Light-O-Rama Forums

What's The Difference?

Guest Guest

I know the damage has been already done by email what I ment was the more people see it the more damage it creats

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TitusCarnathan

• scubado

• Donny M. Carter

• Don

I am posting this in a number of threads as they all have to do with the same thing.

The new posting rules are not all that restrictive. They only ask that people treat one another with respect. That it is not appropriate to call someone an idiot, or say they must be blind if they did not see in in the manual, or that they are stupid if they did not understand something.

Some people may say it is just a person's sense of humor but it is not funny to call someone stupid or an idiot!

As far as people asking questions that have already been answered in manuals or in the forums, that is going to happen and will continue.

I would like to keep this forum focused on decorating and keep extremely volatile subjects such as politics and religion out of the discussions. Yes Christmas is a religious holiday and to ignore that would be silly. You will notice we did not have Happy Holidays on our main website we had Merry Christmas so we are not all that Politically Correct around here. I am not overly concerned about religion in threads but I am concerned about politics.

As far as government there are also times with it can and should be brought into discussions such as zoning rules with regards to decorating, etc. BUT this is not the place to attack or advance any political party or political fraction.

As is says in the coffee shop this is a forum to discuss decorating not the time of day. We have allowed people to have fun and will continue to do so but the thing that all people in this forum have in common is decorating and thus the topics should reflect that.

We made some changes such as removing the edit function on posts as I wanted people to think twice before they post. I removed the beta tester designation on users for a while. This is partly because of the fact that some people have accused me of allowing employees of LOR to treat customers poorly. Those people do not understand that the Beta Testers are also LOR customers. This will get fixed.

Members of all levels, (members, beta testers, partners, admins... ) have been accused of being being harsh with customers but the complaints that I have personally received have (members and beta testers) mentioned most often.

For those that are upset about this, here is what I am asking:

1. We start fresh starting now. No history, no mention of past deeds be those deeds be real or misunderstood.

2. We treat each other with respect. No more (stupid, blind, idiot, etc... ) comments.

3. (like #1) No Member, LOR Admin or moderator treat any thread based on any thread or post prior to now. Each post is judged on its own content.

----

This is simple and it is fair. We are starting fresh today. We are starting with no previous context. There is nothing to argue about, nothing to disagree about, no history.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath, decide that if what they really want is either to help people or get help with LOR and/or help decorating. This is a place where that should happen.

What is done is done and it restarts now.

T110431 wrote:

its not the fact that newbies cant come over to the other forums its the fact that some people think they can buy a controller and some do before checking into things

they stick the controller outside plug lights in and clap their hands and the lights go blinky twinkly blinky so then they argue with us because its not that simple and they say they are being bullied because they did not find out before they sunk their money into this
then when we try to tell them the facts

Oh you are bulling me I did not know that you had to program these controllers or I did not know that you could not use speaker wire as an extension cord

As the hobby becomes more known Lor will get more customers out of every so many customers you will get hot heads or instantly unpleased angry customers thats life

Punishing us beta testers and us members in general will not solve anything

Also what is funny the person that complained on lightoramasucks.info gave a 5 star review on another website and on this message board I checked his account and he was not bullied in any of the messages I could find

Also another complaint I found said that Beta testers Partners and its members are allowed to bully so its just not us bad ole beta testers

But if lor is going to punish us for helping people out becuause a few people are mad well than the hell with helping people

You beta testors are definately quicker at discovering these people out, or they PM more than they post so that the rest of us don't see what's been going on with some of these folk. If we had a webpage for newbies as mentioned earlier, we could just keep referring them back to the page until they ask a more legit question.

One big problem as I see it, if someone posts a question or comment that was maybe worked wrong or maybe intentional, one person will correct them or admonish them for it and the OP will either try to correct himself or stand by what he said and then everyone piles in on it and suddenly we have a game of Smear the Queer( the game, not being sexist or whatever, just trying to make a point).

I'll probably get some grief for this and hopefully this comes across as I intend it, but I'll use Orv as an example. He's been piled on several times, maybe deserved, maybe not. Some think he can be long winded, so what, that's the way Orv is, he tries to be thorough in what he says. Either accept him for who he is or ignore him. Sometimes we all have to learn the hard way, myself included. But there's also more than one way to do the same thing and sharing different thoughts can lead to a better idea or conclusion.

I do understand how the Beta Testors feel with some of the repeated questions. Some times I just give them a general area to look instead of a specific link, make em search for their answer.

