Light-O-Rama Forums

E1.31 Questions [Beta Released 6/8/12]

LightORamaJohn

Jeff, I just upgraded my license a couple months ago (I wasn't active in the S3 beta cycle and hadn't purchased an upgrade yet). It said I was good through a specfic version number, or at least one year's worth of free upgrades.

So I think the answer to your question will be on a case by case basis depending on when folks last upgraded to S3.

As long as this isn't considered a major feature improvement, you're correct Tim. But I recall the discussion that major revs might have a cost involved. That is what I was interested in finding out.

Jeff

Just to (hopefully) clarify something about this:

The "a year's worth of upgrades" thing is for any version. Doesn't matter if they're major or minor, and it doesn't matter how many of them there are. Even if we release 37 major versions within a year of your purchase, your license is good for all of them.

The "at least six minor versions" thing is just a little bonus to that: You may still be eligible for some minor versions that are released even past a year from your purchase date.

In additinon to E1.31 and DMX in the HU, add support for pixel devices (non-ccrs) in the vis.

There are non-CCR props being shared that work just like a CCR, with RGB on DMX devices. You can import and manipulate to fit your set up and then use the wizard to assign channels. I easily downloaded a 50 channel ribbon and added another 10 channels to match my smart strips.

Scott

I know but assigning channels is a pain

Do you mean assigning channels in the Vis? If so, the wizard will do it pretty quickly, you just pick the first one and it will assign the rest.

be nice if you could explain these universus in STAR TREK language LOL like how many channels is in 1 universe?

be nice if you could explain these universus in STAR TREK language LOL like how many channels is in 1 universe?

A max of 512.

About the Max 999 DMX Universes, I thought Mike said that because of constraints it had been changed to 1000? Just curious....

About the Max 999 DMX Universes, I thought Mike said that because of constraints it had been changed to 1000? Just curious....

Other way around. We had originally speced 1000, but some internal constraints meant we had to change it to 999.

I'm not sure if it's being covered elsewhere, but how are the LOR hardware e1.31 controllers going? I'm not sure if I want to look into other options if this new LOR hardware is going to have better channel/universe support than other 3rd party products?

Are these e1.31 controllers going to be available in time to purchase, test and use this year?

They were meant to be released alongside E1.31 capabilities in the software but to be honest theres been nothing certain and it was only mentioned in passing

Dan himself stated even if the hardware wasnt ready the software will go out. It did. I do not know anything about the 1.31 hardware they have coming out. As most products with LOR in the past, when they go out the growing pains are minimal to none. If your planning on using the 1.31 protocol that the software already has, then start programming. You can assemble controllers in an afternoon, you can assign addresses to a few thousand channels in day. You cant sequence 8 songs with thousands of channels in a week. The longest part of the job is the sequence, worry about that for now. I can make an 8000 channel seuqnce 32 channels within an hour, however I cant make a 32 channel sequence 8000 in a week. Im not sure if Im getting the point across.

Yep understood - the reason I'd like to know is because I'd prefer to be using properly integrated and supported hardware, rather than a 3rd party product that 'should' work.. I guess I should harden up and accept that it's a limitation of our hobby that not everything is cut and dried :)

I'm new and only looking at this RGB and E131 stuff in passing for this year, but from what I have read, there are plenty of products out there that are proven to work with the E131 protocol. As I understand it (and maybe one of the more knowledgable guys will chime in) its a standard protocol, not something proprietary to LOR. Seems like an awful big risk to be waiting on a prodcut that hasn't been released.

For me, everything NOT being cut and dried, and needing to be technically creative is what draws me to this hobby.

Yep understood - the reason I'd like to know is because I'd prefer to be using properly integrated and supported hardware, rather than a 3rd party product that 'should' work.. I guess I should harden up and accept that it's a limitation of our hobby that not everything is cut and dried :)

I'm not sure if it's being covered elsewhere, but how are the LOR hardware e1.31 controllers going? I'm not sure if I want to look into other options if this new LOR hardware is going to have better channel/universe support than other 3rd party products? Are these e1.31 controllers going to be available in time to purchase, test and use this year?

LOR stated in other threads (with a little piecing together) that a E131 to 4 port DMX/LOR device is planned.... how this is going only the LOR management can tell.

E1.31 IS a standard and providing LOR have obeyed the standard any of the existing E131 hardware products will work.... yes i'm brave enough to say will.... people are hedging bets by saying "should".

Any new hardware will not have better channel/universe support than say the J1Sys products that have provided rock solid E131 support for nearly three years.

E1.31 DMX bridges and Pixel Controllers are mature, rock solid products that have now been opened up to the LOR community by LOR's late adoption of E1.31.

The only thing i see the LOR DMX Bridge bringing to the table for LOR users is native support for the LOR protocol over E1.31 and that is only based on the tiny bit of info let out by LOR.....

Certainly see little reason to wait when you already have rock solid choices.

Cheers

Phil

I'm new and only looking at this RGB and E131 stuff in passing for this year, but from what I have read, there are plenty of products out there that are proven to work with the E131 protocol. As I understand it (and maybe one of the more knowledgable guys will chime in) its a standard protocol, not something proprietary to LOR. Seems like an awful big risk to be waiting on a prodcut that hasn't been released.

For me, everything NOT being cut and dried, and needing to be technically creative is what draws me to this hobby.

So standard in fact that it's actually a ANSI standard

ANSI E1.31 - 2009, Entertainment Technology – Lightweight streaming protocol for transport of DMX512 using ACN, describes a way of transporting DMX512-type data over Ethernet using ACN's (ANSI E1.17) Session Data Transport mechanism. The DMX512-type streaming data can be intermixed with random access data and high speed feedback in a flexible and scalable way on a network.

The download document is a PDF 1.6 file, openable with Acrobat Reader 7.0 or later.

Cheers

Phil