Light-O-Rama Forums

Light-O-Rama in 2006

Guest guest

Jonathan,

I have put similar boards together and I have also put together several Ramsey kits. I would almost guarantee, that if you can put a Ramsey kit together, you can put one of Dan's boards together. :D

Bill Hoffman wrote:

Jonathan,

I have put similar boards together and I have also put together several Ramsey kits. I would almost guarantee, that if you can put a Ramsey kit together, you can put one of Dan's boards together. :D

Thanks,

Thats exactly what I wanted to know. :)

timj wrote:

What are the minimum system requirements to efficiently run the LOR software (and the LOR II software) ?

400 MHz or faster CPU

Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000 or XP

20 MB free disk space + room for Audio and Sequence files

128 MB RAM

One serial port or a USB to serial port adapter (adapter is available from LOR)

Holds true for ( LOR II ).

Thanks! Right after I posted, I found the brand new LOR faqs on the LOR site. Kudos to that! I just wanted to make sure the requirements applied to LOR II as well. Thanks again!

I'm planning on purchasing LOR this year. One thing that I have a question about is the connection from the computer to the LOR equipment. Is there a wire from the computer connected to LOR or is this a wireless connection. I figure I can get an easier answer here than searching for the answer myself.

On a side note. I am very impressed with this forum. Everyone here is very helpful and eager to tell what they know. I don't get the feeling that people here just want to make there display better than everyone else but that they want to help. Its refreshing for someone like me who is new to all this.

Matt,

You will be able to do either. Presently we use a single cat-5 or telephone cable that goes from the computer to the controllers. LOR is coming out with a wireless connection, along with LOR II. So basically, it will be whatever meets your needs.

Wireless connector (Easy Light Linker) – This new unit was successfully beta tested last season. This RF unit was custom designed to work in a LOR network to provide wireless connectivity between LOR network components. You can use wireless to get out of the house without any holes! … One RF unit can drive any number of connected LOR controllers or you can put a RF unit on each unit. Coordinate the lights inside and out side your house without wires. (Available in our April sale)

Quoted from the start of this topic.

Dan,

I have been using a Pentium II 266MH with much success in the past. Do I need a more powerfull system with the new software? I'll loose my ISA slot if I have to upgrade and loose all my SSR channels.

Thanks,

James

James Peachee wrote:

Dan,

I have been using a Pentium II 266MH with much success in the past. Do I need a more powerfull system with the new software? I'll loose my ISA slot if I have to upgrade and loose all my SSR channels.
James,

We have tried to make the new software more effecient so you should not have a problem. HOWEVER you may need to upgrade to WIN98SE... I will check but I do not believe we can run on "plain" WIN98 anymore.

• 4 months later...

LightORama wrote:

Existing LOR controllers/firmware will not work with LOR II. All existing LOR controllers will be upgraded to this new protocol free of charge.

I'm guessing these will be upgraded using a software update applied by the user since it would be chaotic having customers send in their devices for upgrading. Is that correct?

Hope v.2 is coming out soon so we can get some practice before the season hits.

gaines wrote:

I'm guessing these will be upgraded using a software update applied by the user since it would be chaotic having customers send in their devices for upgrading. Is that correct?

Hope v.2 is coming out soon so we can get some practice before the season hits.

This has been addressed many times before. Everything will be user upgradeable, except for some very old 8 channel controllers.

• 2 weeks later...

LightORama wrote:

timj wrote:
What are the minimum system requirements to efficiently run the LOR software (and the LOR II software) ?

400 MHz or faster CPU

128 MB RAM

"We have tried to make the new software more effecient so you should not have a problem. HOWEVER you may need to upgrade to WIN98SE... I will check but I do not believe we can run on "plain" WIN98 anymore."

I am getting ready to hit the thrift stores, looking for an old PC to use as my show computer. Going back through this thread, I see Dan gave two different answers for the Operating System minimum requirement. Which is correct, Windows 98 or 98SE for running LOR II?

Denny

circus4u wrote:

LightORama wrote:
timj wrote:

400 MHz or faster CPU

128 MB RAM

"We have tried to make the new software more effecient so you should not have a problem. HOWEVER you may need to upgrade to WIN98SE... I will check but I do not believe we can run on "plain" WIN98 anymore."

I am getting ready to hit the thrift stores, looking for an old PC to use as my show computer. Going back through this thread, I see Dan gave two different answers for the Operating System minimum requirement. Which is correct, Windows 98 or 98SE for running LOR II?

Denny

LOR II will require Windows 98SE

• 2 months later...

This thread hasnt been bumped in a while so I just wanted to ask what the status of LORII software. I have Version 1.5.0 of the Seq Editior. Is this the absolute latest version at this time? I just want to be sure I have cutting edge software to work with when setting things up.

Thanks!

Tim

Yep. Nobody knows when LOR II is gonna be released...except for the LOR staff...Even if it does come out before most of us start our light shows...I'm guessing not many people are going to use it until next Christmas. I hope it doesn't come out until after christmas...because I do not need anymore problems and anymore stuff to worry about than I already have. A lot of improvements are going into the sequence editor, and since many of us have our sequencing done or close to being done, we aren't going to change it 2 days before the show and encounter a lot of problems. You do have the lastest version of LOR's software.

Hope that helps...

Thank you for your reply. I agree, I wouldnt want to go changing things with the Sequences weeks before showtime. Im sure the software will go thru quite a beta phase before it goes main stream. Cant wait to see what they cook up.

TFancher wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I agree, I wouldnt want to go changing things with the Sequences weeks before showtime. Im sure the software will go thru quite a beta phase before it goes main stream. Cant wait to see what they cook up.

I think that most people are going to very happy with LORII !!! It is a big leap!!! You are correct about the beta testing....

One of the best things about LOR II (for current LOR users) is that it is free!