Hopefully I worded this right since I won't be able to edit it.

scubado wrote:

T110431 wrote:
its not the fact that newbies cant come over to the other forums its the fact that some people think they can buy a controller and some do before checking into things

they stick the controller outside plug lights in and clap their hands and the lights go blinky twinkly blinky so then they argue with us because its not that simple and they say they are being bullied because they did not find out before they sunk their money into this

Oh you are bulling me I did not know that you had to program these controllers or I did not know that you could not use speaker wire as an extension cord

As the hobby becomes more known Lor will get more customers out of every so many customers you will get hot heads or instantly unpleased angry customers thats life

Also what is funny the person that complained on lightoramasucks.info gave a 5 star review on another website and on this message board I checked his account and he was not bullied in any of the messages I could find

Also another complaint I found said that Beta testers Partners and its members are allowed to bully so its just not us bad ole beta testers

But if lor is going to punish us for helping people out becuause a few people are mad well than the hell with helping people

You beta testors are definately quicker at discovering these people out, or they PM more than they post so that the rest of us don't see what's been going on with some of these folk. If we had a webpage for newbies as mentioned earlier, we could just keep referring them back to the page until they ask a more legit question.

One big problem as I see it, if someone posts a question or comment that was maybe worked wrong or maybe intentional, one person will correct them or admonish them for it and the OP will either try to correct himself or stand by what he said and then everyone piles in on it and suddenly we have a game of Smear the Queer( the game, not being sexist or whatever, just trying to make a point).

I'll probably get some grief for this and hopefully this comes across as I intend it, but I'll use Orv as an example. He's been piled on several times, maybe deserved, maybe not. Some think he can be long winded, so what, that's the way Orv is, he tries to be thorough in what he says. Either accept him for who he is or ignore him. Sometimes we all have to learn the hard way, myself included. But there's also more than one way to do the same thing and sharing different thoughts can lead to a better idea or conclusion.

I do understand how the Beta Testors feel with some of the repeated questions. Some times I just give them a general area to look instead of a specific link, make em search for their answer.

Please note... we are talking about the past here (although the past was the present when the poster started the post) :)

No one is being punished, no one has been removed from the forums, no warning, etc... we are all starting fresh, the past is the past.

Dan

scubado wrote:

T110431 wrote:

No grief from me. :D

And Yes the Beta folks usually do, but as Dan has said, what's over and done with is done. And it's time to start fresh and I agree completely.

Now I'll be the first to admit to being long-winded (a lot more than I like believe it or not), but it comes from having worked with folks where I had to go into explicit detail on how to do a job.

I've written a few manuals from time to time and I always had to try and make them so simple that a child could understand what needed to be done.

After doing this for close to over 30 years(over 40 years in the electro-mechanical field), it's kind of difficult to "break that habit" of over-simplifying things, which sometimes doesn't always get interpreted as intended.

Even when I wrote these "manuals for dummies" so to speak, folks still had to be given verbose, or shown explicit examples, why? Because some folks learn by feel, touch or working examples, and not all manuals are able to, or supply that kind of detail, and even if they do, sometimes it takes some hand-holding to get a person through it or to completely understand it. And that's how we should look at any request here for help from anyone old, new or otherwise.

These email notifications I've been hearing about... I get email notifications but it doesn't ever include what the person said, just says someone wrote something new, click here to go there.

l0chte wrote:

These email notifications I've been hearing about... I get email notifications but it doesn't ever include what the person said, just says someone wrote something new, click here to go there.

under your prefences you see a page that says about notifications? there will be a check box next to each forum that you want to recieve emails about

l0chte wrote:

Here's a copy of what I receive and EXACTLY how I receive it. This was delivered to my inbox from this very thread:

If I click the link in this e-mail version it opens a new tab in I.E. and opens a posting box to post a resply in.

Sometimes I also get 2 versions, one like you see in your example and also like the one below that the poster had posted.

[align=center]{Copied and Pasted directly from my E-mail Inbox}[/align]
[align=left]===========================================================================
The Coffee Shop > What's The Difference?
===========================================================================

Date: 2012-01-09 17:11:58
Reply: http://forums.lightorama.com/reply.php?topic_id=31858

l0chte wrote: These email notifications I've been hearing about... I get email notifications but it doesn't ever include what the person said, just says someone wrote something new, click here to go there.

under your prefences you see a page that says about notifications? there will be a check box next to each forum that you want to recieve emails about [/align]

I'm getting it too.

If i remember correctly...it use to have the posting with the text (reply).

Sorry for chimming in so late but i try to read and follow before i open my mouth.

I think you guys have great ideas and i hope LOR uses some of them going forward. It might suck for me being a newbie only to see newbie section but i like the beginner, intermediate, and Advanced. I'd like to add that you could see the higher posting but not be able to post. the only problem i see with that would be mutli post started on the same topics just in different areas.