Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence beggars

Brian Mitchell

I saw a thread somewhere recently (on another forum) that used Audacity to help with edited audio tracks.  Basically you pointed to a website that you could legally purchase the unedited audio and then use the Audacity project file that would edit the audio correctly.  I'll see if I can find that thread. 

i posted this in the nutcracker thread and i talked about it on one of my tutorials.

Basically send them the link to purchase the mp3.

After editing your file, save as an audacity project file (*.aup).

Send them the aup (it has no music in it).

They open the newly purchased file and your edits are applied to it. They finally export from audacity as a mp3 file. This newly created file will match yours.

sean

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caleb Linburg

• Santas Helper

• dgrant

• Don

I honestly think a lot of it has to do with singing faces. A lot of people want them, very few want to learn or take the time to program them. My wife has been programming our singing faces for Halloween and Christmas since April.

I agree. I have become quit proficient at sequencing the singing faces and they take a lot of time to complete. I am very accurate in my animation. I want the singing elements to look like they are really singing not just flapping there lips over the singing. I did like to down load others singing faces sequences but not to use in a show but to see how my sequencing animation stacked up against others. but I never asked for any, I just took advantage of those who were willing to share. End result was I do all my own now.  As this hobby grows there will be many more people requesting sequences. especially the singing faces. I think those of us who have been at this for a few years now need to help the newbie understand that if you ain't ready by January your'e going to be playing catch up all year long.  :P  :P  :P

Caleb, I'd be happy to send my simple Griswold sequence there but the audio, edited and shortened, I have no clue where it came from other than someone here on the forums sent it too me, two years ago. Since its edited, I don't think the original sender would mind. What would you suggest for posting this on your site?

Caleb, I'd be happy to send my simple Griswold sequence there but the audio, edited and shortened, I have no clue where it came from other than someone here on the forums sent it too me, two years ago. Since its edited, I don't think the original sender would mind. What would you suggest for posting this on your site?

If you want to send it to me, for now I am posing the sequences. I will mess around with it to see what I can do about the audio. I have a couple ideas in mind of how to share the audio legally. Clinbu@gmail.com

Im looking at putting audio on the site. Im wondering if it would be seen as legal if to download the edited files if users had to agree that they have already purchased the audio. If anyone knows more about they laws around this, please chime in. 

Edited by Caleb Linburg

Im looking at putting audio on the site. Im wondering if it would be seen as legal if to download the edited files if users had to agree that they have already purchased the audio. If anyone knows more about they laws around this, please chime in. 

I would stay clear of any sharing of audio files.  Even edited versions are still derived from a copyrighted original.  Of course most everyone is going to agree they own a purchased copy. Numerous file sharing sites that share primarily music files have been shut down. There are hundreds of sequence files that can be shared using music that people already have or can purchase.  If they want to edit a sequence I suggest they learn how to do it and use a program such as audacity to edit their own audio file.I think what you are putting together is great but why set yourself up for possible legal problems as your site grows bigger. I myself have edited some music to create a sequence or two but the majority of my work is unedited.  I think you will grow quite a large library that there really shouldn't be a need for edited material.  Just my .02. 

Edited by Mike G

I spend about two hours per minute per 32 channels. I don't give away my sequences because they would be utterly useless to anyone else. I don't use the "standard layout " for channels, props, etc.

My sequences are custom made for how the lights are laid out in my yard an on my home. There are no mini-trees, arches, stars, super trees, etc. with no standard props, the upside is that my show is very unique, but the downside is that sharing is impossible.

I spend about two hours per minute per 32 channels. I don't give away my sequences because they would be utterly useless to anyone else. I don't use the "standard layout " for channels, props, etc. My sequences are custom made for how the lights are laid out in my yard an on my home. There are no mini-trees, arches, stars, super trees, etc. with no standard props, the upside is that my show is very unique, but the downside is that sharing is impossible.

If a person is only looking for "timing" in a sequence, then your channel config would actually be better. This way a person is not navigating around arches, mega trees, mini trees, etc...

Only 1 hour for each minute!!!!

Wow it takes me 8 hours to sequence 1 minute of a song.

I hear ya brother. Can't rush perfection. :)

I hear ya brother. Can't rush perfection. :)

With all due respect, depending on the number of channels involved, 1 hour per minute isn't out of the realm of possibility. 

I'm over 10, 000 channels this year & it's taking me closer to 1 hour per second on complicated sections. :-(

10 hours per minute for me: 128 standard LOR channels +800 RGB channels to change

Edited by wmilkie

Personally I don't see the problem with buying a few sequences from LOR if you are a real newbie and don't know how to sequence or have the time to. If you spent the money for at least 1 controller, software, extension cords/SPT cord and plugs, and of course the lights themselves what is another $35-$45 per song? Especially getting the ones you can later modify after you know how to sequence. Use them as a building block, see what the programmers did and copy or add to the sequence as you learn and your display grows. My first two years I went from 1 controller to two controllers and had the old 5 song sequence package that I think I got during one of the sales. Was it absolutely perfect for my setup, no. Did it get me a show in time for the season and impress my family and friends and did they enjoy the show, Yes!

My point is, I'm pretty new here too. Been doing shows for 4 years straight and due to moving and having everything in a storage unit I'm not doing a show this year. If you are real new here and want a show up and running and don't know how to sequence, don't want to learn or don't have the time to learn this season then go to the LOR sequence store and buy 2-3 sequences and the audio for it. Next year, take a LOR class, attend the Christmas Expo, attend a local mini or watch videos online both by LOR and individuals.

Later,

Al

IMHO - to all of those that do share, you should keep in mind that noone EVER has the same setup as you do when it comes to elements.  There may be the same number of channels but elements, I doubt it.  If you look at these requests as coming from "Beggars" compared to nothing less than a flock of seagulls attacking a bag of open potato chips, then keep your sequences to yourself.  Use PM, and ignore all you want.  Or simply state in your posts  'I dont share, so please dont ask', maybe you will be left alone.

I dont disagree that it is alot of hard work to sequence a song from start to scratch, but I am sure at one time or another we have all sat there with all of this in front of us and said OK, now what?  A little kick start from a shared sequence goes a long way.

A kick start is one thing. We all had to start  doing our own thing. Spoon feeding the newbs that are too lazy to even try to sequence their own show material is another.

Come On folks this is not Mr. Christmas. It's not Gemmy. The folks in the forums tell you straight up this is not a plug and play sort of thing.

Get over it, you have to invest some time to get your show to look and keep time with your audio track. I want I want is not what this hobby is all about.