Light-O-Rama Forums

After changing Unit ID - no longer connects

mking0310

Thank you to the folks that have answered many questions over the years. I've exhausted my search skills and must post the question that many have asked before, and their answers didn't solve my issue.

I have 2 CTD16PCG3

One of them is 1 day old.

I read that I needed to change the unit id on my new controller, so I used the Hardware utility (HU) because there are no switches on the controller.

After that, it would no longer connect. The other connects fine, unless I daisy chain it to the new problem controller.

My original controller works fine with the Cat 5 cable, and I've swapped numerous cable just to be sure.

I have performed 3 resets just to cover my bases. 

I have tried to daisy chain them in different ways,  then went to the sequence editor to see if they would work there, and maybe just not in the HU.

In the sequence editor, the original controller works, and the problem does not.  I even tried changing the unit number from 1 thru 5 just for grins. 

The LED blinks green on the problem controller, no matter what I do.  Where as the good controller will go solid as soon as I plug it in.

It seems the USB is fine, and the cable is fine.

I have tried changing the Unit Number back by choose Any device,  and it fails. 

I checked the box that ignores errors and it says "Unit iD may have changed, cannot verify"  but it still does not connect, despite all the times I've clicked that darn refresh button. 

I'm at your mercy.  Again, it worked until I changed the unit ID.  Hindsight, I believe I changed it incorrectly.  I used the SET NEW ID instead of Change Existing.  There's got to be a cure for the common noob mistake. 

Open a trouble ticket with LOR since its new. Take a flashlight and possibly a magnifying glass and closely examine the small finger wires of the RJ45 connectors. What you're looking for is those wires to be pushed in, but not popping back out to their original positions. If you find that some or one are pushed in on both connectors, I'd suspect that's the issue. Again, trouble ticket first since its new.

• Like 1

Why oh why in the world did LOR get rid of those manual dials for ID selection?

I don't have any (thank gawd) so I can manually set my controllers with the dials and never mess with HU. Haven't messed with HU in years. And I can add or subtract controllers all day long, and no HU.

Why oh why in the world did LOR get rid of those manual dials for ID selection?

I don't have any (thank gawd) so I can manually set my controllers with the dials and never mess with HU. Haven't messed with HU in years. And I can add or subtract controllers all day long, and no HU.

Well they were never there for the residential series of controllers. People wanted a lower cost controller, so LOR delivered one. One of the things that went was the turn dials. 

What version of the software are you using?

Who are you asking?

Well they were never there for the residential series of controllers. People wanted a lower cost controller, so LOR delivered one. One of the things that went was the turn dials. 

Thanks Don. Been doing this since late 2005 and never messed with one without the turn dials with all the controllers I've used current and in the past.

Who are you asking?

Thanks Don. Been doing this since late 2005 and never messed with one without the turn dials with all the controllers I've used current and in the past.

Well I have not been doing this as long as you. But back a few years ago I remember several people have problems with them BCD coded switches. And the contacts on one of the 4 contacts. So K.I.S.S. does eliminate some problems but creates others.

Well I have not been doing this as long as you. But back a few years ago I remember several people have problems with them BCD coded switches. And the contacts on one of the 4 contacts. So K.I.S.S. does eliminate some problems but creates others.

Few years ago I had a controller that had an issue keeping the ID. The solution was to spin the dial a few times and things magically started working again. 

Don did you do this in the dark? Ifn so, then that would be black magic. What you did was used the contacts to wipe or clean the stationary contacts. TV tuner cleaner (if you can find this stuff any more) works wonders also.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As the days get away from me, I find myself going two steps forward.... 1 step back...  This was resolved by someones suggestion to check the pins.  It being so new, and my not-so-great vision,  prevented me from seeing that the ethernet jacks WERE bent a bit -  I think the seasonal entertainment crossover cord bent them, b/c that thing is so big and tight  (and now I don't even use it)  IF anyone wants it,  you can have it.

Now I'm stuck on my pixels- but that post will get put in the right location, 

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/34464-pixels-misbehave-sometimes/

• 2 weeks later...

Open a trouble ticket with LOR since its new. Take a flashlight and possibly a magnifying glass and closely examine the small finger wires of the RJ45 connectors. What you're looking for is those wires to be pushed in, but not popping back out to their original positions. If you find that some or one are pushed in on both connectors, I'd suspect that's the issue. Again, trouble ticket first since its new.

Dgrant is amazing! Pay close attention to his post. I was lost for over a week trying to re route my power cables and data cables so they were no where near each other to minimize interference. Even slowed network speed down to lowest setting. Replaced CAT5 cables to no avail. Reset unit ID's and re tested. Nothing....figured I'd give Dgrant suggestion shot and sure enough he was right on the money !!!! What a relief I'm only sorry I didn't see your post sooner! Merry Christmas! Thanks for your help!

So you opened a LOR trouble ticket and that fixed it?

Just kidding.

There is some great talent/knowledge here and dgrant is one of them.

Congrats on the fix.

Great job dgrant.

Tom

Thank You guys...I'm honored. I ran into this a couple of times in the past two years and I've been trying to get the word out for all of our sakes...those little wire-fingers, change shape easily and LOR has no fix for it. The controllers are out in the elements and the extremes with temperatures and that fact alone causes problems along with the many manufacturers of RJ45 plugs damaging the connectors on the board. I bought a pair of high-power controllers from someone local who couldn't get it to work and jumped out before getting it to run. Sure enough, it was the exact same issue. In that case, the guy damaged the connector so badly, I had to replace it but its out there in my show working just fine now!

• The topic was locked