Light-O-Rama Forums

6.3.0 is working - with Falcon Player

k6ccc

Noted.  Remember that if you are going to attempt to use TimeCode from LOR to FPP (what this thread is about), you MUST use FPP Version 8.

jim, I mentioned to you that I was having problems getting timecodes to work when running with MIIP and you said it was working for you.  I have gone back and reran my tests and documente everything I've done.  Can you see where I have made a mistake.

UPDATE: I have it partially working.  If you don't want to read through all of my trials and tribulations, skip to the section CONCLUSION

First, I upgraded MIIP to 1.7.0.6.  Without timecodes,  Miip works fine.  I have a small show (8 sequences) and can vote up sequences, have stopped Miip and LOR and restarted them in any order and everything works fine.

Second, I have tested timecodes without Miip and everything works fine.  Note, I removed the Network entries for my P5 panels, so if I play a sequence that has a zero timecode, I will see nothing on the P5 panel.  (before I did this, I would still see the sequence on the P5 panel because LOR was sending data across the network).

Note, from this point on, every time I start LOR the Play Sow screen show Time Code Leader as Currently Playing and MiipShowS6 as Current Show (paused)

Now for my test with Miip and timecodes.  I started Miip first.  I then started LOR.  Once initialized, it started playing the first sequence in my Miip show.  Of course, I had not added timecodes, yet, so I got nothing on the P5 panels. I then used LOR Create Show to modify MiipShowS6 to add timecodes that agree with the timecodes in the FPP Playlist.  When I saved it, Miip gave me the pop-up message "silent tamper ...".  I selected OK and went back and looked at MiipShowS6 and the timecodes were still there.  I let the next song in the Miip show play but nothing displayed on the P5 panels.  I tried voting up songs and still nothing.  I looked in MiipShowS6 and the timecodes were still there.

I shut down Miip and restarted it  and the first song started playing, but nothing on the P5's.  I ltooked again at MiipShowS6 and the timecodes were still there.  I then shut down Miip.  Timecodes stiill there.  I then shut down LOR and restarted it.  This time I looked and the timecodes were all back to zero!  I put the timecodes back in and started Miip.  Timecodes stay in, but nothing on the P5.  I shutdown Miip and stop MiipShowS6 in LOR and run my timecode test show in LOR and it works fine. 

I shut down LOR and restart it and the time codes are gone again in MiipShowS6.  (timecode are still in my timecode test show).

I added timecodes back and shut down LOR (never having brought up Miip) and restart LOR and time codes are still there.  I brought Miip up again (expecting it not to work) BUT IT STARTED WORKING!!!!! i tested and everything seemed to work fine.

I then shut down Miip and LOR and started LOR up again and the time codes are gone!

CONCLUSION

After several further tests, here is what is happening.  In order to make it work, I have to start LOR and update MiipShowS6 with time codes.  I then have to shutdown LOR and restart it.  I can then bring up Miip and it will run fine.  I can recycle Miip as often as I want and it will continue to work correctly.  However, if I recycle LOR the time codes will be gone and I have start over.

Note, if I do not recycle LOR after I have updated the time codes, I will get nothing on my P5 panels even though the time code are in MiipShowS6.  

I don't understand why this is happening, but that's what I see.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  I will do some further testing this evening after I get home.  Sounds liike MIIP and S6 are fighting each other - as Bob had also observed.

Just to make sure both people who need to see this:  @ItsMeBobO @MattBrown

The .lss using timecodes has these new fields.   I can change miip to fill these in.  Is 10 minutes between them ok with you?    The time code will be locked in for a run of miip.  But will change when miip reloads and when songs are added/removed by the miip user.

,(PT1H,PT1H30M,PT2H,PT2H30M,PT3H,PT3H30M,PT4H,PT4H30M,PT5H,PT5H30M,PT6H,PT6H30M,PT7H,PT7H30M,PT8H,PT8H30M,PT9H,PT9H30M,PT10H,PT10H30M,PT11H,PT11H30M,PT12H,PT12H30M,PT13H,PT13H30M,PT14H,PT14H30M,PT15H),PT23H1M),

Bob, Ideally there would be a field in MIIP settings for each song that would have the desired TimeCode.  That way no matter what changes with number of songs or order, that song will always have the same TimeCode.  That is a requirement because any change to the TimeCode for each sequence needs to be made in every FPP instance.  For example if you have four matrix panels running FPP using TimeCode, any change to the Timecode used would have to be made in all four FPP instances.

