Light-O-Rama Forums

P5 Panels

rick gurnee

29 minutes ago, rick gurnee said:

I plan on using the usb to Gig-E adapter on the pi to color light side, but I will have a second usb to Gig-E adapter that I could use on the PC side rather than plugging it into the switch.

A (dumb) switch does not isolate networks. To do that, you would need VLANS (a Managed Switch), so what Jim is saying..  Why, when there is no isolation with a single switch.

Next Q, is what wiould that second GigE talk to. Do you have GIG network storage devices that your Laptop need fast access?

Now that I figured it out - he's planning on using the USB to Gig-E adapter on his show computer instead of the built in 10/100 Ethernet port for his E1.31 network.  It would make everything between the show computer and the RasPi operate at Gig.  As I said, not likely an issue unless he will be running over 200 universes.

It would allow leaving the 10/100 port for his normal home network so he could make updates to it without physically touching the show computer.

One comment.

I see the word switch being used a lot and no mention of a router anywhere.

Just checking.

Was lucky in my case, I had an extra one sitting around with a built in 5 port switch, so it made things easy.

1 minute ago, stevehoyt said:

One comment.

I see the word switch being used a lot and no mention of a router anywhere.

Just checking.

Was lucky in my case, I had an extra one sitting around with a built in 5 port switch, so it made things easy.

For the purpose, no router needed or even desired.  A switch is the correct device.

If you are going for performance, don't go for a cheapie.

Switches normally have transfer delays (more, if it is doing a speed change). A SoHo grade is better than a strictly consumer grade (usually Plastic cased).  (My fav for years has been the Blue, metal cased Netgear (GS  and the earlier FS).  

I have 3 of those in various locations (behind TV/Bluray/(receivers) And the 8 port under my office desk.

Remember you need 1 more port than devices attached when distributed like I do. That is the the backbone -home run (Comcast in my case)

Extra ports are always handy if you need to work trouble fix at the location

Consider a w/POE version (they have a 8port has 4 POE) if you want to place a wired security cam out there.

Argh!  Hauled out two of my old ColorLight cards.  Being reminder just how much of a pan in the backside they were to set up!

No guarantee that I have any hair left by the end of the night...

I ordered one of their senders and it is arriving tomorrow. I am going to try to make the panel into a backyard outdoor TV for the off season. 

In any case, I should have my full setup up and running in a few days, if the rains stops.

@k6ccc

If there is anything you need tried on a second system let me know , I would be glad to help.

Steve

@stevehoyt

At the moment the challenge is just to guess what version of LEDVision is required for the version of ColorLight cards that I have.  Tried three different versions and can't communicate with either of my ColorLight cards.

Jim, you're not giving me a lot of confidence... if you can't get it working, I'm going to be in trouble.  Wired Watts says they are going to have a sale "soon", so I am waiting to place my order.  Of course, I could order the Pi and Color Light cars ahead of time to get started, but there is not much I can do without the panels.

Steve, keep us informed on how the sender works.  Which one did you get?

36 minutes ago, rick gurnee said:

Jim, you're not giving me a lot of confidence... if you can't get it working, I'm going to be in trouble.

The only way could get the ColorLight configured how ever many years ago that was, was to get onto the xLights/Falcon Zoom room.  The ColorLight cards were in my opinion a royal pain is the backsides.  That's why I only used them one year.  They did work well once configured.

Good Morning.  @rick gurnee @k6ccc

I got the Colorlight X2 sender. One HDMI, one display port input ,2 gig outputs to the P5 panel. Customs problems. It just cleared LA and is on the way. It looks like I will get it all connected this weekend now.

Jim

What problem did you have with the color light card. Was it perhaps before they added a color light card support to FPP?

In any case

Rick,  

Once I get my setup back together, I will be able to give you exact versions for all the color light software and the FPP version I used. So at least you will know, you will have a setup that has been tested, tried and ran for the season with no issues. 

My biggest issue was that they had loaded a newer untested version of software on my color light card. It caused flickering on the P5 panel and would not work with the latest version of FPP. Once I figured that out and backed off to an earlier tested version all was fine.  It was not hard to get the rest going.

I am sure if you have any problems one of us on here will be able to help you. 

@stevehoyt  I ran ColorLights with my P5 and P10 matrix one year - about 5 years ago.  Worked fine, but the ColorLight setup was a pain in the backside.  Dug out the same ColorLight cards and so far can't find a version of LEDVision that supports my card versions.  I don't remember what version I used, but it was something like version 5 or 6 - don't have that computer anymore.  I have so far tried three versions of LEDVision and they all complain that I need to use an older version. I have not found a magic decoder ring with the card version to what LEDVision software version.

Edited by k6ccc

Magically DHL delivered my sender box yesterday ... Hooray

I plan on firing everything up today or tomorrow and I will post versions of all software/hardware that runs for me.

As a sidelight remember, when you run any of the color light software,  you have to do the right mouse trick

"Run as admin" 

I have heard that strange problems happen if not, though it doesn't sound like your issue @k6ccc  @rick gurnee

Edited by stevehoyt

Thanks for the heads up.  None of the videos I saw mentioned the admin issue.

@rick gurnee @k6ccc

Here is an excellent you tube video, describing about everything, about the color light card. I have it bookmarked.

check out around 9:55 where he talks about the run as admin topic.

I watched his video on building a 7x8 indoor panel and made a note to watch some of his other videos.  Hadn't gotten to this one, yet.  Thanks.

@rick gurnee

Got everything hooked up yesterday. BTW It looks/works great as an outdoor TV. A good use of it in the off season. 

In any case, before I would forget,  I thought I would document the versions I had running for my christmas display.  These were outdated when I used them, and will be even more outdated by the time you get yours built, but at least you know a tested combination if need be.

Receiver Type 5A version 11.08 v8

LED Vision 8.5

FPP v 7.3.1

Steve, I watched that video last night, but was really tired so went to bed early rather than play with it.  I hope the "Run as Admin" is the solution to not being able to get any version that I have tried to recognize either ColorLight card.