Light-O-Rama Forums

50% - 100% - is it still a triac problem

zeighty

I have a controller that is misbehaving. 4 Channels:

6 @ on 50%

9 off

13 @ on 100%

15 @ on 50%

A board reset took care of the channel 9 problem.

I have read that it is faulty triac if the channel is at 50% but have not found a post about a channel stuck at 100%.

Replacing them today, hope those that are more experienced will weigh in on this one.

Thanks in advance.

I would say that #13 is also a triac problem, I have spare triacs if you need some, but Central Florida is a big place for anyone that needs to find you.

Yes, a triac can fail either 50% or 100% on depending on what fails internally. They can also fail completely off, but that is less common.

Jim is (and I seem to be saying this A LOT ;) ) correct.  The normal failure mode for a Triac is 50% since it is usually only 1 of the 2 Thyristors that goes bad in the device.  That allows the voltage to travel for 1/2 a cycle and give 50% bright.  If however both Thyristors blow at the same time, then Triacs can fail at 100%.

A Triac can be blown at 0% but that is very rare.  A 0% blow is most likely due to some internal damage/short on the gate circuit and most likely occurred during manufacturing of the Triac itself.  Gate blows are usually rare as the gate side is hooked up to controller electronics, and the controller electronics are correctly designed to limit over-current/etc on that line.  The gate line is also opto-isolated to prevent any failure of the Triac allowing power to sneak backwards into the low voltage electronics.

Over the years I've written many posts on these forums about Triacs.  If you want to learn more about how they work and why they fail a search should find them.

Thanks for all the good intel.  I thought I had a firm understanding of triacs but a reply from the LOR Help Desk threw me the curve on the 100% on failure. The reply stated that for 50% on we know the we have to replace the triacs. I asked about the 100% being both sides of the triac failing and the reply was "usually" but no promises.  

Thanks for the offer for the triacs, LOR is sending me some and I bought about 20 from Mouser about 6 months ago just to have on hand. 

BTW, Orlando. I suppose I leave a lot out of the profile... paranoia I guess (I work it IT and security of info is paramount).

I am a ham as well and I don't think that is in there either. 

Working on a Arduino controller for lights as well (very small, specific use).  Basic hardware design is 80% done.  Software will not be like LOR's (I am not that smart), but it will work for the application. 

Thanks again!

That was probably me that replied on your help desk ticket.

We are 99.9% sure that when a channel fails at 50% - especially if you can still control it from 50%-100% that it is a blown triac.

A 100% triac on the other hand can have multiple causes.  I would put that percentage at 90% bad triac.  The other 10% can be caused by other sources - bad processor, bad opto, or short/critter on the board.

FYI:  Lizards LOVE controllers.  Let me say that again...  Lizards  L-O-V-E controllers!  They are a nice warm spot in the otherwise cold FL winter - especially those ones in Central FL :P.  The only problem is that a lizard is slightly more conductive than air or wire insulation.  If you get one between a hot and a neutral, expect that poor guy to glow like the element in your toaster - and promptly kill your board/set it on fire/etc.  

Thanks DevMike - If I change out the triac and the channel is still 100% is that repairable (Processor/opto)? I have inspected the board closely and there is no debris from ala' fricasseed Lizard and / or other critters.  

Your honest opinion - best to return for repair, just in case its not a bad triac, or replace and see what happens. 

Thanks! Seriously, you guys are the best at customer service.  I lot of other companies could learn from you guys.  

Robert - BKA zeighty 

Replace the Triac if you have the experience.  It's the easiest thing to change out.  The repair department right now is swamped.  If you sent a board in today, you might have it back before December 25th.

Unless there is physical damage to a board (lifted traces/pads, burnt, corrosion, etc) chances are we can fix it.  

Jim is (and I seem to be saying this A LOT ;) ) correct.

Gee, thanks Mike.

Maybe you'll have to offer me a job :)  Oh wait, I would NOT want to move to New York!  WAY too cold!

• The topic was locked