Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR.. All BS aside.. time to answer the questions

plasmadrive

Dan thanks for the update and answering my question. Sounds like heading in a direction that will support the direction in decoration many of us are going. Now hopefully the cost of Pixels will come down.

Dan thanks for the update and answering my question. Sounds like heading in a direction that will support the direction in decoration many of us are going. Now hopefully the cost of Pixels will come down.

Not to be rude....... but Dan is investing a bazillion dollars in R&D on S3 and now you want him to lower prices on his pixels?..........

Give the man a break :unsure:

The planned changes seem very well thought out and responsive to what those with large displays are experiencing. I respect the decision to focus first on updating the code base to current tools and environments. That's playing the long game, and I think will pay off., but may be painful and lengthy getting there.

The xlights/nutcracker investment in code shows a commitment to really take a huge step forward with pixel effects in LOR software.

My only concern (other than seeing a pretty daunting length of tasks), is ensuring the new file format is still open for other programs (such as xlights) to read and save into.

The new developments seam focused towards pixel use and large channels counts.  The decorators that are doing this would both be using E1.31 in most cases and probably rely on the file format being open.  Eliminating either of these would alienate the users they plan to build towards.  I would assume, as in the past, their new protocol will provide additional benefits when using the LOR suite of products.

As E1.31 becomes the standard for transporting DMX over IP, the problem for LOR is to continue to talk to their controllers which are RS-485 based.  From a business perspective, they have to continue to support their legacy hardware since there is such a large installed base.  That being said, from a business perspective, they have to move into the space where the dmx lighting industry is moving or be left behind.  The trick is to find or build the bridge.

IMHO......

My question is whats it gonna cost!  Its fine if it does all these things but if it prices me out of doing my own pixels again (like the superstar licenses does!) I will definitely move on to something else as painful as that may be, I hope that the upgrade cost will be reasonable.

John

My question is whats it gonna cost!  Its fine if it does all these things but if it prices me out of doing my own pixels again (like the superstar licenses does!) I will definitely move on to something else as painful as that may be, I hope that the upgrade cost will be reasonable.

John

I don't feel LOR has ever price gouged us before for there software and they have no reason to start now...........IMO

Per the original announcement

"The new LORnet will allow for 100,000+ channel ( 30,000+ pixel ) displays. As a result of this new method of representing data, all communications protocols supported by LOR will see benefit."

I feel pretty comfortable that lor will continue to support E1.31 , as has been stated above , that would be taking a step back with the software . Lor seems to understand that the large ch counts are the way of the future .

Per the original announcement

"The new LORnet will allow for 100,000+ channel ( 30,000+ pixel ) displays. As a result of this new method of representing data, all communications protocols supported by LOR will see benefit."

I feel pretty comfortable that lor will continue to support E1.31 , as has been stated above , that would be taking a step back with the software .

That's my assumption as well, but thought I'd mention it, as you know what happens when you assume something. :)

Very valid point , but lor is obviously investing a lot of time and money on a redesign . My thinking is they need to sell copies of the software to recoup some of that investment . Dropping e1.31 would obviously keep most of us who use pixels from spending on an upgrade . We would either stay with an older version and use xlights , or switch altogether .

If LOR is going to use the same method of sending data out like the way Nutcracker/Xlights does currently, there is no worry that it will not be compatible with E1.31.. Remember Nutcracker can run LOR controllers and E1.31 currently... By adopting their method though, it will reduce network traffic quite abit and this is how it will allow them to scale to large pixel count displays.

My reference to the cost is in upgrading SS  I think its a crime to charge so much just to add a string or two of pixels and not get the functionality out of SS. I bought the superstar upgrade to run a 2 strings of pixels last year. this year I want to add a mega tree and in order to use superstar it would cost me an additional 300 dollars!  I don't know if that is gouging but I certainly cant justify that upgrade cost. I now have to figure out how to use xlights and nutcracker and integrate that with S3 instead of using superstar which I foolishly spent money on.

Not to be rude....... but Dan is investing a bazillion dollars in R&D on S3 and now you want him to lower prices on his pixels?..........

Give the man a break :unsure:

I'm sorry you misunderstood. Like almost anything that is relatively new electronics. After a time the cost / price of said item starts to drop. I was in no way focusing on Dan's products. I was thinking and typing about pixels in general. If anyone else thought otherwise, then sorry it was not my intent.  Oh and BTW gmac whats it to you? Do you hold stock in LOR?

• Like 1

+1 on the e1.31 continued support. And I agree I hope the price on pixels would come down in price, And It would be great if someone could develope a m6 size pixel so it would look like a regular led string.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that if it was a major upgrade it would be called s4,  or am I mistaken or was it a slip of the keyboard by Dan?   

I was under the impression that if it was a major upgrade it would be called s4,  or am I mistaken or was it a slip of the keyboard by Dan?   

I don't think the 3 refers to a release/version number, but rather an acronym for Showtime Software Suite.