Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence beggars

Brian Mitchell

I consider myself somewhat of a veteran going into my 9th season. I agree with a lot of what's been said. I don't recall in years past the amount of people begging for sequences and giving all sorts of excuses as to why. I am already working on some additions for next year. I think what bothers me the most is the people that have this sense of entitlement. Instead of starting off small and manageable they want a huge display with pixels and rgb and all the bells and whistles. They don't do any searching for all the free sequences available to work from. Too many people are starting now intending to light up thanksgiving day! I'm willing to help folks out but only ask that they put forth some effort on their own. Rant over.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caleb Linburg

• Santas Helper

• dgrant

• Don

They don't do any searching for all the free sequences available to work from. I'm willing to help folks out but only ask that they put forth some effort on their own.

And this is very true and I agree.

I'm all about helping when I can, and doing so as we speak. It's fun and challenging. A person I'm currently helping expresses his gratitude and appreciation, which makes the "helping out" all more rewarding. Others don't even respond back with a simple little "Thank you".

Years ago when the LOR world was much smaller, we depended on each other, but respected "very much" what effort was put forth to help. I don't see as much of that now days. But then again, our world is larger with a different audience. So hopefully majority of folks truly appreciate the gift of GIVING.

I know there are a couple guys that give out a lot of basic free sequences which maybe feeds the entitlement syndrome.  I really like Caleb Linburg"s idea of his website.  I personally find that free sequences don't help me.  My display is way too different and this year don't have the time to sequence or money to do what I wanted for this year.  I ended up building a 400 gallon saltwater fish tank and doing a static display with trying a couple ideas that turned out pretty cool.  I really wanted to build a weber tree this year, but hopefully I can get back into the craziness next year.  I do want to say thanks again to Earl for his input on helping me plan my weber early in the year, just didn't pan out for me this year. 

I promised James Morris I would send him a video for sending a sequence or 2, but I had a hard time translating what he had into my display and then scrapping doing lights to music this year.  Next year will be a challenge to redesign what I have and make it easier to sequence.

An idea to add to Caleb's website,  A video of the song in action,  this helps me probably more than the actual sequence does.

Edited by scubado

Did you folks ever have someone ask you for a sequence and you were kind enough to share it with them.

You told them in advance that it has more channels then they have and they would have to adapt it to their show.

They send you an email back asking if you could cut your own sequence down to their channel count and could you please send them the MP3.

Yes this has happened to me. Talk about spoon feeding. To top it all off never ever a thank you.

I have had a few just this month... And no Thank You's.

There is no way I am adjusting my sequences to fit someone else's show, or their four controller license for that matter.

What makes up for all of this, is that I have a friend and we were talking about lights last year. He went out and bought a couple of LOR controllers and jumped in this year.

I have no problem supporting him with whatever his needs are. Always a grateful thanks.

This kind of makes up for the inconsiderate people who are panhandling sequences.

I've been freely giving out a very simple sequence of mine, Griswolds, edited sequence/audio. I get "Thank You's" about %50 of the time which is nice and one very nice person offered to send me his Grinch sequence in return, which I just received last night. Most of the rest of my sequences, I've either purchased CCR sequences to embed into my own or in one case, I bought the whole sequence from a place which I used in my show. Either way, I will not give those out due to the creative content from someone else. Added in my pixel tree this year therefore sequence file sizes are now huge which creates a problem for emailing them. My hopes is that even though I'm very much still a newbie in my eyes, I'm learning and I'm hoping to pass on things that I learn. 

My take:

This is my 4th year and it does seem to be a lot more people wanting/needing sequences.  I personally have asked for sequences from others and thanked them I hope in the process.  I still spend quit of bit of time in adapting them into my display.  Also, I am not very good at breaking down the timing with all the different channels and I know there are people who are a whole let better than me.  I will admit, I do wait late in the season to do my sequencing, but I am getting a little better.  I believe that most of the people who are involved with this hobby and participate on this forum have good hearts and intentions or they wouldn't be doing this.  My thought is that if someone has already invented the wheel why try to reinvent it?  This allows me more time to spend on other parts of my display which I probably enjoy a little more.  If I had a great sequence I wouldn't mind sharing it with anyone, but I don't think it exists.  :-) 

On another note:  I have a neighbor/friend now that has one of the largest static displays around southern Indiana.  This year we have bonded and I helped them out with setting up their display and in return I have borrowed their bucket truck to hang lights.  This made it so nice!  Big thanks to the Adams!  With that being said....if it weren't for people sharing their sequence of other stuff I wouldn't have had the extra time to make new friends and pay it forward.

In the end:  Caleb's idea would help out tremendously!  I know there is a lot of you that share your sequence & I think I can say for everyone THANK YOU in making it possible to put these shows on for the kids & the kids in us.  Even though some people may feel entitled, I feel most of us do appreciate it.  Happy Holidays! ~Dwayne

Just bought freesequences.com

I will work on building the site to hold sequences. If anyone wants to send sequences to be put on the site so I can test them, that would be great. Please include a link to amazon or somewhere the song can be bought. Also, youtube or vimeo links of your display would be great. I don't know when I will get it up and running, but I can test with these sequences. 

I try to sequence what I can but also ask to see if someone else has done a sequence of a song I stumble upon.

I will never email a video of what I've done with a shared sequence but please do not take it personally. I'm just not a fan of doing so.

The main thing shared sequences do is usually offer timings and other ideas of how to sequence a particular song.

Great idea with the Free Sequence site. I'd love to see something initially with song title, artist and number of channels. Perhaps in the future it could include if it is an RGB sequence and includes mega trees or spiral trees, singing faces, arches, etc.

But a big thank you to those who have and will continue to share sequences they have done.

Started development on the site. Im liking the way it is beginning to work. At first I will manually add sequences that are sent to me, and then I will open it up for users to post sequences. Also, until I get a better hosting plan, I will need to only have sequences without pixels. Feel free to keep the ideas coming, they all help to make the site better. 

I honestly think a lot of it has to do with singing faces. A lot of people want them, very few want to learn or take the time to program them. My wife has been programming our singing faces for Halloween and Christmas since April.

For legal reasons more than anything else you might want to stay clear of sharing the audio files. Even if they are edited or remixed they would still be a copyright infringement.

For legal reasons more than anything else you might want to stay clear of sharing the audio files. Even if they are edited or remixed they would still be a copyright infringement.

Yeah, thats why Im having trouble figuring out how to handle it because a lot of people have sequences that require this type of file. 

I saw a thread somewhere recently (on another forum) that used Audacity to help with edited audio tracks.  Basically you pointed to a website that you could legally purchase the unedited audio and then use the Audacity project file that would edit the audio correctly.  I'll see if I can find that thread.