Light-O-Rama Forums

What's The Difference?

Guest Guest

Champion Sound Entertainment wrote:

T110431 wrote:
these are the people that normally use LOR one year and then sell their equipment

Please point them in my direction. I need more controllers on the cheap! :cool:

and to me if they're from 240 volt countries. :):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TitusCarnathan

• scubado

• Donny M. Carter

• Don

scubado wrote:

How about we turn this thread around and offer up some suggestions on how to improve the mess this forum is in?

Here's my suggestion: Newbies can visit anywhere on the forum to learn, but can only post in the newbie section. The veterans can help or ignore the newbie section and scrictly LOR related. Once they reach posting say 50 posts then the rest of the forum will be opened to them upon review of their posts so they can't cheat their way in. Hopefully by this time they will know more of what's expected of them.

Interesting, would PM's be a graduated system too?

Wake me when we get the edit button back.

Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain and it is quite frankly, embarrassing some times.

Plasmadrive

friskybri wrote:

REally we cant edit our posts that sounds childish of LOR. Just saying.

(Cross posted from the "Put on a Helmet Thread")

I'm almost certain why Dan has disabled the edit buttons, this is so he can track any message once it has been submitted and can't be changed. After all, new messages many times after you hit submit/reply or whatever the button is, folks get them in their in-box.

And if you think about it, the original message that ends up in ones e-mail inbox, may not be the same message on the forum because it has been edited and that content is now removed, but the damage has been done as it has already been delivered to someones e-mail account.

So I'd say Dan has disabled the edit functions so that he can verify that what was originally sent from the forum, was actually sent from the forum and nither the OP had edited the content or the end user at the e-mail end didn't hack or change the message, as these edited posts never get sent out, only the first time submission does, so whatever is in it, is what goes out to someones e-mail account.

And since that could cause issues by what was said, but then the OP after re-reading it AFTER submitting it, thinks about it and now changes the entire post to something it originally wasn't. So for Dan to know what is leaving the forum and not being changed, the edit functions are now disabled, this way if he(Dan) gets sent a copy of the e-mail message, he can check the forum and see for certain, yes, that's exactly what was sent.

And I'll bet that's why the edit functions won't be re-enabled anytime soon.

It's just another way for Dan to track anyone that he/LOR feels are violatiing the rules.

I had to think about this for a while, but I'm almost 100% positive this is why the edit functions no longer function here.

I have another suggestion. Maybe have a newbie friendly webpage that clearly states that this is not a plug and play hobby, that computer and electrical skills are needed. Link to download the software, the manual, help files and videos etc... If we feel someone hasn't taken the time to go through this page, link them back to it.

I'm sure admin is watching this thread, I have another idea that's off topic. How about a Topic area for the wishlist. This way if someone has a great idea we can discuss it tweak the idea and maybe poll ideas.

For any newbies that might be reading this, We DO enjoy helping you. Since Halloween there has been a huge increase in membership. Some have taken the time to poke around the forum first before posting, others seem to have no clue what they are stepping into. Or ask a question that's identical to another thread already in progress. This is one of the things that's fustrating to the forum. Sometimes politics and/or religion get thrown in and usually goes downhill from there. We do have a lot of fun and laughs on the forum as well. So please bear with us as things get ironed out and settled down.

This is just my own opinion and thoughts. Welcome aboard and we hope you learn, enjoy and share in this hobby/addiction.

scubado wrote:

I have another suggestion. Maybe have a newbie friendly webpage that clearly states that this is not a plug and play hobby, that computer and electrical skills are needed. Link to download the software, the manual, help files and videos etc... If we feel someone hasn't taken the time to go through this page, link them back to it.

I'm sure admin is watching this thread, I have another idea that's off topic. How about a Topic area for the wishlist. This way if someone has a great idea we can discuss it tweak the idea and maybe poll ideas.

Scubado, I like your way of thinking! +100!

I think those are excellent suggestions that could be implemented here. That way when a person comes into this hobby they know what to expect eitther before or after the purchase of the software,controllers, etc.

Those are excellent points and I fully agree with you.

Now the rub is, those that seem to not the have time to read manuals or anything else, may try to skip by those areas. Make them a required reading and then some kind of 5 or 10 question test to show the person actually *did read* those pages before they could move on into those areas where the real knowledgable folks are like George Simmons, Jeff Millard, Don in Florida, and many others here.

For example if the test were 5 questions as long as they got 3 of 5 correct or 7 of 10, depending on the number, they could move on to the next level of the forum.

Instead of Newbies, maybe break the forum down in this manner:

Beginners (some folks just don't like the term "Newbie" or "Noob".)

Intermediate (for folks that have been in the hobby less than 5 years.)

Advanced (for those having 5 or more years of experience.)

