Light-O-Rama Forums

Do not, do NOT, - DO NOT - buy the Whole House Transmitter

TJ Hvasta

There, I think they'll get the idea..

There is no one on this Earth that is happy with this POS radio. Do a search here for "that transmitter" and you will find post after post complaining about how terrible it works. If you only want to hear it inside the room it's in, then by all means, buy it, if you really want something that works, go to www.edmdesign.com or http://www.mobileblackbox.com/ (Model 4000 ONLY, the 6000 is MONO) for your choices. Ramsey, while being a choice also (model 25B (w/no freq display) AND ABOVE, can be finicky.. Lastly, you can look for the China transmitters in the .1 to .5 watt range (NOTHING MORE than 0.5 watts!!), example: ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/250984844235 ) understanding that these are not FCC type-accepted and may cause interference. Keeping them at the lowest power setting is a way to keep it from being picked up by your neighbors electric toothbrush and blessing you with a visit from the guys with no sense of humor, driving around in those large black vans with Govt plates.

EDM.. either RDS, or non-RDS is the best choice hands down..

If there's still any doubt, read the title of this post, again.. and again.. and then, once again.

Edited by TJ Hvasta
  • Like 2

I chose the EDM 3 years back and have been more than happy with the sound quality and range, worth paying that bit more to ensure the sound that we transmit is of high quality and goes the distance we need.

After a certain distance the FM stereo seperation will go and leave you with a mono signal, this is what i consider to be the maximum range, not the range where you start to loose signal as by then the sound quality is pretty poor. Many may say they get x distance range from their transmitter but is it still with high quality stereo reception.

Edited by edvas69

Newbie here...not going to order the whole house transmitter LOR sells. I don't have much in the way of soldering skills, though I guess I'm going to have to learn at some point. The edmdesign site says all of them requiring soldering. So if I'm looking for a fully assembled one, would you go mobileblackbox or the Ebay link you posted?

There was only one piece to solder. It's not difficult at all. just watch some you tube on how to solder. Better yet find a friend to help or maybe the old guy next door. I did 2 controllers and my EDM last year with only one problem and that was dumb me who put the LED backwards. Easy fix and everything worked.

Hey Klayfish -

The EDM has only 2 wires to solder onto the board... they are for the power connection. I'm sure that if you absolutely can't do that, someone you know has more than enough skill to do it. It should take them no more than 5 minutes to set everything up and get it done for you.

D.T.

Most people who buy the Whole House Transmitter are happy with it, especially when they learn to flip the increased power switch and add additional antenna wire. You get a couple hundred feet of good signal. If you're only getting 25' with a Whole House, it's defective and we will replace it.

We can't sell any of the other transmitters because they are not legal for use in the US. Both Mobile Black Box & Ramsey state this.

Is it legal in the US to flip the "increased power" switch? Or is the WHT only legal at the lower power?

Would also seem that just adding "additional" antenna wire is not the best approach, rather, a good properly designed and matched antenna for the desired operating frequency would be the real help. More is not necessarily better when it comes to good transmitter performance.

• Like 1

got the message LOL

i'm looking into alternatives on transmitters ;)

hadn't decided just yet on the one to get

Edited by greywolf

The EDM can't be beat for the price, but I absolutly love my Ramsey FM100B. Just remember, sound is half the show and it's so easy to get right with a little advice.

• Like 1

orion 5000 is stero used one for two years it comes with a out side antina in the kit it is plug and play

Okay, checked the EDM website.....so many choices. Which model to use? Don't need RDS so are the basic LCD Models ($166 w/shipping) stereo and good enough?