Light-O-Rama Forums

ShutDown for the Season

dgrant

A freezing 60 degrees in North Florida. Taking down the display is equivalent to coming home from a vacation. You know its coming, and you know its no fun.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dgrant

• Santas Helper

• portcity_gt

• k6ccc

I left everything plugged up. But took down the "tune to" sign.

Didn't fire up the show. But didn't want to take it down either (didn't unplug anything. just left it alone).

The weather was crappy but not enough to start tearing down the show. I just didn't have it in me.

Like a last pulse thing.

Like telling a friend good-bye.

It sure is dark out there. :(

My last show ended at 10:00PM last night. It was a bitter sweet shutdown, I was very unhappy this year with my display. This was supposed to be my first year with my new RGB mega tree but the technicolor pixels I purchased this year were not waterproof as advertised. I got tired of replacing pixels so I shutdown the mega tree mid-season. I received replacement pixels from Ray so I will work on restringing the tree for next year.

Waiting to finish taking it all down , snowing again and cold but halfway there. ( Nova Scotia weather)

A lot of nice displayed work out there this year. Can,t wait to see everyone,s next year

We went out of town for the day yesterday and came home after dark--it was strange not seeing the lights on.  Took down the tune to sign yesterday morning and have one last private show for a friend from church that wrote a song that I sequenced this year.  At least I have nice weather--forecasted to be in the mid 60s this weekend.  A very successful year--thanks to everyone on this forum that shared their sequences and knowledge.  Big plans for next year...

Family is looking forward to the one last hurrah tonight. I doubt I will get anything down like I want this weekend. Weather supposed to turn crappy tomorrow.

Tonight will be my last showing...I was planning to end yesterday, but a friend who is interested in getting into the lifestyle (hobby/addiction/etc) wants to come by and see how it all works. It's fun putting the show together for all to see, but it's also fun letting people see behind the curtain. Hopefully he'll dig it and we can add another animated display to our valley next year!

Happy New Year all!

As a newbie, my family and I were sad to see it come to an end, We have had lights/decorations in our yard since the first week in October. It was kind of disappointing when I drove home last night to an empty yard (still haven't taken down the mega tree yet, sickness got in the way)

My youngest daughter said it was sad gong to bed without flashing lights out side her window as she fell asleep. I told her 9 more months and we get to do it al over again!

Happy New year!

As this way was my first year. I will miss seeing the happiness it brought to many in our area. Including our selves. BUT yet looking forward to next year with more knowledge and a bigger and brighter show. Keep shining all.

A big thank you to all who have helped me along the way.

Edited by Cdanna77

Well it's not all doom and gloom, mine will be running until the 5th Jan (12th night)

I'm in Windsor Ontario, just over the river from Detroit. You are all welcome LOL

Tonight is my last night. Show runs until 11:00 as normal for a Saturday. Sunday the two boys and I will take it all down and get about half out away. I've got 3 minor repair items on my list, and 12 strings of lights will be set aside for some minor re-wiring. My pixel star will be set aside for either a minor or maybe a major rebuild (more lights in either case). Most of it should be done Sunday with a little Monday. Today, take some photos and finalize the plan for 2015. Most important is get my video guy over to shoot the show tonight!

Took everything down this weekend before the cold got here. Still need to pack it away, the yard sure is dark. I had the best compliment from my 5 year old niece this year she said uncle john I really like your lights they dance.

Shut down at 11:00 pm on Dec. 25, had 4 people volunteer to help me take down and roll cords, started on Dec. 26 around 10:00am. Everything down and stored except some lights still in shop area and of course still have a few boxes here and there. Was great to have the help had it down and away in two days.

Well, I ended up running an extra day because my video guy was finally clear to come over this evening to shoot the show.  However that was completed about 2 hours ago, so I let it run until the normal shutdown time of 11:00.  I was outside to watch it for the final time.  Now as soon as I post this message, I will fire up the schedule editor and go back to the normal year round landscape lighting show schedule.  Makes me kinda sad...

I finally shut down for good on the 3rd.  Had to do two personal displays for friends and family that came to visit.  Even after being shut down for two days.. when I fired it up for a single showing the traffic started to come.  I am on a cul de sac hidden from the main road.. and still they saw it and still they came to watch.  I almost felt bad shutting it off after only one round of 4 songs while they all sat and watched.  But, it is time to strike the set and move on.

I like to leave mine running till the end of January. even then I still see people parked on the side of the road watching.

I like to leave mine running till the end of January. even then I still see people parked on the side of the road watching.

Interesting. I've never been to Anchorage before but hear its nice there. I have been to Fairbanks for a whole 3 days and that was 2 days too many for me. No offense to anyone who lives there. 

Started tear down today.

Took down and packed up everything but the mega tree.

Waiting for warmer less windy day for that beast. :)

Took about 5 hours.

Having a system in place makes it much easier and faster.

Making/adding little changes here and there makes for easier set-up and tear-down each year.