Light-O-Rama Forums

How to test Showtime MP3 Director?

rhino

1. First off, can someone tell me what a steady light on the "R" status indicates? The manual provides information if the "R" LED is (a) steady blink; and blink twice, pause, blink twice, pause...

... but there is no indication in the documentation what a steady on is for the "R" LED status.

2. Don't know if there are problems with my Showtime MP3 Director (not the mini), or if I'm doing something wrong. How does one test the MP3 Director to make sure it's working fine?

3. Configuration:

a. I have the MP3 Director connected to Controller #01 (Professional Series) via a CAT5 cable. Also have an FM transmittor attached to the MP3 director.

b. I have an SD card in the MP3 Director, with one show (Show01) on it. It has 5 musical sequences. To run continuously between 6pm - 9pm. Show built from Hardware Utility, onto SD card. I chose the "Lock Step" option (recommended) as well as the Comm Speed = 57.6 (recommended).

c. I have dial on the MP3 director pointing to "1", to play Show01.

Issues:

Plugged the SD card into the MP3 director during the schedule (between 6pm - 9pm). Green "P" LED status is on (good thing). "R" status is steady. After about a minute, the first several lights come on, but then it appears to "freeze". Sometimes the "R" status is off. Sometimes, the "E" status is blinking fast.

This all happened on 12/02. It worked just fine on 12/01 (first day of show) -- had a few "random flutter of lights" during the night, but nothing a push of the Reset button didn't solve.

I have detached the MP3 director and brought it home. Not sure how to test it. Or, if I'm doing something wrong.

Ideas?

Edited by rhino

it sounds like you have a bad SD card installed. Try formatting again (FAT or FAT16). Not sure what the max capacity that can be used is (<= 2GB ?).

I had my first SD card failure last night. I came home and the show was not running. The R LED was flashing very fast (barely visible). I tried resetting the controller, but it ended up doing the same thing. I loaded the shows on a different SD card and all is well.

All great suggestions.

What worked for me was this:

a. Unplugged the cat5 cable, thereby removing power from the MP3 controller. Plugged it back in the next morning, and all was well. I'm liking this to a Microsoft reboot. Don't know why, but it just works (most of the time).

b. The "random flutter of lights", I'm thinking, was caused by my FM transmittor's antenna touching (or very close to touching) one of the LOR controllers. Try to provide more separation for the FM transmittor, and the "flutter" (more like a shimmer) is now non-existant.

Again, thanks for your suggestions -- I love this forum!