Light-O-Rama Forums

E1.31 Questions [Beta Released 6/8/12]

LightORamaJohn

Like 'soon' enough that I can buy some RGB strings and E1.31 controllers today , and by the time they are arrive an S3 update will support my new toys ?

next question...I just upgraded my license to advanced..... will this cover the E1.31 support?

If not, you can use xLights to play with the lights in the meantime. xLights is an open-source light control software that will accept LOR sequences (among other formats). It also has a pretty slick "hardware utility"-type thing that will test pixels.

This is what I used before the E1.31 beta became available. But hopefully LOR release will beat your shipment and you won't have to mess with xLights.

-Tim

The last update was over a week ago. Looks like everyone been told to keep quiet.

Thomas

The last update was over a week ago. Looks like everyone been told to keep quiet.

That's the nature of ANY non-public beta, not just LOR. I will say that we betas don't know the release date either, but even if we did, and it wasn't announced publicly yet, we wouldn't (shouldn't) share it.

If not, you can use xLights to play with the lights in the meantime. xLights is an open-source light control software that will accept LOR sequences (among other formats). It also has a pretty slick "hardware utility"-type thing that will test pixels.

This is what I used before the E1.31 beta became available. But hopefully LOR release will beat your shipment and you won't have to mess with xLights.

-Tim

I tried to download Xlights and Norton said it was not safe. I wasn't sure about the link I downloaded it from so I didn't accept it. Is there a good known link to download Xlights?

Is anyone else gonna check their friendly LOR Help Forum 8 bazillion times tomorrow to see if there's anything new posted in the announcements section???? Hmmm???

Jeff :ph34r:

I think that will do it. I have a feeling this thread is about to exploded with views based on that statement!

Just so everyone is aware xLights will not support LOR anymore after the next release. It was announced at the Academy. If you use xLights with LOR you may want to keep your current version as the next ones will not support it. If you were planning on running E1.31 networks and LOR networks you will need to stick with LOR software, once it is released.

Greg

Just so everyone is aware xLights will not support LOR anymore after the next release. It was announced at the Academy. If you use xLights with LOR you may want to keep your current version as the next ones will not support it. If you were planning on running E1.31 networks and LOR networks you will need to stick with LOR software, once it is released.

Greg - not that it matters anymore now that LOR will have E1.31 support, but what is the reason for this?

From what I understand (now I was not at the Academy so this is what I am hearing through other people) the protocol will no longer be supported. So, if you wanted to use your LOR controllers as LOR controllers (not in DMX mode) you could not use xLights anymore.

As Tim stated, it doesn't really matter as LOR will be the best of both worlds...actually all the worlds...so I wouldn't even consider xLights anymore.

As far as the reasoning I don't know for sure but I do have my suspicions. (none releated to LOR...just to be clear and I avoid the lawsuits...haha)

Greg

Tim I remember the guy (Brown, I think) posted a list of things and improvements to xLights for 2012 on DIYLA and said his favourite one was not supporting the LOR protocol anymore (as it takes a lot of his time programming) in favor of using LOR in DMX mode.

Tim I remember the guy (Brown, I think) posted a list of things and improvements to xLights for 2012 on DIYLA and said his favourite one was not supporting the LOR protocol anymore (as it takes a lot of his time programming) in favor of using LOR in DMX mode.

Well I'm one of the biggest fans of the LOR software so it doesn't really bother me. But it's too bad in a way. Running LOR in DMX mode isn't as powerful as running it in Native mode. Sure you can emulate the special effects (like shimmer) in software, but why, when there's on-board firmware to do it for you?

• Like 1

Yes, S3 is by far the most powerful and stable platform out there. With the introduction of E1.31 there really is no need to use any other software out there...at least in my opinion.

One thing they need to add, and I have spoken to Bob about this, is support for Console control for DMX and E1.31 devices. That, in my opinion, will make it the absolute clear choice for anyone out there.

Greg

In additinon to E1.31 and DMX in the HU, add support for pixel devices (non-ccrs) in the vis. Or maybe you beta testers know something I don't?? :D You can tell me!!;)

• Like 1