Light-O-Rama Forums

Do not, do NOT, - DO NOT - buy the Whole House Transmitter

TJ Hvasta

For me it is EDM all the way, great stereo sound, very easy for this caveman to make and use. :rolleyes:

What kind of stone solder gun did you use to put your EDM together???????? :lol:

• 1 year later...

I don't need a 1 mile coverage. If you cant see he lights, what's the use of transmitting that far. I got the WHT and was skeptical, but it worked fine and the distance was acceptable. I didn't even use the antenna extension.

Ok, service call, your one of those 1 in 100 that are satisfied with the WHT. I have been around for a few years. And I have seen far to many complain about the WHT. And the cons far out weigh the pros.

But Glad it is working for you..

• Like 1

I used the .5 watt china specials last year with great success.  I don't really see why its worth spending an extra hundred on an EDM transmitter when the China specials  work just as well.  The money I save is extra money I can use on pixels...

Ok, service call, your one of those 1 in 100 that are satisfied with the WHT. I have been around for a few years. And I have seen far to many complain about the WHT. And the cons far out weigh the pros.

I agree with  you, bought one and tested it out.  At the end of my driveway it lost signal!  I think I have the worlds shortest driveway at about 30-40ft. I wanted it gone so bad that I sent it back next day air!!  Bought a Failsafe off Amazon and it is wonderful.  Had to figure out a few kinks which I understand are normal, set your audio out on your show system to 25% and the output on the transmitter to 75% for best transmission.  Been a happy camper ever since.

Actually, I bought a WHT and used it my first year without incident.  It worked just fine.  However, after putting it in strorage and pulling it out for the second year, it didn't work so well.  Not sure why. Everything the same as the previous year except it was a year older.  Anyway, I needed a new one and EDM was closed for some reason.. I odered one of the Chinese ones with adjustable power and a built in timer to turn it on and off for the show.  It worked like a champ all last year.   It turns on 10 minutes before my show and 10 minutes after my show.. No dead air all day like before.

So now I have two Chinese Xmtrs and one WHT.. Backup for the backup... so to speak.  I may order an EDM next year just to see the difference.. but boy I like that built in timer.

I didn't catch TJ's advice before I bought a Whole House Transmitter.   My thrill quickly fleeted when I plugged it in.    The WHT sound was weak and filled with static just going 30ft away.   I put it right back in the box and bought an EDM.   My results show that the EDM is a much superior device.     Ethics prevent me from reselling the WHT. 

Max Paul, no disrespect was intended to anyone's comments. I read a lot of the reviews on the WHT (although after my purchase). I even put in a request to the help desk to see if it was returnable without using it. The response I got made me feel like it's not gonna happen. So I gave it a try. Without the extension antenna I was able to receive a signal in my vehicle approx. 200'. In my neighborhood that's fine. I'm gonna try the extension to see how far I get. Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes, just relaying my experience.

I used RDS for the first time last year and had many comments about it from visitors. I had to test it with my cell phone as I didn't have an RDS enabled system in my car. I was pretty cool to see that it actually worked!

What good is it if you don't have an RDS equipped radio (whatever that is). You couldn't hear it with out your cell phone???? I guess I have a lot to learn.

There, I think they'll get the idea.. There is no one on this Earth that is happy with this POS radio. Do a search here for "that transmitter" and you will find post after post complaining about how terrible it works. If you only want to hear it inside the room it's in, then by all means, buy it, if you really want something that works, go to www.edmdesign.com or http://www.mobileblackbox.com/ (Model 4000 ONLY, the 6000 is MONO) for your choices. Ramsey, while being a choice also (model 25B (w/no freq display) AND ABOVE, can be finicky.. Lastly, you can look for the China transmitters in the .1 to .5 watt range (NOTHING MORE than 0.5 watts!!), example: ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/250984844235 ) understanding that these are not FCC type-accepted and may cause interference. Keeping them at the lowest power setting is a way to keep it from being picked up by your neighbors electric toothbrush and blessing you with a visit from the guys with no sense of humor, driving around in those large black vans with Govt plates.EDM.. either RDS, or non-RDS is the best choice hands down..If there's still any doubt, read the title of this post, again.. and again.. and then, once again.

Hmmmmmmmm..............Since this 'memo' wasn't released when I bought everything a few weeks ago, what should I be expecting or not expecting when I test the FM Transmitter that I bought from here. Is it the range? Quality? Something else?

Max Paul, no disrespect was intended to anyone's comments. I read a lot of the reviews on the WHT (although after my purchase). I even put in a request to the help desk to see if it was returnable without using it. The response I got made me feel like it's not gonna happen. So I gave it a try. Without the extension antenna I was able to receive a signal in my vehicle approx. 200'. In my neighborhood that's fine. I'm gonna try the extension to see how far I get. Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes, just relaying my experience.

Was it ticket # 594973?  If so, I did not intend to give you that impression.  My full reply to your question was:

"What was your order number please?

Please be aware that the WHT is legal for use in the USA as supplied, and has the highest output power allowed by law."

When I opened the WHT box this is what I saw, damn I can't paste a pic from iPhone. To paraphrase " Use of the ext. antenna may violate US law and you may get in trouble".

So I did some forum follow up. Saw numerous negative remarks. Submitted a question about return policy. Was informed that this is legal as shipped in company eyes. I thought that was telling me that my excuse was not viable. Thats fine. I ordered it. So i tried it (without the ext. ). It worked fine to me. Im going to try the extension next, I don't think I have to worry about the cops showing up.

I'm new here. I just read what was supplied and was curious.

Edited by service call

Service Call,

No problem, didn't have a problem with your reply. Actually I used you as an example of what I was saying. Your that 1 in 100 that it works for. And I was happy for you, truly.