaan

How do I connect 2 different controllers together?

I have 3 controllers. 2 of them have mp3 director and the third one has mini director.

The first 2 recognize each other by connecting them by a CAT5 cable. However, I cant get the third one to connect to one of the other 2.

Is it even possible? Should I use the LOR Hardware utility?

You only need 1 director. Pick ONE of them to be the main director. I wouldn't use the mini-director, as it can't start/stop at a scheduled time.

Which one are you considering the "Third" one?

Although I've never heard of putting 3 Directors together like this, so that may be a power drain and why it may not work.

Hopefully someone that knows if using multiple Directors will chime in here and see if this is even possible.

And if it is possible, my suggestion would be to try the options below.

Are any of these Controllers using the SAME ID #?   If #3 is not showing up in the HU, either it's not getting powered properly or it's ID # is the same as #1 or #2.   Connect ONLY the one Controller the HU IS NOT finding, and run the HU to see what ID # it says it is, if it still can't find it, did you set an ID # for it? 

And is it the type you set via the HU, or does it have dials to select the Unit ID #?   As the dial type may not be set in that controller, and if it does use dials and they are not set, the HU WILL NOT find it!

If the HU does find it and it's set by software as opposed to dials, just set the Controller to a new ID # in the HU.

Good Luck!

Edited by Orville

4 hours ago, Don said:

You only need 1 director. Pick ONE of them to be the main director. I wouldn't use the mini-director, as it can't start/stop at a scheduled time.

4 hours ago, Orville said:

Although I've never heard of putting 3 Directors together like this, so that may be a power drain and why it may not work.

Hopefully someone that knows if using multiple Directors will chime in here and see if this is even possible.

Are any of these Controllers using the SAME ID #?   If #3 is not showing up in the HU, either it's not getting powered properly or it's ID # is the same as #1 or #2.   Connect ONLY the one Controller the HU IS NOT finding, and run the HU to see what ID # it says it is, if it still can't find it, did you set an ID # for it? 

And is it the type you set via the HU, or does it have dials to select the Unit ID #?   As the dial type may not be set in that controller, and if it does use dials and they are not set, the HU WILL NOT find it!

If the HU does find it and it's set by software as opposed to dials, just set the Controller to a new ID # in the HU.

Good Luck!

5 hours ago, Don said:

4 hours ago, Orville said:

Good Luck!

I still dont have the adapter to connect to my PC.

I still dont get how Am I supposed to connect two controllers together when the first is set to ID1 yhe second to ID2.

I have controller which have directoes in them. (LOR1602G3) 

You only want one director operational.  Someone who has actually seen / used a director will have to tell you how to disable all but one.

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

You only want one director operational.  Someone who has actually seen / used a director will have to tell you how to disable all but one.

But how do I connect the controllers? Using CAT5 from the in/out in the directors?

Cat-5 from one controller to another.  Again, I have never even seen a director, so I can't give you any specifics about disabling them.

1 minute ago, Sijaan said:

I want to connect only the TWO Lor1602 controllers. Iwthout the controller which has minidirector.

And now I'm lost.

Your original message said you had 3 controllers. Now you say you only want to connect two controllers?

Not to sound like I have an ego or anything .. but I've been at this for 15 years. If I'm asking you a specific question, it's for a reason.

Now ... please answer these specific questions ...

1) How many controllers do you OWN?

2) How many controllers are you using in the DISPLAY?

3) What types of controllers are they. Exact model numbers, please.

3a) This includes any other parts, which I assume is a mini-director.

4) For your completed show, how many of the controllers are you using?

I need answers to those questions. Don't expand on the answers ... just answer the questions.

17 minutes ago, Don said:

And now I'm lost.

Your original message said you had 3 controllers. Now you say you only want to connect two controllers?

Not to sound like I have an ego or anything .. but I've been at this for 15 years. If I'm asking you a specific question, it's for a reason.

Now ... please answer these specific questions ...

1) How many controllers do you OWN?

2) How many controllers are you using in the DISPLAY?

3) What types of controllers are they. Exact model numbers, please.

3a) This includes any other parts, which I assume is a mini-director.

4) For your completed show, how many of the controllers are you using?

I need answers to those questions. Don't expand on the answers ... just answer the questions.

1) 3.

2) 2 and saving the third (which has the mini director for backup)

3) 2 of them are LOR1602G3 and the third is lor1602 which has the showtime (I assume you call it minidirector), not 100% sure about this model.

4) 2. 

Okay. Now we are getting somewhere.

By your answers I'm thinking your 2 LOR1602g3 and 1 LOR1602Wg3-MP3. The LOR1602Wg3-MP3, is the director, meaning it has a place for a SD card to be inserted. The other two 1602's would not have a SD card slot.

Using the buttons on the 1602's, you would assign (preferably for me) the LOR1602Wg3-MP3 to L-01, and other to L-02. See the docs that come with it, or online, for info on how to do it. Then, take ONE cat 5/network cable and connect the two controllers together.

Edited by Don

1 minute ago, Don said:

Okay. Now we are getting somewhere.

By your answers I'm thinking your 2 LOR1602g3 and 1 LOR1602Wg3-MP3. The LOR1602Wg3-MP3, is the director, meaning it has a place for a SD card to be inserted. The other two 1602's would not have a SD card slot.