Beginners could not access Intermediate, Intermediate could not access Advanced (or Experts, if you prefer), but the those levels past Beginners could read the lower levels and respond if they so desired.

Now that could take some doing in the revamp of the forums from the way it's set up now, and not sure Dan wants to put that much work into revamping the forums like that. But it could possibly work, some other forums I'm on are set up similar and work like that. They want to make sure you're serious about whatever that criteria for that forum would be, wether Hardware, Software or something completely different.

Just another thought process, nothing more, nothing less.

scubado wrote:

For any newbies that might be reading this, We DO enjoy helping you. Since Halloween there has been a huge increase in membership. Some have taken the time to poke around the forum first before posting, others seem to have no clue what they are stepping into. Or ask a question that's identical to another thread already in progress. This is one of the things that's fustrating to the forum. Sometimes politics and/or religion get thrown in and usually goes downhill from there. We do have a lot of fun and laughs on the forum as well. So please bear with us as things get ironed out and settled down.

This is just my own opinion and thoughts. Welcome aboard and we hope you learn, enjoy and share in this hobby/addiction.

Agreed! My sentiments exactly!

I thought about the test idea too, don't know how feasible it is. But if everyone is pointing them to the newbie webpage, hopefully they'll get the hint or move on to another hobby.

Orville wrote:

Just another thought process, nothing more, nothing less.

Discussing ideas is great. Keep them coming. I am not a fan of testing within the forum. But I get your point of having credentials.

its not the fact that newbies cant come over to the other forums its the fact that some people think they can buy a controller and some do before checking into things

they stick the controller outside plug lights in and clap their hands and the lights go blinky twinkly blinky so then they argue with us because its not that simple and they say they are being bullied because they did not find out before they sunk their money into this
then when we try to tell them the facts

Oh you are bulling me I did not know that you had to program these controllers or I did not know that you could not use speaker wire as an extension cord

As the hobby becomes more known Lor will get more customers out of every so many customers you will get hot heads or instantly unpleased angry customers thats life

Punishing us beta testers and us members in general will not solve anything

Also what is funny the person that complained on lightoramasucks.info gave a 5 star review on another website and on this message board I checked his account and he was not bullied in any of the messages I could find

Also another complaint I found said that Beta testers Partners and its members are allowed to bully so its just not us bad ole beta testers

But if lor is going to punish us for helping people out becuause a few people are mad well than the hell with helping people

you see this is why we need the edit button There is errors in my last post but they took the edit button away

and orville I am perty sure the admins have a log of all the changes all especially since you can get emails of all post so I dont think that is the reason for the edit button going by by

the first paragraphs is what people think in my last post

Guest wbottomley

Titus... they can kick me to the curb for all I care. Doesn't matter or stop what I'm doing.

I have yet to post one problem I had this year or even open a support ticket.

I am just wondering if they would kick us long time users just to please some pist off customer that was probabliy pist off from the begining becaue of the controller shortage
which If I remember us bad ole beta testers and regular members defended dan and his company when it came to the controller shortage because there was people we calmed down that probably would have cancled their orders otherwise

Guest Don Gillespie

T110431 wrote:

I am just wondering if they would kick us long time users just to please some pist off customer that was probabliy pist off from the begining becaue of the controller shortage
which If I remember us bad ole beta testers and regular members defended dan and his company when it came to the controller shortage because there was people we calmed down that probably would have cancled their orders otherwise

+100 :P

Champion Sound Entertainment wrote:

T110431 wrote:
these are the people that normally use LOR one year and then sell their equipment

Please point them in my direction. I need more controllers on the cheap! :cool:

Most of the time they are sold on ebay to buyers with no clue what to do with them for more then they cost new.

I am considering posting some of my 30 controllers for sale since I have a smaller yard now and don't need them all anymore, plus I'm going to be using even more RGB pixels and DMX in my display.

T110431 wrote:

you see this is why we need the edit button There is errors in my last post but they took the edit button away

and orville I am perty sure the admins have a log of all the changes all especially since you can get emails of all post so I dont think that is the reason for the edit button going by by

In reference to what I bolded in your response.

Actually that's not true. I manage two forums myself elsewhere and when a user edits an original post, I have no record of what the original text was in the message, the log file only shows the post had been edited, by whom and the time/date of the edit. Nothing more and nothing less. And the changed post is what appears on the forum pages, the original post is now long deleted and gone, no way to recover it unless the forum had been backed up before the edit took place, which in the case of the LOR forums, having a 1 hour limit from the time of the initial post when it was available, is very doubtful.

