Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence beggars

Brian Mitchell

Folks. We were all new to this hobby once.

Can we tone it down a little bit, please? We go through this every year. If you don't want to help someone, then don't. But don't go bashing all newbies just because some come around asking for a handout.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caleb Linburg

• Santas Helper

• dgrant

• Don

I wonder if I could hold open auditions to program my house this year :)

Get me your channel count and the length of the music and I'll be happy to shoot you a quote for next year.

If a person is only looking for "timing" in a sequence, then your channel config would actually be better.

Not to be disagreeable Tom, (although I need to point out that timing marks/grids stay with the sequence, not the .lcc) but I've looked at some (and ONLY some) of what's available in free sequence land, and I think that if a person is only looking for timing, the Beat Wizard can deliver far superior results. It's like teaching a man to fish (Beat Wizard) compared to simply giving him a fish (free sequences for "timings"). And it does so in less time than it takes to log in here, much less post a thread. So I'm sorry, but that part of the argument doesn't hold water.

If all someone is looking for is timings, send them to me and I'll teach them how to do it for themselves in ten seconds or less.

Edited by George Simmons

Caleb

Great start on the site.  I think the video of the sequence is great and exactly what some of us need to get ideas to create our own.  I normally sequence next years show while the current show is running, I like to visit other shows and get ideas which puts me in the mood to sequence.  I admit that getting the timing and beats down is difficult for me and looking at sequences and videos helps.  Thanks for the your efforts, and Thanks to everyone else on this forum that  helps keep this Hobby alive and growing.

Not to be disagreeable Tom, (although I need to point out that timing marks/grids stay with the sequence, not the .lcc) but I've looked at some (and ONLY some) of what's available in free sequence land, and I think that if a person is only looking for timing, the Beat Wizard can deliver far superior results. It's like teaching a man to fish (Beat Wizard) compared to simply giving him a fish (free sequences for "timings"). And it does so in less time than it takes to log in here, much less post a thread. So I'm sorry, but that part of the argument doesn't hold water.

If all someone is looking for is timings, send them to me and I'll teach them how to do it for themselves in ten seconds or less.

Yes, I realize the timing marks stay with the sequence and not lcc. I was referring to what his layout consisted of (single props, not groups of them), which can sometimes simplify mixing into another's layout as I just finished helping someone get their show built using similar layouts (single props).

It was simpler because the timing was already there but so were the effects (fades, shimmers, on & off).

When I saw the word "Impossible" in the earlier post, I thought nonsense. It is possible.

Edited by Santas Helper

and I think that if a person is only looking for timing, the Beat Wizard can deliver far superior results.

I have to respectfully disagree with there. The Beat Wizard might be good for TSO, but as a musician, I don't get quality results with the beat wizard on anything with a shuffle (some rock, all blues and jazz) or most classical/soundtrack pieces which contain variable tempos.

I have to respectfully disagree with there. The Beat Wizard might be good for TSO, but as a musician, I don't get quality results with the beat wizard on anything with a shuffle (some rock, all blues and jazz) or most classical/soundtrack pieces which contain variable tempos.

You can run the Beat Wizard in sections of the song. Thus if the song changes time signatures from 4/4 to 3/4 and back to 4/4, you simply run the BW in sections. ID where the time change happens, and tell it to run those parts.

Done it many times. Usually end up with 3 or more timing grids to sections of the song.

I create my own sequences but I also like to comapre with what other people have been able to create. It not only helps with creativity but I have often found sections that "wow, why didnt i think of that".
Some are just straight up awesome as they are, so i modify to add my touch to it and then give credit if shared.

This year, I have my 2 oldest kids (16 & 14) sit down and start learniing how to sequence. Not only the show get something out of it and helps continue the family light tradition but its also an integeral part of the "hobby". Even if you suck at it, watch other shows, look at other sequences and learn from there. Noone was born amazing at sequencing (although creativity is a good gift to have), so requesting and sharing is a major part of the initial learning experience.

I see a couple of problems with such an influx of requests.
1) Kind people who dont mind sharing will become overwhelmed and no longer share (This post is evident that people are already starting to feel the "pressure")
2) The newbies (I am still one myself) will not bother to learn the craft and instead continue to request and use shared sequences.

3) There are a ton of site out there that offer both free and paid sequences. Unless a person on here has something that is impossible to find on the free (or even paid) market, asking here should be a last resort.

I have learnt soooo much from the sequences that have been shared as well as the ones i have downloaded. IMO thats part of the learning curve and as long as the end result is understanding and being able to create your own sequences I dont think there is anything wrong with requesting as long as it is in moderation.

But thats just my 2 cents #FoodLionAdFTW

Edited by Para

• The topic was locked