Using the buttons on the 1602's, you would assign (preferably for me) the LOR1602Wg3-MP3 to L-01, and other to L-02. See the docs that come with it, or online, for info on how to do it. Then, take ONE cat 5/network cable and connect the two controllers together.

I have two controller of the type LOR1602Wg3-MP3 which have sd card and I managed to connect them.

The third one doesnt have an SD card as you mentioned, and I cant get it connected to one of the other two.

It always shows "no conns".  Even thougg it would be set to the right ID.

Should I configure it using the HU?

11 minutes ago, Sijaan said:

3) 2 of them are LOR1602G3 and the third is lor1602 which has the showtime (I assume you call it minidirector), not 100% sure about this model.

1 minute ago, Sijaan said:

I have two controller of the type LOR1602Wg3-MP3 which have sd card and I managed to connect them.

Two steps forward ... two steps back.

WHY, if you only are going to use two controllers in the display, are you trying to connect all THREE? I'd also like to point out that if you are trying to connect three of them, I still don't know which one you are considering the "Third" controller.
So, let's just assume for a moment that you really are trying to connect all three controllers that you personally own together. I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, need to know which one YOU are considering the "Third" controller.

If you really have two units with the director built in, and one without the director, then I would suggest you keep the extra LOR1602Wg3-MP3  as your spare. By connecting the two together you are over complicating things. (WAY over complicating them.)

1 hour ago, Don said:

Two steps forward ... two steps back.

WHY, if you only are going to use two controllers in the display, are you trying to connect all THREE? I'd also like to point out that if you are trying to connect three of them, I still don't know which one you are considering the "Third" controller.
So, let's just assume for a moment that you really are trying to connect all three controllers that you personally own together. I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, need to know which one YOU are considering the "Third" controller.

If you really have two units with the director built in, and one without the director, then I would suggest you keep the extra LOR1602Wg3-MP3  as your spare. By connecting the two together you are over complicating things. (WAY over complicating them.)

Read exactly what I told you up there and. re-read it 3 times.

And I told you whoch one is the third one 2 times. 

And I told ypu that it was for back-up.

Thanks anyway

12 minutes ago, Sijaan said:

Thanks anyway

Okay. Merry Christmas!

3 hours ago, Sijaan said:

Thanks anyway

To most of us,  A BACKUP is an off-line (cold) spare kept handy in storage, ready to REPLACE a failed unit.

The spare  will be configured to fill the place of the failed unit WHEN it is known what ID it needs to replace and swapped out. There will be many connections to be made in addition to the network.

I guess you could also have a 'backup' SHOW , complete with its own lights and stuff. I am not sure how you would tie  systems together (or even if that was desirable, since it may be the links that dragged the main system down. Backup systems of this type are kept isolated for this reason)

First, there is zero reason why you should have two 1602Wg3MP3's connected together. (Note for technical folks, I'm not talking about the N4-G4-MP3)

Seriously ... don't try this. It's only complicating things for you. Quit trying to over complicate things.

That having been said, the following configurations should work.

LOR1602Wg3-MP3 <-> LOR1602Wg3-MP3
LOR1602Wg3-MP3 <-> LOR1602Wg3
LOR1602Wg3-MP3 <-> LOR1602Wg3 <-> LOR1602Wg3-MP3

This configuration should NOT work.

LOR1602Wg3-MP3 <-> LOR1602Wg3-MP3 <-> LOR1602Wg3

Thus when connecting MORE than two together the second (third, fourth, etc.) controller must be a LOR1602Wg3. The LOR1602Wg3-MP3 should be located at the physical end of the line. (Technical folks: If running dual networks on a LOR1602Wg3-MP3, then this would have to be the start and end point of each network. If course, if you lose the main controller in a dual network config, you'd have to move things around.)

If you just want to make sure the controllers work, then only connect two of them together. If you want to have some sort of 'hot spare' in place ready to go with little reconfiguration, make sure the LOR1602Wg3-MP3's are bookends of the physical connections.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Don said:

First, there is zero reason why you should have two 1602Wg3MP3's connected together. (Note for technical folks, I'm not talking about the N4-G4-MP3)

Seriously ... don't try this. It's only complicating things for you. Quit trying to over complicate things.

That having been said, the following configurations should work.

LOR1602Wg3-MP3 <-> LOR1602Wg3-MP3
LOR1602Wg3-MP3 <-> LOR1602Wg3
LOR1602Wg3-MP3 <-> LOR1602Wg3 <-> LOR1602Wg3-MP3

This configuration should NOT work.

LOR1602Wg3-MP3 <-> LOR1602Wg3-MP3 <-> LOR1602Wg3

Thus when connecting MORE than two together the second (third, fourth, etc.) controller must be a LOR1602Wg3. The LOR1602Wg3-MP3 should be located at the physical end of the line. (Technical folks: If running dual networks on a LOR1602Wg3-MP3, then this would have to be the start and end point of each network. If course, if you lose the main controller in a dual network config, you'd have to move things around.)

If you just want to make sure the controllers work, then only connect two of them together. If you want to have some sort of 'hot spare' in place ready to go with little reconfiguration, make sure the LOR1602Wg3-MP3's are bookends of the physical connections.

Wow. I appreciate the help!!

Thanks a lot!

And I would assume Don, that you never want two directors controlling at the same time.

Edited by k6ccc