Light-O-Rama Forums

E1.31 Questions [Beta Released 6/8/12]

LightORamaJohn

jstjohnz wrote:

On the topic of network congestion due to E1.31 traffic. The theoretical saturation point for multicast e1.31 on a 100mb network is about 350 universes. So a 2,000 pixel display would use up about 4% of your network capacity.

The network isn't the issue, per se. The devices burning up countless CPU cycles discarding most of what they inspect is. I ran just under 64 universes last year and things went well, but I've spoken with owners of MicroChip-based implementations above 70U which had issues. Art-Net tends to be the better option at this scale if UniCast e1.31 cannot be used.

Fabian

As an aside - hi Fabian

Re network E131 traffic, i just ran some actually tests to check using software and tools at hand so don't yell that it's not LOR, the data figures will be similiar with the same parameters.

Parameters: Vixen, 25ms timing, 7744 channels out over E131, completely random pattern with data changes in all cells every 25ms, about as intense as you will ever see.

Data Rates: i seen a peek of 390,000 Bytes/sec, multiply by 8 and we get approx 3.2Mbs of network traffic. Now some back of the envelope calcs say 50% util of a 100Mbs network would be around 115,000 channels.

As Fabian said the microprocessors will struggle with the multicast traffic well before you run into network bandwidth issues.

I personally ran my E131 network seperate to my home network last year but only because it was easy to do and i did use Unicast, but this year even with a predicted channel count around 20k to 30k i will be going back to multicast and plan to at a future date install a IGMP capable switch and trust the controllers get igmp support in the future.

Phil

I am still hoping for an open beta test by all users with an advanced license. :P

I guess we will see.

Jeff Millard wrote:

wbottomley wrote:
Let's see what happens Friday.

:cool:

Which Friday?

My brain just fried reading though this post...guess my little 1100+ channels seems so inadequate.

Kevin

dougd wrote:

I am still hoping for an open beta test by all users with an advanced license. :)

I guess we will see.

Unfortunately that would turn into a disaster. There are protocols that Beta testers have to go through in reporting and so forth that are reported in a section out of site of the public eye here on the board. If everyone started doing this and posting out in public many items / complaints would possibly get lost in the general everyday discussions and then the LOR staff would get overloaded by a large influx of user input. As it stands now there are limited numbers of people doing it so in return it is easier for LOR to track problems and correct. I understand your thought process but it could easily turn into a large nightmare in the follow up of bug reporting.

So far I am really impressed with the changes. Obviously LOR was going to make things work but the easy of how you set up your networks really stands out to me.

I am certainly going to run this through its paces this weekend and see how it does!

As of right now, nothing unusual for a beta. Couple of bugs that were fixed, and some of the testers are waiting for a new version to re-test those bugs.

Other than that, it's been pretty light. The testers who have E1.31 hardware report that it does blink and flash :)

Of course, it's only been a few days so we need to give it time. I foresee at least 1 more beta release, possibly more.

To LOR Team - Any chance to get an advanced copy of any documention that exists? Sort of a Beta copy of the document? Just to give us some idea of set up, and new features? This will give us a jump on things. THanks.

Beefer wrote:

very curious to see how S3 handles 100's of RGB channels? How's it looking beta testers?

I would answer that but then I would have to achmed.png

So as they tell us Beta Testers

Achmed-I-Kill-You.gif

Thanks Mike, this would go a long way to reducing the learning curve and give us some insight about how it is being implemented.

Attached is the documentation for the new Network Configuration program.

Please note that this documentation is provided AS-IS. Since this is the working copy, there could be comments and other notes inside.

The download is a ZIP that contains a Word 2003 document. Sorry, if you don't know how to decompress a file or don't have Word 2003, you'll have to wait for the official release.

Since this is not released yet, there could be functionality described that does not make it to the production release. We could also change the functionality at any time before release.

In other words: Read it if you can, but don't blame us if things change.

Attached files Network Config User Documentation With Pics (2).zip