Light-O-Rama Forums

try for free did you get you order yet

CharlesFitz

At that level, mine are only about 30% as bright. However, as we know, you might see percentages different that I (or most) do.

I can tell you hold onto things for a long time... I'll let it be.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arteom

• LOR Staff

• Tim Fischer

• Don

Guest Don Gillespie

Sorry for the horrible pictures, but here are a few :D

AMBA0064.jpg

AMBA0065.jpg

AMBA0066.jpg

Well did you get anything extra in the order? did you win for free like I did? come on let us know man its killing me.

Well did you get anything extra in the order? did you win for free like I did? come on let us know man its killing me.

I wish I knew, this is my first time ordering anything from LOR so I can't tell what's standard procedures, what's winning procedure...

I did not get a little "bonus" in the box like you were fortunate to get, but everything I ordered is here, working, and I'm happy.

As far as if i got it free, I don't know how to find out until they contact me or they post a list of names. Its killing me too. :D

If I may ask a simple question, I'm not sure if you mostly use LED's but do you have the same problem with Incandescents? If you use anything less than 30% intensity in sequence editor (30% being the lowest easily visible intensity) the lights get lost in the show? I have a few sequences where in the background there are lights shining on at 20% and dimming to 0 for some effect, and they are barely noticeable, but at 30% it seems just right. At 10% from a distance, the lights look completely off. LED's different story, they all seem to dim "properly" and look much nicer.

I wish I knew, this is my first time ordering anything from LOR so I can't tell what's standard procedures, what's winning procedure...

I did not get a little "bonus" in the box like you were fortunate to get, but everything I ordered is here, working, and I'm happy.

As far as if i got it free, I don't know how to find out until they contact me or they post a list of names. Its killing me too. :D

You didn't win. How do I know?

From the TryForFree page during the sale.

If you are a winner then once your order ships we will notify you that your order is a TryForFree winner and we will provide you with a full refund up to $1,500.00.

This includes shipping and handling charges on both domestic and international orders.

Guest Don Gillespie

If I may ask a simple question, I'm not sure if you mostly use LED's but do you have the same problem with Incandescents? If you use anything less than 30% intensity in sequence editor (30% being the lowest easily visible intensity) the lights get lost in the show? I have a few sequences where in the background there are lights shining on at 20% and dimming to 0 for some effect, and they are barely noticeable, but at 30% it seems just right. At 10% from a distance, the lights look completely off. LED's different story, they all seem to dim "properly" and look much nicer.

I just phoneing every day and asked if I was a winner, they must have just said make him a winner and he will go away, so if I were you I would make a few phone calls and ask for Dan who knows, as for lights I never go below 50% but thats just me, I use mostly LEDs and my arches are incadesandts

You didn't win...

Just my luck.

I just phoneing every day and asked if I was a winner, they must have just said make him a winner and he will go away, so if I were you I would make a few phone calls and ask for Dan who knows, as for lights I never go below 50% but thats just me, I use mostly LEDs and my arches are incadesandts

I'm not sure irritating Dan is a good idea...

My guess is that the incandescents are actually the ones dimming properly, whereas LEDs don't dim quite right always and therefore they may be brighter and more to your liking. Incandescents dim in a fairly linear pattern, whereas it doesn't seem that LEDs always do. When you set an incandescent at 10%, it probably truly is at 10% (hence barely visible), whereas the LED may actually still be emitting about 30% (so brighter). If attaching long LED strings (or multiples in series) you may want to do some reading about snubbers since this helps the smoothness of LED fades.

If I may ask a simple question, I'm not sure if you mostly use LED's but do you have the same problem with Incandescents? If you use anything less than 30% intensity in sequence editor (30% being the lowest easily visible intensity) the lights get lost in the show?

You are assuming that Incan's react linearly to voltage. They do not. The 'curve' of an typical incan is more S shapped.

http://en.wikipedia....#Dimming_curves

He seems ok with it, it didn't hurt me to try and look what i got LOL

It's okay, I'll try a more "nice guy" approach next year... or maybe he will change his mind this year :D

My guess is that the incandescents are actually the ones dimming properly, whereas LEDs don't dim quite right always and therefore they may be brighter and more to your liking. Incandescents dim in a fairly linear pattern, whereas it doesn't seem that LEDs always do. When you set an incandescent at 10%, it probably truly is at 10% (hence barely visible), whereas the LED may actually still be emitting about 30% (so brighter). If attaching long LED strings (or multiples in series) you may want to do some reading about snubbers since this helps the smoothness of LED fades.

