Light-O-Rama Forums

E1.31 Questions [Beta Released 6/8/12]

LightORamaJohn

So for now, I should plan on one (1) ethernet line for e1.31 and seperate lines for each LOR network?

Yes, the ethernet is just a standard network so you can split it with a switch (hub) in your yard. The LOR networks (and any standard DMX networks) will have to be home-run back to the computer.

Im running it with no issues at all. I had a few minor hiccups at first. Running a grand total of 3636 channels on my current testing my packet loss according to my controllers has been less than 2%. In the grand scheme of things over 100k packets over a few sequences I cant see the lost ones in the pixels. I ran these like Jeff with my 2 normal controllers on a standard LOR network USB485. Once again no issues at all. The network is setup from my router, to a 8 port switch, then 2 E681 controllers for the pixels. I have a 3rd controller now thanks to WBottomly which will be tested soon as well. Good running for now, I dont know when they will release will be but so far Im making it work pretty hard.

Im running it with no issues at all. I had a few minor hiccups at first. Running a grand total of 3636 channels on my current testing my packet loss according to my controllers has been less than 2%. In the grand scheme of things over 100k packets over a few sequences I cant see the lost ones in the pixels. I ran these like Jeff with my 2 normal controllers on a standard LOR network USB485. Once again no issues at all. The network is setup from my router, to a 8 port switch, then 2 E681 controllers for the pixels. I have a 3rd controller now thanks to WBottomly which will be tested soon as well. Good running for now, I dont know when they will release will be but so far Im making it work pretty hard.

That's very encouraging. How are you testing packet loss?

• Like 1

That's very encouraging. How are you testing packet loss?

The E1.31 frames are tagged with sequence numbers. At least the E681 reports on how many sequence numbers it does not recieve, out of the time it was running.

The E681 has a reporting page, although you manually have to update it,it keeps track. Remember on DMX its changing the commands to the pixel strings 40+ times per second. If a packet is lost on a change, its so fast you cant see it. If it were to hang up that would be a different issue altogether. The amount Im losing is super low and should be of no concern at all. I only posted that as some the older DMX guys know there can be packet loss. The fact its so small means everything between the 2 are working amazingly. When I load up the 3rd card, Im going to bog it down with a Nutcracker sequence to see what it does.

Edited by GoofyGuy

Ah yes, I forgot about that. Once I set it up, and got things working, I haven't been back into the config screen.

What software Level will be needed for E1.31 support?

DMX support (without an iDMX) currently requires an advanced license. I would expect this to remain true with E1.31.

We dont know this yet, Dan would be the answer to the question of what will work. Im with Tim, Advanced seems the most logical route.

Here's a question that came up in an email conversation I was having and I thought I'd ask and see what the response is...

Will E1.31 be released as a simple update, or will there be an upgrade cost involved to have access to it for those who already have Advinced Licenses?

Jeff

Jeff, I just upgraded my license a couple months ago (I wasn't active in the S3 beta cycle and hadn't purchased an upgrade yet). It said I was good through a specfic version number, or at least one year's worth of free upgrades.

So I think the answer to your question will be on a case by case basis depending on when folks last upgraded to S3.

I see. Not sure about that, hopefully Dan, John, or someone will chime in.

well it might have been stupid on my part but i just upgraded to advanced just for the e1.31

Well the new form is up and running and I'll admit I like it much better than the old.

Thank Dan & Company

Now to the big question:

When will we be seeing the release of E1.31?

Thomas

would be gret to get a update on the release date and how things are going.

The standard answer is 'Soon'. The other answer is 'Well'.

dear light o ramma would it help if we begged

No.

:PB):lol:

• Like 1

Like 'soon' enough that I can buy some RGB strings and E1.31 controllers today , and by the time they are arrive an S3 update will support my new toys ?

next question...I just upgraded my license to advanced..... will this cover the E1.31 support?

Edited by Crazydave