32 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Bob, Ideally there would be a field in MIIP settings for each song that would have the desired TimeCode.  That way no matter what changes with number of songs or order, that song will always have the same TimeCode.  That is a requirement because any change to the TimeCode for each sequence needs to be made in every FPP instance.  For example if you have four matrix panels running FPP using TimeCode, any change to the Timecode used would have to be made in all four FPP instances.

I can certainly add a field to song table to allow entry and then add it to the verify report so all song timecodes can be seen in table form.  I will get that done this weekend. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO

Great to hear.  I'm working on hurricane recovery, but I should be abe to test when you are ready.  I'm replacing my micro SD card with a bigger one to hold all of the songs.  I see where fpp just came out with 8.1 this week, so I'll probably install that.

That would be great Bob.  As with Rick, I should be able to test when completed.

And the last of my four FPP instances were upgraded either from 8.0 or Master branch to 8.1.  I expect that will be locked for the season.

How do you want to enter time code?    CP displays  00:00:00 and says its 8 long,  but restricts to just hour 0-23 and minute 0-59 and always 00 seconds.     I think I want to provide two drop down with HH &MM values and display 00:00 form and store two fields of length 2.  The .lss time code will not display any leading zeros or minutes if 00.   like PT4H.    The defaults will be 00 & 00 and be PT0S in .lss

Edited by ItsMeBobO

two with hh and mm work for me.  I start my time codes at 01:00 and increment by 10 minutes in LOR and make sure the playlist in fpp matches.  I don't have any song that comes close to 10 minutes long.

This is the same request I put in with both Dan Kulp (who wrote the TimeCode reader for FPP, and one of the FPP developers), and also with Matt Brown.  Display it as HH:MM:SS because a 4 digit time is ambiguous - is it HM:MM or MM:SS?  The dropdown for HH and MM is fine for selecting it however.  Just for reference, in LOR as you found it is only HH and MM selection but displays as HH:MM:SS (my request).  In FPP it displays as HH:MM:SS (also my request) and does allow any time that you want from 00:00:00 to 23:59:59.

Just now, ItsMeBobO said:

Would it be ok to just offer six options?    00 10 20 30 40 50  for minutes?  

Would prefer any number for minutes - just as LOR does.  Every 10 minutes would limit you to 95 sequences - not likely a limitation for most.

I have over 50 sequences, but I never get rid of any, the just stay down in the "vote in" section,  I could easily get rid of some if I had to. I don't have a strong preference about limiting it to 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 or 00.  However, Jim, were did you get a limit of 95 sequences.  I thought the limit would be 143?  hours 0-23 and 6 minute options for each hour.  And you can't use 00:00.

29 minutes ago, rick gurnee said:

However, Jim, were did you get a limit of 95 sequences.  I thought the limit would be 143?  hours 0-23 and 6 minute options for each hour. 

Brain fade on my part.  Dan Kulp had suggested quarter hour increments which would be 95.  Correct 143 for 10 minute increments.

The members page to enter song detail has been change to accept and store timecode hours and minutes.   You may begin setting those values, wont be lost with any updates.   The report display, and push out to MiipShowS6.lss takes a release which will be a few days.

OK, I have all my Time Codes entered.  Took me a minute to realize what you did with the minutes, but I can see the reason.  One minor thing is you have the field labeled as FPP Time Code.  There are reasons other than FPP to use Time Codes, so you may want to just leave the FPP part off.  Of you could show a techie side and call it SMPTE Time Code - which is what it really is...

Thanks for your efforts.

Miip 1.7.0.7 has been deployed.   This should populate CP  MiipShowS6.lss with the time codes entered on the members Song page.   A column for Time code has been added to the verify song detail report. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO

Initial testing appears to be working correctly.  I had to recycle LOR and MIIP a couple of times to get them in sync, but it looks good.  When I was adding the time codes, I first thought you skipped minutes 10, 20, 30, etc.  then I found them at the top.  That made entering them a lot easier to enter.  Thanks.