Light-O-Rama Forums

E1.31 Questions [Beta Released 6/8/12]

LightORamaJohn

Mike, thanks for posting the documentation I really appreciate it.

Jeff, I understand the network set up (for the most part)and appreciate your input. I thought there may be addional info in the documention to clarify a few more things, which prompts me to ask a few questions:

1. Are the network speeds "Slower" - "Average" - "Faster" still 19,200, 57,600 & 115,200 kb/s, as before? My Assumption is yes.

2. DMX needs a 256K data speed to function properly. A busy sequence drops data even in the "Simple" mode of one Universe. Is anything being done in this area?

3. What is the data rate for E1.31? Is the bottleneck still the values above? You have to get from the LAN port to a switch typically. After the switch will not be the problem, the data getting to that switch is what concerns me.

I know LOR says this will grow over time, and I do appreciate the data because it helps at least me to make decisions. A not so uncommon E1.31 configuration for this year will be 4 universes. I will need 16. Even at 4, with any sort of rapid action in a sequence, how much data is going to be dropped? I know that is hard to determine.

I guess I was wondering what was being done to manage the data explosion (channel counts) and the speeds required to functionally run them.

Or, have I completely missed the "DOH slap on forehead" moment.

zman wrote:

Mike, thanks for posting the documentation I really appreciate it.

Jeff, I understand the network set up (for the most part)and appreciate your input. I thought there may be addional info in the documention to clarify a few more things, which prompts me to ask a few questions:

1. Are the network speeds "Slower" - "Average" - "Faster" still 19,200, 57,600 & 115,200 kb/s, as before? My Assumption is yes.

2. DMX needs a 256K data speed to function properly. A busy sequence drops data even in the "Simple" mode of one Universe. Is anything being done in this area?

3. What is the data rate for E1.31? Is the bottleneck still the values above? You have to get from the LAN port to a switch typically. After the switch will not be the problem, the data getting to that switch is what concerns me.

I know LOR says this will grow over time, and I do appreciate the data because it helps at least me to make decisions. A not so uncommon E1.31 configuration for this year will be 4 universes. I will need 16. Even at 4, with any sort of rapid action in a sequence, how much data is going to be dropped? I know that is hard to determine.

I guess I was wondering what was being done to manage the data explosion (channel counts) and the speeds required to functionally run them.

Or, have I completely missed the "DOH slap on forehead" moment.

OK so I slapped my own forehead and it was past the hour to allow me to edit my post. The Superspeed data was not mentioned in the documentation and it took me a while to realize the nagging feeling in the back of my brain that I did miss something. There was mentioned that it would be released with E1.31. Is that still the plan? I went back and checked and it only mentioned something about 300 pixels. How does that relate to the data rate? Is this a hardware or software component?

Sense my LED's are not going to be in anytime soon. My 1st of july show is x'ed I just purchased a ton of pixels from ray, making my own Floods and adding my DJ equipment to my shows. Running DMX, LOR and e131 all at the same time. Few months back I ordered 12 CCR's So there will be so many different things running off of lor I bet it will test the limits of LOR. LOL. Bring on the new software. Cant wait to see e131 soon. Running off a quad core, 4gb memory pc. I set up the DMX tail off of the second dongle that I ordered from LOR. Started to run the tri color led ball, the moving heads, scanners and green laser.

TGabriel wrote:

The beta testers have had it for six days now. What the word on it?

Thomas

Overall things are going well. There have been a few issues uncovered. I do not believe that there were any issues found with the actual E1.31 data transmission. All issues have been corrected. The corrected code will be released tomorrow for verification of the changes.

Dan

mel wrote:

So no doubt then you must be one!! Now I know who to ask for help with the new pixel craze that's going on!! :)

Wouldn't go that far. I have pixels yes, I will be using a lot of different hardware with Light O Rama this year. As for a pro I am not. I'm willing to help anyone but as Jeff stated there are a few who stand out, and a few that offer nothing. My advice will fill one of those categories, which one is up to the person listening at that time. Jeff is a great person to figure things out, KLB, Steven, BobO, William, the list goes on of the pros that are here. Once they are on track, they usually share whats going on and at that time the questions start getting answered very quickly. I was here when S3 was coming out and it happened just that way. The BETA came out, and those involved went silent till they were done cleaning things up. S3 came out and those involved started answering questions. As Jeff said there were issues that came up that lost the titles, but not to their faults in my opinion.

So back to watching to see what happens next!

Beta 2 is simply the second build of the beta that was released to the beta testers on 6/8. It has bug fixes in it for errors the testers found.

Depending on the type and quantity of bugs found in this second beta, we'll decide later if we need Beta 3. This is a typical test/release schedule. We release, they test, we fix, we release, they test....

Some seq are extremely large. I have locked up se many times trying to load and paste clipboards. Each 1/10 has a command. And there are no ramps. Instead steps down or up for each frame.

From my phone

Jim Saul wrote:

Thanks Beta Teststers, thanks mike

+1 I am really lookin forward to when this makes it to us mortals :(

Hey Dan any chance E1.31 be showing up at the same time the new form is up and running?

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

The New Fourm is here and I hope I'm not out of line and don't get my head chewed off to much but I thought since it been about 2 week I would ask for an update on what is happening with S3 and e1.31

Cheers

Rich

I've not had much fun with wireless bridges, even after applying the vendor's firmware updates - I've always gone to the trouble of laying a CAT6 cable between networks instead! and occasionally it's meant cutting holes in ceilings.....

That's good news about the stability of beta2 - so can anyone spill the beans about the new LOR hardware to support E1.31 or is that pushing the relationship? :P

Today is the 29th of June, one more day left in June and we will start the 2nd half of the year on Sunday.

Thomas

• Like 1

Is the beta test of only the software support of e1.31 using the computer ethernet port or are there also users that are currently testing the "LOR E1.31 4-port gateway" as well?

Will the LOR controllers also be updated to accept e1.31 signals, or will we have to use the 4-port gateway as a 'translator'?

Am I correct in assuming that that each LOR gateway would be limited to 2040 total channels since it at most supports (4) DMX ports? (therefore if i were to plan to have more than 2040 LOR channels would I need to have more than 1 gateway? And if that is the case, would multiple gateways be supported off of one router?

When is the gateway planing on launching?

The reason I am asking, is that I am currently preparing for dropping some cat6 lines , and I need to know if I only need to drop one (1) line or if I should drop multiple lines. (Which I'm pretty sure everyone will tell me drop as many as you resonably can, but I also don't want to have six unused ethernet lines hanging around)

My original plan was to drop one (1) ethernet line for each possible DMX universe (this was before I learned about e1.31).

But now it looks like I might need quite a bit less.

Thanks

Edited by Crazydave

Take a look at this thread in which DevMike does a fairly good job of desribing the various protocols.

Basically LOR/DMX protocols do not run on the same wires as E1.31. As you said, you use a gateway to go from E1.31 (normal ethernet) to LOR or DMX (RS-485) signals.