So yes, I'm sure that is why the edit buttons have been disabled, as stated, the original post gets sent, EDITED POSTS DO NOT get sent. So by disabling the edit options, the original message can not be changed, so Dan can verify what was said initially and originally that was sent and can no longer be changed on the forum. That would be the only way to track any offensive/bullying messages would be to turn off the edit functions of the forum.

You really have had to run a forum, or know how the forum software functions to actually understand how it works, it's not as easy as many folks think it is.

There needs to be Truce on this forum. I think we need to start out here fresh. There are many on here that are really pissed off. Personally I’m tired of spending days on the B.S in this forum. I would rather be looking at (how to) posts. What I propose going forward. When someone asks how to do something even as basic as how do you dim a channel refer them to the page number in the manual. After that if they still don’t know then maybe they need some help. When you get a reply that says I don’t have the time to read that. Then they are a lost cause and move on. If they ask how do I make a mini tree. Do a quick search in the forum for the person. I know there are many topics out there on it. Link it to it in your reply and tell them how to search in the forum. If they keep the gemmy gemmy gemmy, then just ignore them. Some people might not get it at this point.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
I’m not a beta tester, but would love to be. hint hint. LOL. I do think the beta testers are great assets to the forum. They have helped me in more ways then I can think of. I value their skills. I think from their point of view, there are to many new people came on the forum in October and November and wanted their displays to have the WOW factor now. Not knowing it takes a good 6 months or more to program a great show. Some new people not listening to some of the beta testers. On the other had with the funny smart ass remarks back to people that probably deserved more might have made many new people uncomfortable to even ask some questions. I can see if I was new and saw some of the remarks I might be afraid to post. Maybe some got out of hand. Now I ‘m also not saying we sit here and sing Kum by ya my Lord, kum by ya . I do think we are all giving Dan some health problems because of this forum.
I know if this was my company I would be probably in the hospital from all of this.
Now to LOR. I do believe we need the edit button back plus work on a spell checker because I suck at spelling. I also wish there was a forum for wish lists. I would like to hear what other people are wanting in the software. One of mine is when I copy from one channel and want it to a group that is one line. It should copy to all the channels and not the first one. If I wanted it to go to the first channel I would open the group and copy to just that. I think there needs to be a forum of HOW TO’s
Example: MEGA TREE - all threads that have been discussed before get put in here
Mini Tree’s - All threads that have been discussed before get put in here.
I’m no expert but this might help the repeating of questions that get asked year to year. Have a section that says look here before asking. Just a suggestion.
I also believe because of the shortage of product has created some anger on here. People wanting to get some controllers, the ccb’s or ccf’s not coming out this year. I have seen the LOR meltdowns of the past and there has been nothing like this before.

So I am clearing out my ignore list and start over fresh. Even though it only had one. Semper Fi Brian

Orville wrote:

T110431 wrote:

In reference to what I bolded in your response.

Actually that's not true. I manage two forums myself elsewhere and when a user edits an original post, I have no record of what the original text was in the message, the log file only shows the post had been edited, by whom and the time/date of the edit. Nothing more and nothing less. And the changed post is what appears on the forum pages, the original post is now long deleted and gone, no way to recover it unless the forum had been backed up before the edit took place, which in the case of the LOR forums, having a 1 hour limit from the time of the initial post when it was available, is very doubtful.

So yes, I'm sure that is why the edit buttons have been disabled, as stated, the original post gets sent, EDITED POSTS DO NOT get sent. So by disabling the edit options, the original message can not be changed, so Dan can verify what was said initially and originally that was sent and can no longer be changed on the forum. That would be the only way to track any offensive/bullying messages would be to turn off the edit functions of the forum.

You really have had to run a forum, or know how the forum software functions to actually understand how it works, it's not as easy as many folks think it is.

Thats all well and fine But

If someone did post something that was offensive etc... they should be allowed to edit it so that it cant cause any additional damage

plus it would be nice to fix typos etc...

T110431 wrote:

Thats all well and fine But

If someone did post something that was offensive etc... they should be allowed to edit it so that it cant cause any additional damage

plus it would be nice to fix typos etc...

That's the point you're missing, the damage HAS BEEN DONE. Once it gets submitted, that is the one that goes out to the masses that have e-mail notifications turned on. Even though it may get edited later, that first message has been sent, therefore, it's very difficult to take back what has already been stated in the offensive message that got delivered. As any changes to the OP never go out, the changed/edited message is only available for viewing on the forum itself.

Sure you can change it on the forum, but as stated, a little too late, damage has been done from the offensive or whatever post has been sent.

Maybe we all need to think about that before hitting the submit/post button, then those messages would never leave the forum in the first place.

But once typed and posted, prior to any editing, that damage has been done.

As much as I miss the edit options, I still understand why it is currently disabled, maybe if things calm down and get back on an even keel, that option will be turned back on, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.