Light-O-Rama Forums

So It Begins!

dgrant

Not done setting up but couldn't resist running the show just to see some lights blink. That and let the neighbors know this crazy guy is at it again, and maybe showing off just a little. :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dgrant

• k6ccc

• Santas Helper

• Gary N

Well, I thought I was done. Forgot to hang the megatree's strobes and one brand new comm cable to my P12S decided to go bad. Will take care of both today.

Jeff.....the down side is I'm getting old and I can see the toilet paper vs life analogy.... the closer tho the end the faster it goes.....lol

As for hunting, you should see the one I left go by.....

Display is about 90% done, I told my self I would not put out the controlers until next weekend.  I want to start up the show so bad, I'am tring to stay in control. First year with LOR, cant wait to see the show live.    :wacko:

told my self I would not put out the controlers until next weekend. 

Why did you tell yourself that? Put them out and run some tests. Give your neighbors a little sneak peak. Get their curiosity going.. And it doesn't hurt to brag (show off your display) a little, even if it's just a few elements or a song or two.

So I say, "Shine those Lights!!!".

I started testing last week when my display was 50% up. Been doing this for years. I leave the garage door open with garage lights on and I'm out there looking at everything while running a couple sequences. This tells the neighbors  I'm gettin stuff done and testing them.

And as they pass by, I turn around and give them a friendly wave. :)

Some will stop and say, "I love your show. Can't wait to see it again."

Others just pass by and wave back. 

Gives me a chance to visit with them if they stop to share their comments.

Edited by Santas Helper

You guys make me feel bad.... feel like am behind. Building decorations in garage. Sequencing lights.

But still looking at mowing one more time before lights go on yard. Mid to end this week :) Then pray for cool weather or else will have to weed wack around them, grass overgrows all the cords.

Sequence test last night revealed two hardware issues which I fixed this morning, so I'm now done. For Psjoe, most of us go "live" with our shows on or close to ThanksGiving which is only a week and a half away. Others who live in colder climates have to get it done early in order to be ahead of the snow. Yes, California and Florida are areas that don't get cold and grass doesn't always go dormant so you all have to plan accordingly.

I tested some strobes and the singing faces last night and PPl stopped by saying how awesome they were lol. My neighbor across the street is more excited than me. And wants his house included. And my neighbor just right of me our yards connect has told me I can whatever I want or need in her yard or house. I told her to be careful what she asks for lol

Why did you tell yourself that? Put them out and run some tests. Give your neighbors a little sneak peak. Get their curiosity going.. And it doesn't hurt to brag (show off your display) a little, even if it's just a few elements or a song or two.

So I say, "Shine those Lights!!!".

I started testing last week when my display was 50% up. Been doing this for years. I leave the garage door open with garage lights on and I'm out there looking at everything while running a couple sequences. This tells the neighbors  I'm gettin stuff done and testing them.

And as they pass by, I turn around and give them a friendly wave. :)

Some will stop and say, "I love your show. Can't wait to see it again."

Others just pass by and wave back. 

Gives me a chance to visit with them if they stop to share their comments.

The neighbors have been well informed and have seen the mock up in my garage, they are all on board. Whats nice about my location is that I face hwy 13 and the lake, so I dont have to worry about the neighbors to much. My biggest fear is going to be the  possible traffic problems it will cause, there is not really a place to park and watch the show, and I do have a transmitter. I live in a small northern wisconsin town, and hwy 13 is the only road though it. It is going to be very interesting. As far as starting the testing, I normaly start up early( with my old static display) and I have been told every light lite before thankgiving, an elf kills a baby reindeer, I dont want that on my conscience, I am well over 14,000 lights. LOL  On the other Hand I am all set upwith everything, but the controlers, and testing will happen this coming weekend, I can not wait to see the live show.

Gary

Where are u located Gary? I'm just north west of Milwaukee

On hwy 13, Phillips. About an hour, 20 mins. north of Wausau.  45mins west of Minocqua. This little town is in for a big suprise!

You guys make me feel bad.... feel like am behind. Building decorations in garage. Sequencing lights.

But still looking at mowing one more time before lights go on yard. Mid to end this week :) Then pray for cool weather or else will have to weed wack around them, grass overgrows all the cords.

You're still ahead of me!

12 CCR Tree up today and tested. 4 CCR Rings up and tested. Next is the 12x50 Pixel Tree then 4 singing faces and 16 RBG mini trees tomorrow. Then I gotta mow and trim one last time before the incans and LEDS go up. Should be done with all and tested by this weekend. Then I can relax. .......

Edited by BMurray

Darn, one of my imported ccr strips, not from LOR, had a leak. Water got in. So its not laying here on the floor inside. I carefully sliced open the waterproof cover and dried it out. I verified it works now but the hard part is somehow sealing it all up again. Yes, RTV/Silicone but will be a pain as that edge doesn't want to play nice and lay back down. Water got in through a pin-hole on top where the wires come through.

Got a few repairs completed on the Pixel tree and Pixel star yesterday, so they go up today. Finding the intermittent power connection between two pixels in the star made my day - it plagued me off and on most of last year. Got Zara radio running music last night on the FM. I do need to set up scheduling on that before I go live however...

As for partial testing - I have run at least one sequence every evening that I installed something to make sure it works. So far, everything is working...

I was hoping to get some stuff up a couple weeks ago, but weather didn't cooperate.  So this upcoming weekend I've got a list of things I want to get done, and then the rest will go up the day after Thanksgiving.   Payday is Friday - I plan on buying more lights, and MAY even see if I can whip up a spiral tree - albeit a small one (only 8-10 feet high) over the next few weeks.  Not that I'll get to do anything with it, since I don't have an extra controller to program it.

Edited by Jaynee

Just to make those of you jealous who are dealing with rain, snow and freakin cold a$$ weather. It is a balmy 67 degrees right now with gorgeous blue skies here in Southern California. Couldn't ask for a better day to put up the lights. Just sayin....... ;-)

Just to make those of you jealous who are dealing with rain, snow and freakin cold a$$ weather. It is a balmy 67 degrees right now with gorgeous blue skies here in Southern California. Couldn't ask for a better day to put up the lights. Just sayin....... ;-)

I'll jump on that balmy 67 degrees with blue skies bandwagon.......woot!