Light-O-Rama Forums

Light-O-Rama in 2006

Guest guest

Dan,

Thank you for all your helpful replies to everyone's questions. Could you please give me more information about that 16 Channel DIY Kit . Is this kit something we will have to put together (solder the pieces on)? You send us the parts and we assembly the board? Thanks for your time.

Glenn Barber wrote:

I assume either one Hobbyist or Showtime will handle the music?
Yes, the music comes from the sound card on your PC so the controller doesn't actually know that there is any music playing. It is just doing what it is told to do.

Dan... I noticed you said the new director/mp3 card had an "input". I have a few ideas circulating through my head, but what could you do with it (music after show is finished playing)?

Dan,

For what it's worth, I would be very interested in an 'affiliate program' ala Amazon or Barnes and Noble, etc. Mostly because my site is pretty well suited for one. And after i implement the ability to upload video to CLF, it will be even more suited for such a program. Being an authorized dealer probably isn't for me. More often than not, an AD usually means a storefront, or some sort of other business, such as a Lighting Decorator, etc.. I have run several businesses, and have enjoyed them, but not really looking to do that right now, however, I believe in this product tremendously, and would love to support it with an Affiliate program.

Of course, if you have some smaller logo graphics available, I can throw a link onto my site anyway. (Been meaning to do just that).

Oh! And one suggestion. I think you might do well to offer a 'transmitter' that could plug into the USB port to talk to a wireless controller. That way, you could buy a single controller for outside, and wire the rest of your controllers to it, and use the transmitter to contact it to control all of your boards. Just an idea.. I think you would sell a lot more wireless units if a single one can be used in a setup.. (It sounds like 2 are needed to make them useful.. unless I misread something somewhere)

mountainwxman wrote:

Dan... I noticed you said the new director/mp3 card had an "input". I have a few ideas circulating through my head, but what could you do with it (music after show is finished playing)?

That question will be best answered in March. The function of the inputs will be selectable to a degree. We see it as a way of starting the show or kicking off a sub-sequence while the rest of the show continues to play and some other things...We will try to get the user guides for these units out in the next 45 days for you to see.

cbromley wrote:

Oh! And one suggestion. I think you might do well to offer a 'transmitter' that could plug into the USB port to talk to a wireless controller. That way, you could buy a single controller for outside, and wire the rest of your controllers to it, and use the transmitter to contact it to control all of your boards. Just an idea.. I think you would sell a lot more wireless units if a single one can be used in a setup.. (It sounds like 2 are needed to make them useful.. unless I misread something somewhere)
What you describe will be available. The wireless units are just transceivers that plug into a controller or into the PC. Yes you will need at least two of them. The transmit in both directions that way you will still be able to use things like the hardware utility to manage the controllers.

cbromley wrote:

Dan,

For what it's worth, I would be very interested in an 'affiliate program' ala Amazon or Barnes and Noble, etc. Mostly because my site is pretty well suited for one. And after i implement the ability to upload video to CLF, it will be even more suited for such a program. Being an authorized dealer probably isn't for me. More often than not, an AD usually means a storefront, or some sort of other business, such as a Lighting Decorator, etc.. I have run several businesses, and have enjoyed them, but not really looking to do that right now, however, I believe in this product tremendously, and would love to support it with an Affiliate program.

Of course, if you have some smaller logo graphics available, I can throw a link onto my site anyway. (Been meaning to do just that).

I will send you a small gif. I do not now too much about how affiliate programs work about it does sound promising.

Basically they way they work dan is he would put a link on his webpage. If someone comes to his page, and then clicks to the LOR page and buys he would get a small amt of money. I believe Tim fischer does this with Amazon. I know he does not make much, but enough to support his website I think he said. Course this would be more work for your lawyers. Hopefully we will know all about the particulars of the dealer and affiliate plan by the first part of may or so. Good job with all your new things coming out this year dan!!!!

cuonebay wrote:

Dan,

Thank you for all your helpful replies to everyone's questions. Could you please give me more information about that 16 Channel DIY Kit . Is this kit something we will have to put together (solder the pieces on)? You send us the parts and we assembly the board? Thanks for your time.

Hi,

Yes the DIY Kit will be send un-assembled but with all parts required to build a 16 channel controller. It will be sold in two forms:

BASIC: As simple as possible, no unit-id switches, no stand alone memory, no speed control. That kit would be as basic as we can go and it will allow you to build a pretty inexpensive card.

DELUXE: Same as the existing CTB16D.

LightORama wrote:

I will send you a small gif. I do not now too much about how affiliate programs work about it does sound promising.

I have an account with EDimensional and Amazon::

eDimensional uses a merchant software to track clicks and links and pays from 5 to 10% commision on sales.

I may be able to help set up something if your webmaster needs the help.

Dan,

A lot of larger players use Commission Junction to create their affiliate program. That way, it is all done there, instead of having to do all the tracking yourself, which could get quite daunting, especially the closer to the holidays it gets. Basically, you pay them a fee to set up the program, and they do all of the work involved in tracking purchases, etc.

http://www.cj.com/

Chris

LightORama wrote:

cuonebay wrote:

Dan,

Hi,

Yes the DIY Kit will be send un-assembled but with all parts required to build a 16 channel controller. It will be sold in two forms:

BASIC: As simple as possible, no unit-id switches, no stand alone memory, no speed control. That kit would be as basic as we can go and it will allow you to build a pretty inexpensive card.

DELUXE: Same as the existing CTB16D.
Dan, i plan on running my show with the computer, and never with standalone, am i right in just purchasing the basic kit, or is there something i will need from the deluxe. could you point me in the right direcion Bob

Bob, Good question. I was wondering the same thing. I will always have my computer hooked up so I don't need the stand alone option either. If you don't have any unit Id's can you use more than on controller? How will you assign the channels if there are no unit Id's. Does that mean you can only have one controller?

Dan, what does the speed controller do?

Thanks

Dan, i plan on running my show with the computer, and never with standalone, am i right in just purchasing the basic kit, or is there something i will need from the deluxe. could you point me in the right direcion Bob

If you are not going to go with Standalone then the basic cards will do everything you need.

I personally like having the dials to set the Unit ID that come with the deluxe cards... Without them you have to use the hardware utility to set them. Not a big deal. (actually in my own display I only use the basic CTB08 card and it does just fine.

Dan,

I've been reading all I can in this forum, but I haven't seen anything on Dasher support. I think I did read that LOR II, will still support Dasher boards. I'm not real familiar with protocols, but will Dasher still have to be run separately from it's own serial port, and will it still have to be run with a rs232 connection? I'm sure this is a big "no", but will it be possible to run Dasher with a wireless connection? :P Just trying to get an idea of hookup possiblilities for my 2006 display.

Thanks

Bill

Yes... Dasher will be supported in LORII just as it is today... It will need its own serial port. Dasher will not work with wireless the way we have it. The wirelless is based on the LOR protocol and uses parts of it to work correctly.