Light-O-Rama Forums

Do not, do NOT, - DO NOT - buy the Whole House Transmitter

TJ Hvasta

WHT here. Just fine for two years now. Of course, it only has to reach the sidewalk in front of my house...About 40 feet away. :P

Did you use the antenna extension?

Well I used the antenna extension. I was able to go all the way from one end of the block to the other total of approximately 6 to 8 houses either way. There was a little static at the end but I found that if I move the antenna up high and kept the transmitter away from the computer it was very acceptable. That was without cutting the antenna as per instructions. I might upgrade for next year, but as it goes, this will work.

Just keep in mind that FCC rules are based on signal level at a given distance. If you can get a clear signal much beyond a couple hundred feet, you're probably getting close to the limit. That's why the "legal" transmitters "suck".

Will you ever see an FCC agent at your door for broadcasting a block or two, not very likely. But we do live in a world that charges homeowners millions of dollars in restitution for accidentally starting a wildfire. I wouldn't want to be the person that jacks my signal way up (via adjustment or antenna enhancements) and causes issues with a medevac helicopter landing or something.

As I previously mentioned in an earlier post, I bought the WHT before this forum happened. Anyways, I was doing some testing on the WHT and didn't seem to bad but why do some songs come in perfectly clear and others a bit choppy? They are all MP3 files.

I had to hook a radio antenna to it cause my son ripped out the antenna wire and extension that goes in to that connector piece which seemed to make it work fine the first time. My only concern with the antenna hook up is that I can go up to a 3/10 of a mile which is 1,584 feet (According to Siri). I'm on country road leading into a village.

I also went to radio-locator.com and the station I'm using isn't listed, so I guess that part is good, right?

Edited by mjdamico23
  • Like 1