Light-O-Rama Forums

Do not, do NOT, - DO NOT - buy the Whole House Transmitter

TJ Hvasta

i have weighed the options and did a bit of research on many transmitters and i find the EDM-LCD-CS-EP 100mW will be my choice ;

it does hav everything including the case and antenna and power source and at $166 with shipping is not bad for pricing

but i will hav to find someone around here who can solder it if it needs it ... i'm not handy with a soldering gun

Edited by greywolf

I used the older Whole House Transmitter for 2 years with no complaints!

Last year I bought an EDM and will use the WHT as a backup.

Most people will only post if they are having problem not post if everything is working fine.

So most searches will show complaints not people that are happy with them.

as you said Paul having the WHT as a back up or having back ups as a rule is good logic of course in this addiction that might be the wrong word :-P LOL

My apologies if it seemed I was using strong-armed tactics on a radio choice, There are just too many posts about the poor performance for "that radio". Somebody starting out does not need to be distraught because of "performance anziety".

And Paul, why buy an EDM as your primary? why not get another WHT? :P

Why buy a EDM instead of another EDM has more frequency options.

But if I was starting out again I would save a few dollars and get the WHT.

Most people will only post if they are having problem not post if everything is working fine.

"people only complain when they have problems" THIS IS TRUE!!!!

I've haven't heard anyone complaining about EDM.

Not that I care who uses what...

I did my research and ended up with EDM and it has been worth every penny.

Well as I said in a different post. About 1 in a hundred (and that is being generous) like the WHT. The other 99 dont care for it. And as someone else pointed out. Flipping the switch behind the labels defeats the FCC acceptance. TJ has no interested in EDM, but he was giving what I would call good advice to newbies.

Guest Don Gillespie

The EDM-as has been stated before "even a caveman can do it"

LOL I believe I said "even a monkey could do that" it is very easy to solder the two pins.

Guest Don Gillespie

I also used the WHT for 1 year in my opinion it sucked thats why I switched to the EDM and will never look back it rocks

• Like 1

Well Don there is not to much difference between a monkey and a caveman, but those of us that have gone with the EDM has reached a higher level in life.

Well as I said in a different post. About 1 in a hundred (and that is being generous) like the WHT. The other 99 dont care for it. And as someone else pointed out. Flipping the switch behind the labels defeats the FCC acceptance. TJ has no interested in EDM, but he was giving what I would call good advice to newbies.

That's what I was wondering about, which made me wonder why LOR would represent themselves as suggesting one do that (post 10), when they say the reason they sell it is because it is type-accepted.

Go figure.

Guest Don Gillespie

Well Don there is not to much difference between a monkey and a caveman, but those of us that have gone with the EDM has reached a higher level in life.

Well said Earle, and I couldn't agree with you more :)

I did my homework, reading here in the forum first before buying and yes, bought an EDM. This will be my first year out but initial testing showed it worked just fine.

I have the EDM and love it. I had to tone it down because with the antenna it was pumping out over a mile. The RDS is really cool to send the info to the cars.

Wow. What timing. I just got done telling my wife I was just going to order the WHT. Figured I better do some research. Glad I did.

Wit the eds there doesn't seem to be much of a website. If I call and order one what model do I tell them I want? For those of you that have them, which ones do you have? Soldering is not an issue.

Thanks

Wow. What timing. I just got done telling my wife I was just going to order the WHT. Figured I better do some research. Glad I did.

Wit the eds there doesn't seem to be much of a website. If I call and order one what model do I tell them I want? For those of you that have them, which ones do you have? Soldering is not an issue.

Thanks

I suspect you'll hear that they are all top quality transmitters. Personally, I have the RDS LCD model and love it. I really enjoy the fact that I can integrate the RDS capability into my show and broadcast song name, artist, etc. to our visitors' radios.

I suspect you'll hear that they are all top quality transmitters. Personally, I have the RDS LCD model and love it. I really enjoy the fact that I can integrate the RDS capability into my show and broadcast song name, artist, etc. to our visitors' radios.

Perhaps a link? I like the idea.

Perhaps a link? I like the idea.

I think he is talking about the edmdesigns models... there is two lower on that page that state they are RDS ENABLED and cost either $220 or $240 w/enclosure.

- Rick

I used RDS for the first time last year and had many comments about it from visitors. I had to test it with my cell phone as I didn't have an RDS enabled system in my car. I was pretty cool to see that it actually worked!