This is exactly what I assumed, LED's at 30% power seem to be quite bright, or at-least good brand LED's My home depot and walmart LED's flickered at around 30%...

Either way I love the look of dimmed incandescent lights, I plugged a dimmer into my indoor christmas tree and it looks amazing, I always dim the red and the whites to get a really nice look.

So let me make sure I got this right. I made an order and was charged, but somehow not.

There are 2 main steps to a credit card transaction. Authorize and Capture. When you place an order, the credit card company authorizes the transaction. When the vendor/company ships they 'capture' the funds. When an order is authorized but not captured, the funds are returned to the owners card.

Don't know why your card was declined (since I don't work there, or for the CC company.) Banking is a funny thing. I've seen transactions declined for ZIP codes being wrong, among other items. Who knows what is going on. With all of the outages in the north east today, it might be that the credit card processing company is having issues, and that is affecting some transactions.

Again, don't know what happened here. My suggestion, though, is to reply back to the email, letting them know the card is clear, and that they can put the charge through again.

Got sidetracked.

Since LOR didn't ship your order before the authorization had expired, they would have had to re-authorize the transaction. This is why it looks like your card was charged, "but wasn't"

Would that be "buy more lights" not "but more lights "???

What Don does with his lights in his spare time isn't our business... :)

It may seem silly to hold it for 10+ weeks, but that's how most companies operate; don't charge the order until it ships. I won't capture the funds until I get an order shipped out, and I know most other vendors around here operate the same way.

I couldn't even begin to guess why vendors are giving you excuses this year, nor who is really at fault. (The vendor or their suppliers, not the customer/you.) Sorry to hear that you seem to be having a large number of issues this year though. That is not a fun experience, I'm sure.

If you haven't replied to that email yet, though, I would go ahead and do so.

Our phone system rides on the internet. We have two internet lines coming into the main office. Everything runs off the high speed line including phones, online store access, etc... The other line give us very limited access and not enough for the phones.

We were not hit hard at all here by Sandy. It was a non-event around here but for what ever reason we lost our high speed. I believe that everything will be back on track tomorrow.

We are just about finished with the TryForFree orders. Did take a little longer than expected. For people who paid by CC there can sometimes be issues but not generally. The original approval code will be long gone so we cannot use it but we just re-do the charge and things are generally okay.

As far as the charge/not charge stuff. That has to do with authorizations. When a transaction is made in the store the store will check with the customer's financial institution to see if there are sufficient funds for the transaction. At that point the institution puts a hold on that amount. That way when the charge is actually made, the merchant will be sure that they can be paid. This is why gas pumps will only go to $75 or $100... When you put your card in they place a hold on that amount. Then when you are finished they charge you and the rest of the hold is returned to your account.

Because we do not charge people during the sale the hold stays on the account for a few days (depends on your bank) and then because we did not actually charge anything the hold is released.

Now people paying using PayPal is a different thing. Unlike with Credit Cards there is no way for us to charge them after 21 days. The PayPal transaction expires and is dead. We need to send a PayPal money request out to those customers for the amount of the transaction. So customers will sometime be confused thinking that they had already paid.

-----

This years sale volume pushed us much later than we wanted to be with the TryForFree Orders. One of the issues was that things we never expected to run out of, we did and it took time to get it back in stock. One good example of this is solder kits. We sold many more than expected, and then we had a difficult time getting transformers to make more kits so just this week we have been filling orders that had kits in them.

Like I said we are close to the end on shipping TryForFree over 95% of the orders have shipped.

Dan

Light O Rama, Inc.

ok DAn when abouts will a list of the TryForFree winners be listed or showed and where ?

From the TryForFree Page...

When all orders have been shipped we will publish online, the list of TryForFree winners.

If memory servers, I suspect it would be announced some where on the web site. I'm sure someone, somewhere, will post it here in the forums shortly thereafter.

order arrived and had to pay! i think it should it should say (maybe try for free) lol bummer also got stuck in customs for ages had to pay custom charges, now delivered to late to be used in this years show as still need building. what a shame :(:angry: i suppose thats what happens when you take a recomendation from someone and try something new. that will please the misses not!!