Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB16D power output 5v?

Dennis75

I'm trying to get a 5v output for my 16 channels on my CMB16D controller.. I originally thought I could just hook up a 5v power source to the board. But it looks like that was wrong after reading the manual... Unless mis interpreting it? The board manual says it can do 5v output, but I don't exactly know how. Does anyone have some guidance for me you'd like to share? Thank you and happy decorating!!

Dennis

You have to hook up one or 5 volt DC power supplies to the power inputs on your board. You have to make sure that the power supplies are high enough amperage to run the lights you are going to connect to the board.

You cannot use the small round power input next to the RJ45 jacks to power lights. That only powers the circuitry on the board. It will not power LED's.

Big power supplies get hooked up to the two green screw terminals on the other end of the board.

You need 5 volt DC power supplies that look like the ones on the bottom in this photo.

ETA:You will need a 12 volt power supply for the small jack to power the circuitry on the board if you use 5 volts for your lights. 

DSCN4494%20-%20Copy_zpsvv0o5ntt.jpg

Edited by Franke

The CMB16D needs 12v to operate the processor so if he connects a 5v power supply to the mains for the 5v output then he needs to include a 12v source to the aux input to power the processor.

Oh, I understand now. I read that I needed 12v power. But that's just thru the aux input to power the board. Makes perfect sense now! Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

Out of curiousity, in your picture what are the little blue boxes that you have 4 sets of nine lines up?

Thanks

Out of curiousity, in your picture what are the little blue boxes that you have 4 sets of nine lines up?

Thanks

Those are 36 EL Wire drivers. Electroluminescent wire is like a thin plastic neon that you can bend. It is also known as Cool Neon.

The one that looks red lights up as purple. I have 9 different colors of it.

DSCN4046small_zpssedk1d5n.jpg

• The topic was locked